homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » MySQL

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MySQL
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2003 20:42      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am delving into the world of PHP and MySQL...

My delving has caused me to run into some problems.

When I try to do anything from the commandline, I get an ERROR 1044: Access denied for user: '[email protected]' to database 'whatever'

I thought I successfully set a root password...I even tried using a GUI to configure it :shudder: but can't do much of anything because it keeps denying access.

If any of this sounds stupid or like I'm clueless on the subject, it's because I am. It's all completely new to me.

Any ideas/suggestions?

-SM

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2003 20:50      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm...

I'm denied access from [email protected] from the commandline. And seemingly denied [email protected] (network computer name) from the GUI

Hopefully my GUI configuration attempts didn't mess something up.

Oh yeah, to make thing probably worse...I'm running this on Microshit windows xp pro...I have reasons that I won't go into right now [Mad]

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2003 22:02      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, haven't worked with MySQL in particular, but sounds like a database issue. Most RDBMs require you to explicitly grant access to a user to access tables. In other words, root doesn't necessarily have permission to access the tables you want. I'd suggest creating a non-root user, then reading the MySQL doco to find out how to give it permissions on databases/tables/etc. You might also find that there's a special database user (mysql maybe?) that is equivalent to root for MySQL.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2003 04:45      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wups... Sorry I missed this earlier...
I do a LOT of php/mysql work...
I don't recall what a 1044 is, but a 1045 is wrong password, which is easilly fixable by putting in the right password...
You ARE using mysql -p so that you are prompted for the pass, right?

Spiderman

Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2003 18:51      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ilovemydualg4:
Wups... Sorry I missed this earlier...
I do a LOT of php/mysql work...
I don't recall what a 1044 is, but a 1045 is wrong password, which is easilly fixable by putting in the right password...
You ARE using mysql -p so that you are prompted for the pass, right?

Yeah, password is being entered correctly and all...

I uninstalled and reinstalled it to start fresh because I figured I probably messed it up but run into the same problem.

--------------------

anthonyf
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2188

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted May 23, 2003 02:58      Profile for anthonyf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hay, I have had the same problem myself before. You enter a password, but don't get confirmation so you don't know if it has changed it or not. My solution was to delete the db file and create a new one using mysql dbfile --user root --password password, or something.
Does this help?

Posts: 16 | From: uk | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
MrJ
Geek-in-Training
Member # 730

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2003 15:19      Profile for MrJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
root is normally the MySQL superuser. According to the documentation the default Windows install gives all users access to all databases without a password. Maybe your "mysql" database is messed up, which is where the privileges are stored. Start the server with --skip-grant-tables to disable privileges and look for problems in the "mysql" database (tables "user", "db", and "host"). In "user" there should be an entry for root from localhost with everything enabled 'Y'. Maybe your GUI can check it. Set the password again with the right commands and then restart the server.
Posts: 35 | From: near Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2003 15:25      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone for the advice.

I finally got it running I think,

Living proof at http://www.itjosh.com/phpbb/

Anyway, time to move on and try to atually understand how and why it works.

Thanks again

--------------------

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2003 20:12      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I posted [Smile]

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture