homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Office chair... whadda you recommend?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Office chair... whadda you recommend?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted February 05, 2003 10:32      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After a year and a half, my 5 dollar lawn-sale special is officially killing me and I need a new chair!

Drool... Aeron Chair...

-
http://www.hermanmiller.com/CDA/product/0,1469,c201-pss1-p8,00.html

What are you sitting in lately? [Wink]
Any recommendations?

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 10:52      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mmmmm, looks expensive though?
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 11:25      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is what I am sitting in right now. I find it comfortable.
Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 11:54      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, Herman Miller's are pretty expensive. You could just about buy a new Powerbook for what one costs. [Wink]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 12:34      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A really good chair is expensive, but worth every penny of it. When I started having back pain after work each day, I reasoned that I could buy a better chair, but I can't buy a new back. I've been using a Grahl chair for about 4 years now and it is wonderful. Mine is somehing like this one, with the split back. Instead of normal arms, I have elbow pads on articulated arms. Sadly, that option is discontinued.

My next chair will probably be the Aeron. But I have not totally worn out this one yet.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 13:40            Edit/Delete Post 
And they're made right here in Grand Rapids, MI. I have done lots of retouching for their catalogues. My co worker bought one with his own money for his workstation , very comfy I must say.

Jim

IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 18:08      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Retouching? Do they airbrush the spreads so they chairs have a little more padding? [Wink]
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 19:32            Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, no. Many times reflections need to be removed, lighting made even, colors matched to fabric, plastic and wood samples, drop shadows have to be created so the product needs to be outlined. And overall just making them look perfect. Many times they are prototypes so the flaws need to be removed. The toughest part is removing the morie caused by the mesh backs on the Aerons. I used to do this to autos when I lived in the Metro Detroit area.

quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
Retouching? Do they airbrush the spreads so they chairs have a little more padding? [Wink]

ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted February 05, 2003 20:05      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uuugh ... these catalogs are so disorienting !

I'm not accustomed to seeing products without Busty Young Models pressed against them !

Whew, I better get a beer and turn on the TV. [Razz]
(Although the ability to lean way back is a cool feature, I avoid doing it.... It seems bad for the back, and you spend less time looking at what's on your desk.)

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Chump
Geek
Member # 593

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2003 08:22      Profile for The Chump   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a while since we discussed this but...

-

Hint: NOV302000

--------------------
Vedi Vidi Velcro "I came, I saw, I stuck around"
quality in posting since dec 2000

Posts: 184 | From: In my chair, in front of my laptop, at my desk, in my kitchen, in my aprtment, o | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Titanium Warrior
Alpha Geek
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2003 15:40      Profile for Titanium Warrior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
After a year and a half, my 5 dollar lawn-sale special is officially killing me and I need a new chair!

Drool... Aeron Chair...

-
http://www.hermanmiller.com/CDA/product/0,1469,c201-pss1-p8,00.html

What are you sitting in lately? [Wink]
Any recommendations?

I'm sitting in one right now... field testing it. I recommend both the aeron and the leap chair by steelcase.

If I choose not to take this aeron chair.. it's available for a good deal. It belongs to a friend of mine whose is selling it. I thought I'd field test it to see if it gets rid of my numb shoulder.

My only critisim over it is that it makes my butt cold.

The leap chair (for about the same price new) I had for 2 years. I'm thinking of getting another one. They are awesome chairs, but keep in mind of the price.

I personally believe that it is worth the long term investment.

Regards
TiW

--------------------
I used to have super powers until my therapist took them away.

Posts: 333 | From: Victoria, BC Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eprime
Mini Geek
Member # 1981

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2003 09:12      Profile for Eprime         Edit/Delete Post 
its true that a good chair can suck the money down but if you are a reall geek you'l either find a way to get the money or solve the problem like if you work at a office you could stay late and steal a nice chair,all you have to do is bribe the janitor to help you or if your chair at your office is crap stay late and steal every bodies crap and make them buy it back from you.Or you could just go with a classic and black mail some body :-)

--------------------
ePRIME

Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2003 12:48      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eprime:
its true that a good chair can suck the money down but if you are a reall geek you'l either find a way to get the money or solve the problem like if you work at a office you could stay late and steal a nice chair,all you have to do is bribe the janitor to help you or if your chair at your office is crap stay late and steal every bodies crap and make them buy it back from you.Or you could just go with a classic and black mail some body :-)

Stealing, blackmail, and bribery are wrong.

However, it isn't stealing if the object remains in the building. Back in high school, when we were setting up our "Tech Department" in what amounted to a storage closet/fire escape route (don't ask), we found some nice comfy chairs in the guidance department. They had several. We took two. They never missed them, and probably never saw them again.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2003 15:35      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.humanscale.com/
pop sci likes them [Wink]
and
http://www.stokke.com/Products.asp?la=1&n=Peel
hey, get an imac for that much [Wink]

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2003 15:55      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can say not the one featured in the following picture
rednviek, my brother, and i all have had it fall apart on us

http://homepage.mac.com/ilovemydualg4/desk2/P1010010.JPG

raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2003 17:03            Edit/Delete Post 

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2003 03:00      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by raydreams:
I have to agree with Gator.
I bought a high-back leather office chair from Home Depot in 1992, and have since moved 5 times, and it still hardly shows any wear. and yes, I sit in it a LOT!

I think I paid around $200 for it, but a few years later, a friend of mine got the same for about $170.

I use to laugh at all the physicans at UTMB who got $1000 chairs and they sucked in comfort compared to my El Cheapo Office Depot special.

It's really comfy?
Maybe I'll stop off at home depot one day....

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture