homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » site building (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: site building
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted December 21, 2002 10:13      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever used Site Builder for website design, or is Front Page the only way to go?

(Yes, that's right, I'm trying to do a website-reading "Building Websites For Dummies" actually-a long way from the barely-a-geek that I was almost a year ago, thanks to all of you. If I fail, promise you won't laugh?) [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2002 10:40      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about Windows WYSIWYG editors but I found these on VersionTracker:
Enhanced HTML Editor

Bash HTML Editor

Cool Page

HotHTML 2001

The full listing is her e .

I'd probably stay away from FrontPage, the sites they make always look so cheesy. You can spot them a mile off.

Hope I helped. Good luck! [Smile]

Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2002 15:15      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As GMx mentioned, it's best to stay away from frontpage. I have it (was a birthday gift) and have found that it does better to manage current sites than create new ones.

Macromedia Dreamweaver is nice...about a $350 price tag though. I don't really have any info on inexpensive tools though.

-SM

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2002 16:00      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one's I mentioned were all shareware, so they should be relatively inexpensive. [Smile]
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 3 posted December 21, 2002 19:25      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
freeware:

http://www.web-o-tron.com/layoutomatik.html

just replace "whjsdfhlalagjdm sjasl sjalsireia3eha jsls ala l;ajrw alasfij" with your own text, and add your own pictures

instant website

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2002 21:21      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the site, GMx-go to demo.

http://www.websitedesignforidiots.com/

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted December 23, 2002 11:09      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Front Page also produces nonstandard pages that won't work in any web server other than Microsoft IIS. (Though I hear there are Apache modules that attempt to reverse engineer whatever "features" Front Page pages need so you can serve them from Apache....)

Personally I write my web pages in vi, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that for newbies. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 23, 2002 12:12      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They look pretty good. Go ahead and use it, then change when you learn more. [Smile]
SupportGoddess

Member # 822

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2002 14:34      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Snupy,

I have posted this link before. (Several times - don't yell at me, I really do think it's a great reference.) You can also get some nice software here. (Thanks, Swiss.) If you are working with a book that deals mostly with FrontPage, try building your site in that and then cleaning it up in a different editor. That will help you learn HTML a little better and help make your site a little more browser friendly. =) Good luck.

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Posts: 1150 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Member # 822

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2002 14:35      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Snaggy, please delete this. I just messed up and double posted.

--------------------

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2002 15:50      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, SG-I already finished Primer #1. Yay. I wasn't able to download anything from that site, though-kept saying page unavailable. Maybe I should try again later or click my refresh button. [Razz]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

G-3PO
Geek
Member # 1851

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2002 19:37      Profile for G-3PO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pha! Dreamweaver is the only way to go! Frontpage!? bah humbug!

--------------------
For large values of one, one equals two, for small values of two.

Posts: 187 | From: Augusta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Member # 822

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2002 21:48      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
Thanks, SG-I already finished Primer #1. Yay. I wasn't able to download anything from that site, though-kept saying page unavailable. Maybe I should try again later or click my refresh button. [Razz]

I got the same thing when I tried to download. It's not just you. =)

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 24, 2002 09:03            Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever used Site Builder for website design
I know someone who used to use that (and probably still would) and it seems to be a menace, well, to her anyhow.

As a few people know by now, I'm only for hand-coded HTML, nothing else. Basic HTML is not that hard and it's a geek's duty to learn and use it if they want a website (IMHO :) (Basic HTML also keeps you away from monstrosities like CSS 2, and stops you from making sites with pages with image URLs like "www.server.com/Desktop%20Folder/website/images/pic5.jpg" ;)

‹html›, ‹head›, ‹title›, ‹body› , ‹p›... they're your friends :)
(French quote marks used because UBB refuses to accept the HTML tags, despite it saying "HTML is not enabled." $*@!)

Of course, colour-coded editing is helpful (except X emacs where the hideous colours will give you a migraine) and I won't mind you cheating by having the editor insert the DTD for you (never bothered to try and learn the DTD).

(just please, whatever you do, make sure you specify image widths and heights somehow)

IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 24, 2002 10:19      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HTML 4 For The World Wide Web by Elizabeth Castro is a great book.Tells you everything you need to know in understandable language and has lots of pictures of the examples, so you know what they're supposed to look like.
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 24, 2002 11:05      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woo-hoo!! Primer 2. Um..html is similar to what I've been doing every time I use UBB here, no?Except with <> instead of []. Duh.

Anyone who's laughing right now, please remember I have a Political Science Degree, and I work in the medical field. Never took a computer class in my life. I've learned alot from spungo, these forums and all you talented geeks, I must say. Thank you! Also from my tech support guys, if anyone remembers my first post. [Big Grin]

I don't have to show you all my website when it's done, do I??? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 4 posted December 24, 2002 11:42            Edit/Delete Post 

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 24, 2002 13:53      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And a big pocketbook for DreamWeaver. [Eek!]
G-3PO
Geek
Member # 1851

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2002 16:03      Profile for G-3PO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
unless you are a file sharing pirate! Arrg! avast ye mateys!....... [Razz]
Posts: 187 | From: Augusta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2002 17:06            Edit/Delete Post 
HomeSite eh? Does that actually work properly in Windows 98 yet? I've used ColdFusion Studio (which was the same core system as HomeSite and is now merged with it) - not bad, has a few nasty bugs, but is OK. Though to newbies it might be a bit scary - not the simplest interface by far.

Isn't there a really simple colour-coded HTML editor out there - something less intimidating? Heck, I'd just recommend Windows Notepad (95/98 users take a copy of a friend's 2000/XP Notepad), except that it doesn't maintain your indentation level :)

Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2002 17:47      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is... Dreamweaver is NOT a beginner application. It is a tool to be used by professionals to simplify tasks. I have it and I should use it, but I've become addicted to coding by hand in SimpleText in OS9... TextEdit in OSX really bothers me (automaticly interprets HTML? It's called TextEdit, not Internet Explorer...).

--------------------
http://www.basseq.com

Posts: 404 | From: right behind you; in the shadows | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
QuiGonValjean
Geek
Member # 1485

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2002 18:27      Profile for QuiGonValjean   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, try finding a copy of Claris HomePage somewhere on eBay. That's what I use for everything, and I love it. (Can we all have a quick moment of silence for Claris?) Another idea would be to try finding an old copy of AOLPress on the internet somewhere. I know that it doesn't work on PPCs, but I don't know how well it works on new Windows systems... If you can't find it, I can email it to you (I have both the Mac and PC versions).

-QGV

Posts: 143 | From: the land of everlasting Dr. Pepper, Snickers, and Turkey Hill Iced Tea | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 3 posted December 25, 2002 19:22      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what, ya no like web-o-tron? [Embarrassed]

sigh, OK, i GUESS i can zip a copy of frontpage express if ya need it (it's freeware now, but good luck finding it on m$ site)

does a decent job, no stupid extensions, with color coding, etc

(

[squaaaaaaaaaaaaak!! skreech!]

shut up ye damn bird, or i'll make ya walk tha' plank!

)

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2002 20:32      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, my..I'm so confused now. [Frown]
raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2002 06:05            Edit/Delete Post 

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture