homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » TV in the UK - Geek to Gorgeous (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: TV in the UK - Geek to Gorgeous
The Salon
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2351

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2003 10:19      Profile for The Salon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there

I am working on a TV show called 'The Salon' for Channel 4 in the UK and am looking for a geek who is based in or around London to come on the show for a complete transformation (clothes, hair etc).

It would be great if someone who is up for it to contact me at:

[email protected]

Many thanks and pass it on to anyone you think may be suitable.

Aaron Paul

Posts: 2 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 28, 2003 10:32      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok littlefish, Alan, cheezi, spungo... Who is up for the challenge????

Hi Salon... take your pick of geeks :-)

-

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2003 11:57      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
isnt a geek getting a makeover kinda a oxymoron?
Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Super Flippy

SuperFan!
Member # 1101

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2003 13:03      Profile for Super Flippy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No offense, Channel 4, but I'd kind of like to watch the reverse: a "Generic to Geek" show where your average prettyboy gets a crash course in the world of Geekdom. But then, I have a thing for geek guys (married a physicist, etc.).
Posts: 337 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 4 posted August 28, 2003 13:10      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how about you bring soneone from USA over and do it?

/me volunteers!

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2003 13:23      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Ok littlefish, Alan, cheezi, spungo... Who is up for the challenge????

Hi Salon... take your pick of geeks :-)

I absolutely forbid Salon to touch a single one of those geeks!!!
They're perfect just as they are. [Smile]

Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2003 13:33      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awww, thanks Jess. Mind you, I never liked the salon anyway. I guess I'd go on if I could get a shoe-in for the next big brother....
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2003 14:20      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jessycat:
I absolutely forbid Salon to touch a single one of those geeks!!!
They're perfect just as they are. [Smile] [/QB]

[hearts]
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2003 14:37      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um, pardon me for asking, but why should any geek be made over? Gorgeous isn't necessarily practical after all (at least where I work it isn't).
Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shinaku
Alpha Geek
Member # 2027

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2003 14:38      Profile for Shinaku   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmm, Can I enter Uilleann? He could be transformed into Ozzie Osborne...not much of a transformation like [Razz]

No, Uilleann, enter! Have a laugh. You only live once. [Smile]

erm...don't you find that a bit insulting anyway? Transform a geek into a normal person, wearing normal clothes and hair. I am normal anyway [crazy]

Posts: 312 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2003 15:11      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. What Jess said.

I find it so hard to believe that the geeks we met in England AND Scotland are not taken. I keep telling cheezi that they're not appreciated in their country. They need to come here where they will be revered as the wonderful, sexy guys they are! [blush]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2003 16:37      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....Uillean won't leave the house though

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted August 28, 2003 16:47      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
awww Jessycat, that is sooo sweet!

but really though... what if they salon'd up one of these geeks, and flew you over to judge the transformation???? Now that would be good TV. :-)

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2003 21:02            Edit/Delete Post 
...He could be transformed into Ozzie Osborne
Hehe... what, paint in lots of lines on my face to make me look like my body has endured years of drug abuse? ;P

No, Uilleann, enter!
Well, going by what SupportGoddess says, I don't think I have any need to enter [Smile]

You only live once.
Sure, but I don't plan on dying either - muahahahahaha

erm...don't you find that a bit insulting anyway?
Indeed - I resent the idea, personally. Why are geeks in general classified as a group of people whose appearance is inadequate (nice stereotyping there). Why should we be expected to reject our natural physical appearance and chosen appearance (clothes etc) to conform to society's standards in appearance? What will that gain us or anyone?

Anyhow, I direct The Salon to our photo album - do we look like we all need makeovers?

I find it so hard to believe that the geeks we met in England AND Scotland are not taken.
I'm not sure I do - there seems to be a shortage of female geeks in this country. Though it is curious then that skylar has twice wound up in a relationship with an American. What does that suggest?

Anyhow, I personally vote we send Cap'n Vic in. Not to make over his body, but his mind - it's awfully stuck in a narrow little rut as of late that it wants dragging out of...

IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2003 21:32      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Smegedinashed:
hmm, Can I enter Uilleann?

<derail mode on>
You'll have to ask him that [Eek!] [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2003 22:13      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

You might try buying him dinner and flowers first
[evil]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2003 23:30      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

You might try buying him dinner and flowers first
[evil]

Hahahahaha

quote:
Uilleann: Anyhow, I personally vote we send Cap'n Vic in. Not to make over his body, but his mind - it's awfully stuck in a narrow little rut as of late that it wants dragging out of...
Lighten up, Ui. You deserved some ribbing for the pissy mood you had a few weeks back. Anywho. I couldn't be further from Lunnun.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2003 23:54      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:
Uilleann: Anyhow, I personally vote we send Cap'n Vic in. Not to make over his body, but his mind - it's awfully stuck in a narrow little rut as of late that it wants dragging out of...
Lighten up, Ui. You deserved some ribbing for the pissy mood you had a few weeks back.
Wasn't he just giving some back for all the ribbing you've been giving him? You have hassled him a fair bit lately, so a bit of return fire is fair enough IMO.
Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Salon
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2351

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2003 02:49      Profile for The Salon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there

I am amazed by the level of discussion I triggered by what I thought was a bit of a shot in the dark!

It's really good that you guys are having so much dialogue and I want to just apologise if I offended anyone. I am not out there to try to humiliate anyone, or have a laugh at anyone else's expense, I honestly think the experience will be excellent fun as well giving the person involved the opportunity to be utterly pampered and doted on for a day. I think it sounds like a really fun day!

I also agree that the term 'Geek to Gorgeous' may seem like an insult but it isn't meant that way, it was just used as a means of description in 'Media Speak'. I actually think it would be great if the person who came on turned round at the end of the transformation and said 'F**k you, I looked so much better before!'

As an aside, I am doing a dry run of this thing in the next couple of weeks which will not be broadcast (we don't go on air until the middle of September) and I really need someone to come on for exactly the same thing. So someone could come on, have the benefit of all the pampering and the clothes etc, but without it being broadcast to 2 million people.

It would be great if someone could email me today! Come on you know you want to!

Cheers

Aaron Paul
The Salon - Series Two

020 7478 1203
[email protected]

Posts: 2 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2003 03:13      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Come on you know you want to!
<pantomime class="audience">Oh no we don't!</pantomime>
[evil]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2003 03:59      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I nominate Skylar. [evil]

(Well, if no one does, the Cheez might get the gig - and do you really want that? ) [Wink]

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2003 04:08      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<pantomime class="audience_chanting">Skylie! Skylie! Skylie!</pantomime>
[Big Grin]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mister Boo

Member # 1419

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 29, 2003 04:21      Profile for Mister Boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for Dr. Spungo!

(Not that I think you need it spungy [Wink] )

--------------------
Geekculture's Original Boo

Posts: 314 | From: Naugatuck, CT | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2003 04:50      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the problem is that reality shows all have an agenda, and they are more interested in presenting a pre-determined story line, than actually taking a bit of effort and researching the area properly and developing the actual real situation.

having said that i would do it if i had a final veto and if i was paid

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shapeshifter
Geek
Member # 2105

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 29, 2003 05:11      Profile for Shapeshifter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Though it is curious then that skylar has twice wound up in a relationship with an American. What does that suggest?

That Americans are just plain sexy?

--------------------
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not dying.
-Woody Allen

Posts: 152 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture