homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Protein powder problem.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Protein powder problem.
GameGod
Geek
Member # 620

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted September 06, 2003 08:44      Profile for GameGod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently started body building and I am buying several supplements to help my cause.
I can take creatine no problem, but its the protein powder [blush]
I bought chocolate whey protein powder, and the taste is disgusting!! It could either be the brand, or just me. Other bodybuilders I know don't mind the taste at all, but they use other brands, I haven't gotten around to trying them.
Could it be me though? Could my tastebuds have some allergic reaction?
Are there any alternatives to getting alot of protein without using powder? maybe a shot or a pill?

--------------------
Well...that was fun =)

Posts: 153 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2003 16:11      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Save the money you would have wasted on powders, and spend it on a nice juicy steak.

If you're not a vegetarian, and eat anything like the typical canadian, you're nowhere near needing protein supplements. Too much protein (like my workmate who practically lives on the powdered stuff you mention) can cause all sorts of problems, and there's simply no need. If you're body-building _really_seriously_, you'll put on maybe 50 grams of muscle a day, which is well within the ability of a normal diet to supply.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2003 17:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh - when I saw the title of this thread, I thought this was something of a totally different nature. I guess Xanthine has rubbed off on me a bit [Smile] . I surely thought this was some kind of complicated thing, most likely involving amino acids, base pairs, and the like - no, it's about a diet ^_~.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drax
Newbie Larva
Member # 2361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2003 19:41      Profile for Drax   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I use designer whey protein. Errr, chocolate flavor. What are you mixing it with? Milk or water? There is a big difference in the taste and texture when you mix with water or milk. And if you actually want to build muscle mass, you need to get about..... your body weight in grams of protein in a given day. Although I don't think the body can process more than 50g or so during a 4-6 hour period. Anymore than that and you'll excrete it. Yea most of the flavors are disgusting, but you kinda become numb or used to it after a while. And it also helps if you chug it so you don't constantly taste the after-taste. If you have anymore questions just ask [thumbsup]

--------------------
And you KNOW this, man!

Posts: 7 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Drax
Newbie Larva
Member # 2361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2003 19:42      Profile for Drax   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and by the way, buying steak to get protein is more expensive [shake head]

--------------------
And you KNOW this, man!

Posts: 7 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2003 01:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Drax:
Oh and by the way, buying steak to get protein is more expensive [shake head]

Maybe, but is anyone posting here about the horrible taste of prime steak?

<homer>
Hmmm, steak......
</homer>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2003 05:22      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And you can't barbeque protein powder. [Wink]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2003 04:15      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GameGod:
I recently started body building and I am buying several supplements to help my cause.
I can take creatine no problem, but its the protein powder [blush]
I bought chocolate whey protein powder, and the taste is disgusting!! It could either be the brand, or just me. Other bodybuilders I know don't mind the taste at all, but they use other brands, I haven't gotten around to trying them.
Could it be me though? Could my tastebuds have some allergic reaction?
Are there any alternatives to getting alot of protein without using powder? maybe a shot or a pill?

I use Puritan's Pride chocolate and vanilla. They are both okay with milk and horrible with water. A guy I work with mixes the vanilla with cherry koolaid in a blender, so I tried that and its pretty good, too.

--------------------
Rednivek - Detroit, Michigan, USA

Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
BellaDonna
Geek
Member # 2123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2003 07:17      Profile for BellaDonna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My husband's a power lifter and personal trainer and he suggests Muscle Milk if you don't add anything to it. And he uses 100% Whey Protein to mix stuff into. He seems to like it though I think there was some getting used to it. I've tried his protein bars before and I don't see how he can like them. Its like eating a lead bar. I've never tried one of his shakes, but they smell yummy.

--------------------
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein

Super Flippy

SuperFan!
Member # 1101

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2003 10:03      Profile for Super Flippy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did the Body for Life thing for a while, and found the recipes on the web site very helpful for making better-tasting shakes (scroll to the bottom of the page and search for "Myoplex"). Even though the recipes say to use Myoplex, they'll work with any brand of flavored protein powder.

One of my favorites is the mint chocolate shake:
- 1 serving chocolate powder
- 10-12 oz. skim milk
- a few drops of peppermint extract
- 4 ice cubes
Blend in a blender until smooth.

Also, you can add the powder to Jello sugar-free instant pudding if you don't like shakes. ("Protein pudding" sounds naughty, doesn't it?)

Posts: 337 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2003 15:33      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Supplements. Ugh. I use Luna Bars and the like when climbing, mainly because that's the only time I feel the need. Even then they rarely taste good unless I'm so bonked that just about anything would be a delicacy, including boot leather. Otherwise, I just eat food. My mom wants me to take vitamins since she's afraid I don't get enough iron but I'd rather eat spinach and chard and other yummy green things than pop pills that leave me with a weird aftertaste and cost $10/bottle.

Unless you'rea pro who lifts all day long you really don't need things like whey protein. You should, if you are eating sensibly like your doc, your mom, the magazines and the packaging all say you should, be getting enough protein already. Anything extra is just going to get excreted as piss, and that's really tough on the kidneys.

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2003 17:49      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BellaDonna:
My husband's a power lifter and personal trainer

Remind me to never, ever, flirt with you [Wink]

--------------------

nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted September 11, 2003 07:39      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dunno much about this bodybuilding malarkey (as anyone who's seen me with my top off will testify) but...

Why The Best Energy Bar is Probably a Banana

And yes, I too assumed the answer to this thread was going to involve lyophilisation...

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2003 10:06      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
creatine is banned in australia
Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2003 10:12      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Creatine is what they look for in pee if they think you're digesting your own muscle.

For some reason I knew that this was not going to have anything to do with anyhting I do in lab, though if someone wants to start a thread on minimal dropout media, go right ahead... We feed yeast lots of protein powder. [Smile]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2003 10:21      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i know they are also trying to ban epherdra-- the weight loss suppliment but maybe they already have?

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture