homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Movie VS. Video Game (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Movie VS. Video Game
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted September 01, 2003 01:53      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott (Neotatsu) and I are debating this. Well, sort of... I am mostly. I happen to think that you can't really compare a movie to a video game. We're talking horror here, people.

I believe that the size of the screen and Surround Sound has much to do with the building of the audience's suspense. Another point I want to make is that the characters used in video games aren't real people, and it's easier to connect with the setting and fear with human beings in a movie than with cartoons in a video game. At least in my point of view... but that's why I'm posting this. I'd like to know if others agree with Scott and if you could please try to enlighten me.

Scott also says that there aren't any other video games that scare him except one series called Silent Hill. If any of you have played this game or know people who have, please share that as well.

--------------------
Mmmmrreow!

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2003 01:59      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, video games you can get in touch with the fear of the character because you're putting yourself in their position.. That is, if you get as into video games as I often do when I play them [Smile] [Razz]

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2003 02:11      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really a huge horror fan, but I will stay this.

When Doom was only fairly new, someone released an "Alien" mod for it. Complete single player scenario. I decided to play that with the lights out and sound turned up.

Scary experience...

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2003 06:46      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Games can be scary, like films. In fact I've probably had more scares from games. Silent hill, resident evil, alien vs predator and doom 2 all made me rather scared at one point or another. Not knowing what is around the next corner, but knowing that it isn't going to be friendly can get to you. Of course, suspense is necessary as well.
As far as films, only 2 have really scared me in the same sort of way. The shining and the texas chainsaw massacre both have a feeling where you don't have any clue as to what is going to happen next.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2003 06:57      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Neo on this one. There are few good horror movies these days, and video games draw you in because your taking an active roll. Watching a movie or TV is a passive act, you can do other things and doesn't invest your attention span. That being said, I can't remember being afraid of a game, and there are a few movies that have gotten to me. I think the reason is because there aren't a lot of horror games, there are a lot of gore games (but not and/many horror).

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2003 03:18      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this whole thing started before I actually got to playing SH:3.. I was terribly frightened by the first game (But I think I was 9 or ten when that came out..), the seccond game was ok at first, but it started to get to me about 20 minutes into it.. This one, I must say, while quite creepy and eerie (and slightly confusing at this point), is not at all scary.. *sigh* I guess it's just because I'm older, guessing by how many people I have heard say that it scared the hell out of them. Or perhaps I'm just not far enough into the game yet [Razz]

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
G-3PO
Geek
Member # 1851

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2003 14:06      Profile for G-3PO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Resident Evil. Turn the lights out, and just....play. You'll get the idea. Its even worse if you're alone while playing.....

--------------------
For large values of one, one equals two, for small values of two.

Posts: 187 | From: Augusta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2003 15:12            Edit/Delete Post 
I get scared when the monsters chase me in Ms. Pac Man [Razz]

I haven't tried Resident Evil, I did recently pick up Eternal Darkness for the GCN but have not played it enough to know if it's scary yet.

IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2003 16:51      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
for classic pc gaming horror im surprised nobody has mentioned System Shock or System Shock 2 both were fairly scary

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2003 02:44      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's just that you are getting older. I think games (and movies) become less scary as they get more sophisticated. There has to be a slighly raw unfinished quality in either for them to be truly scary. That's what "The Blair Witch Project" tapped into, and likewise "The Night Of The Living Dead".

I think that likewise the incredibly sophisticated flashy hyper realistic graphics of most modern FPS games now, only tends to emphasise that it is only a game. Things that are less well drawn work better for me. I think your imagination works in gaps between the pixels. So I too vote for Doom, Doom 2, and maybe the first Marathon.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
shlide
Newbie Larva
Member # 1751

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2003 05:27      Profile for shlide     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
first off, I'm saddened to hear that somebody was actually scared by the Blair Witch Project. There was no suspense, no action, no suprises.

For games, I'd have to suggest Clive Barker's Undying. When the game first starts off you're in a courtyard walking up to the front door of a mansion. I'm just looking around and try to figure out what all the weapons and powers do and I accidentally scryed while looking at a lamp post. All of a sudden I see a dead body hanging from the post. Many things in the game change appearance (most paintings) while scrying. There are suprises. There are times where you have to kill 'things' based on sound because there is so much fog (and turning up the brightness don't help). Only game to send a shivver up and down my spine.

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2003 07:54      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movies that did frighten me:
IT (hey, I was young), Entity...

Blair Witch Project I tought would freak me out, but I was SERIOUSLY dissapointed. "Oh, look... sticks and trees.... Oh... and more trees." Finally near the end they had a chance to make it scary, but then it just ended. [thumbsdown] [thumbsdown] [thumbsdown] [thumbsdown]

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Titanium Warrior
Alpha Geek
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2003 10:38      Profile for Titanium Warrior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by G-3PO:
Resident Evil. Turn the lights out, and just....play. You'll get the idea. Its even worse if you're alone while playing.....

During it's time, that game scared me pretty good.... or at least startled.

Part of it is that in video games, it is an immersive experience, but it's also like a lucid dream where you're in control.

TiW

--------------------
I used to have super powers until my therapist took them away.

Posts: 333 | From: Victoria, BC Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted September 03, 2003 12:29      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm a wimp, but I found Unreal to be one of the scariest games ever. That bit in the beginning where you see the bodies being tossed around, but can't see the monster? Yeegh.

Still gives me chills.

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
alphacomp
Mini Geek
Member # 1482

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2003 16:10      Profile for alphacomp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hm- I tend to get scared by both equally. I remember being freaked out by the zombies in RE2 breaking through the police station windows and grabbing Leon or Claire.
...In broad daylight. With the lights on.

Methinks it could be because of the fact that my imagination tends to extend the movie plot past the movie itself and into real life. A good example of this was when I saw 28 Days Later. After watching that movie, I was freaked out for 2 days after watching that movie, fearing that I would see infected people running around eating each other outside my window.XD

Oddly, the same thing happened with me after reading various Paul McCartney death rumors from the 60s. I had this incredibly irrational fear that the supposed dead body of Paul McCartney would rise from an unmarked grave and swim all the way to New York to just walk around my room and freak me out.

-alphacomp

--------------------
---"More power to your elbow!"---

Posts: 59 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tyler Durden
Highlie
Member # 1545

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2003 17:13      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

--------------------
that's it sir, you're leaving...the crackle of pig skin...the dust and the screaming...the yuppies networking
the panic...the vomit...the panic...the vomit
god loves his children...god loves his children...yeah

Posts: 682 | From: DFW, TX | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2003 09:36      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never had a Video game creep me out before. and the only movies to realy make me even uncomfortable (in a non-sexual way)were The Exorcist, IT and The Ring. Don't know why these ones did it but they did. Heh heh now I clown profesionaly as a side job how ironic is that?
Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Drax
Newbie Larva
Member # 2361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2003 21:17      Profile for Drax   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I gotta say, for scary movies : It, The Ring, 28 days later, and for their time, because I was young, the freddy krugar series. I mean that series was MADE to give kids nightmares, look at the plot behind the movie. If you go to sleep, freddy can getcha! When i watch those movies now, i laugh. But when you're like 13, that stuff is scary as hell!

As for games..... yea silent hill and resident evil are good if you turn down the lights and turn the sound up a bit.

Posts: 7 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted September 04, 2003 23:04      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I hate you Tyler [cry baby] ! *staring at her TV screen*

The only movies that have ever scared me are IT (haven't been to a circus/fair since 1995 for that reason alone) and The Ring. The Ring really surprised me... I thought it was going to be just another cheesied-up modern horror flick. Believe me, I've seen many many horror movies (started watching at 5 yrs. old), and The Ring is the only one that's ever scared the jimmibeans outta me. I was paranoid afterwards too, wondering if I would get a call in 7 days or what I might find in the closet... [weep]

Anyway, enough of that. I've only started getting over the fact that it's not real (o.o). Getting back to the original topic: I think I need to play a lot more video games in order to really compare the two. The most gaming experience I've had so far was with DAoC, which I was quit addicted to,... but Scott took that away from me [Frown] . I think he mentioned in his Star Wars Galaxies thread that he'll be playing it again soon.

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tyler Durden
Highlie
Member # 1545

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2003 22:45      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twinkle Toes:
Oh, I hate you Tyler [cry baby] ! *staring at her TV screen*

day 1

day 2

day 3

day 4

day 5

day 6

day 7

-

^_^

--------------------
that's it sir, you're leaving...the crackle of pig skin...the dust and the screaming...the yuppies networking
the panic...the vomit...the panic...the vomit
god loves his children...god loves his children...yeah

Posts: 682 | From: DFW, TX | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2003 23:07      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, it's Gollum with hair [Big Grin]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2003 17:43      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks more like Grima Wormtongue to me.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2003 18:52      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe Marilyn Manson and Grima Wormtongue's love child [Smile]
Sinn
Mini Geek
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2003 22:43      Profile for Sinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The single scariest (entertainment related) experience I have ever had was from a mod for Half-Life. I had just installed a new 3D soundcard in my rig and was playing the mod for the first time. The name of it was "They Hunger" and it was a freaky Zombie sort of thing in a remote monastery graveyard. I had the lights out and it was about 2am. Every single time a zombie snapped a twig or shuffled about it sent shivers up my spine (remember new 3D soundcard... the sounds came from all around me). I promptly cut the lights back on and saved the game for daytime.
Posts: 64 | From: Kerhonkson, NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The_Psychogenius
Mini Geek
Member # 2366

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2003 02:56      Profile for The_Psychogenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was younger (8-11ish) the ghosts in Super Mario Bros. 3 (Boo Diddly), the ones that chase you when you turn away, used to creep me out, go figure, and here I was with a friend of mine a few months back playing "Alone In The Dark" and my friend was terrified while I was not scared at all.

Movies, I used to get bothered by Freddy Krueger a little for some reason in some parts, mostly just because I'm another one of us with one of those "Extend-o-Imaginations" that causes things to seem more real than they really are where entertainment things are concerned.

--------------------
Chaos, and Lunacy are all good things.

Posts: 79 | From: Everett, Wa | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture