homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » .png support in Windows? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: .png support in Windows?
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2003 10:47      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screen snip from Netscape 4.x:
 -

Screen snip from Mozilla 1.3:
 -

Sorry if it's slow to load. Most of my bandwidth is going to Freenet right at the moment.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
erp
Assimilated
Member # 602

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 24, 2003 15:40      Profile for erp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx everyone for the help and the positive remarks. I'll just chock this all up to experience. As for my site, I'm keepin' it like this for now. Screw it. Maybe I'll add a statement up front stating which browsers display it correctly.

When my next two sites come online (when I find the time to finish them), I'll look into simplifying things graphically. But who knows. Hopefully by then it won't be that much of an issue.

Anyone interested in contributing to a Mac opinion site? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." - Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)

Posts: 484 | From: beneath the Gables of Coral | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr Bill
Assimilated
Member # 553

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted March 24, 2003 22:21      Profile for Mr Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the record, Netscape 6.2 on win98se looks like greycat's second example, which I assume is the right look.

...and keep in mind, it's your site, I say do what you want. [crazy]

--------------
Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.
Robert Heinlein

Posts: 378 | From: Down the hall, second door on the right | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2003 00:22            Edit/Delete Post 
Contrary to popular belief, I discovered that PNGs can have alpha channels in Win IE. I was discussing the new ChiperSoft Systems' website with Chiper, and after mentioning the PNG in IE problem, he revealed that it can be done after all, and pointed me at this site:

http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/pngbehavior/pngbehavior.html

(That page is so smart-arse with JS and CSS that it might not work at all, so I have a reconstructed version that doesn't even use JavaScript any more.)

Of course, it would really help if Microsoft didn't insist that we rely on such arcane methods to make something really simple work...

IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2003 13:26      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Netscape 6.x and higher (actually 5.x and higher, but 5.x was never released) are branded mozilla. So yes, they render correctly. Netscape 4.x and earlier give abysmal results in many cases, but they're blazingly fast for people with old hardware. (Especially Netscape 3.x, which would even work well on a low-end 486.)
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
alphacomp
Mini Geek
Member # 1482

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2003 21:41      Profile for alphacomp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh-I ran into the same exact problem just last week, when I was redesigning my own site.
After searching for hours on Google, I found a really good workaround for using .PNGs in IE:

http://www.youngpup.net/?request=/snippets/sleight.xml

Just copy and paste the Javascript in the appropriate place in the HTML file, and you're done!

A word of caution: It doesn't work with PNG backgrounds.
If you need a PNG background in the future, however, just use CSS positioning for the background image and the script should work perfectly.

-alphacomp
P.S. Nice site! Speak 'n Spells rock. [Smile]

--------------------
---"More power to your elbow!"---

Posts: 59 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
rw

Member # 590

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2003 06:21      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a ton of info on the web about the (in)compatibility of various browsers with PNG. Do a search for "png browser". Here's an interesting page with test pages: http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/colorcube/
Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2003 16:25      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They look good, except that the shadows are unrealistically all the same straight angle.

--------------------
Rednivek - Detroit, Michigan, USA

Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture