homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » my class schedule next year

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: my class schedule next year
Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2003 20:16      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, I'm at a bit of an impasse about my class schedule for next year... I'll be a senior in high school.

Right now, I've got AP Government, AP English, AP Calculus, Honors Physics, and Newspaper.

What I WANT to take is Programming (Intro to C++ / VB) and Help Desk, which is basicly a "job" at school where like-minded geeks and I help the general populus with dumb iBook related problems.

However, according to EVERYONE (parents, guidance counselors, college admissions) I should have five academics instead of four, because three APs and an Honors is a slack schedule (sarcasm). If I was still taking a language, this would all be well and good, but I'm not too big on the European-language scene. (Why doesn't programming count as an academic? It's actually TWO languages! Sign language is an academic...)

So, fellow geeks, what should I take? Should I take a class like Creative Writing (hopefully easy and would help my writing...) and drop out of Help Desk? Or should I screw programming instead, because I could probably teach myself C and VB faster than the teacher could anyways? Or, finally, should I say "Enough with the bureacracy! I shall not live my life according to your standards!" and screw the fifth academic?

Remember... I gotta look good for college. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

--------------------
http://www.basseq.com

Posts: 404 | From: right behind you; in the shadows | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2003 20:27      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The more real computer stuff on your transcript the better (if your going into CS)... Personally, if I were in your shows I'd be crying to the advissors and counslors to allow you to Private study AP Comp-Sci, or take it at a local college. My friend did this, and started college as a Sophmore, and didn't need to take Programming I or II (as he took them at the Uni while still in highschool)... They'd have to count those as acedemics then, and you'd be earning college credits.

Failing that, still take the comp stuff over a creative writting, if you can test out of, or have credit for freshman English.

Goodluck.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2003 04:05      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting...
Here at our school as a freshmen this year there are NO CS courses of any value (well there's 'intro to computers'). Next year it's 'Basic Web design 1/2' Learn tables!
AHHHH!!!
Well, I'm taking Honors Chem, Honors AlgebraII, Honors Spanish, Honors History, English L1, and Cisco Academy (ends in ability to become CCNA)

SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2003 04:48      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dude you sure you want to take honors spanish?
it sounds real hard.. id rather take honors english and level 1 spanish (what im doing actually)

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2003 06:12            Edit/Delete Post 

IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2003 12:16      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take the programming course. Everyone gets Senioritis their last year in high school. You've got a tough enough load as it is. You may as well take at least one class you will really enjoy. (Then maybe you won't do the stupid stuff I did my last year of high school like flunking two classes.)

Good luck.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2003 12:32      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I were in your position, I would look at what you will be expected to take in you major and find what class you could take now that would benefit you most in preparing for it. If you are going into Computer Science, take the programming course, if you are an English major, take the creative writing course. If they have a course where you have to write papers, that might be even better. If their is one thing you will have to do repeatedly in your college career, it is write term papers.
Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2003 13:55      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My HS senior year course scehdule: Biotechnology, Painting and Drawing, Independent Science Research (lab rat from the get-go), Physics, Japanese I, Essay Fundamentals, and Chamber Orchestra first semester; replcae the art class with AP Stat and that was my second semester. Not sure what the colleges thought, but they all let me in. I gave the finger to the "honors/AP" machine at my school my junior year. The bureaucrats were disappointed with me until they saw what school I got into and the buttload of scholarship money that came with it. It also helped that the science department had my back.

Do you need that fifth academic to graduate? If not, stick with what you've got. Colleges prefer foreign languages, but if you make it obvious that computers is what you want to do, are going to do, and you apply to schools with an emphasis on tech, taking the programming course is a good idea.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2003 14:15      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
My HS senior year course scehdule: Biotechnology, Painting and Drawing, Independent Science Research (lab rat from the get-go), Physics, Japanese I, Essay Fundamentals, and Chamber Orchestra first semester; replcae the art class with AP Stat and that was my second semester.

bah how come more schools cant offer Japanese?

id much rather take that instead of Spanish/French

--------------------
its been a while

raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2003 14:16            Edit/Delete Post 

raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2003 14:23            Edit/Delete Post 

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2003 16:41      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Asian languages in HS are one of those wonderful features of growing up on the West Coast.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2003 17:06      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
but its not like i live in the midwest
i live about an hour and a half outside of new york(sans traffic) how come we dont get fun languages [Mad]

--------------------
its been a while

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2003 17:22      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One acronym: APEC.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2003 18:16      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, my HS offers Japanese I. Not II or III though... donno why.

This damn schedule thing is still annoying though. As I said, I'd much rather take programming (which actually is an honors credit...) over creative writing (which amounts to a slack course). However...

I was talking to the tech guy at our school and HE said that I probably already know more about basic programming than the teacher of Programming: The Class. He said I would be bored in that class because of all the stupid people who take the class only for the honors credit. So with that update, any more suggestions?

--------------------
http://www.basseq.com

Posts: 404 | From: right behind you; in the shadows | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2003 06:45            Edit/Delete Post 

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture