homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Odd food? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Odd food?
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 15:42      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, after finding (then losing- so no link, sorry) a topic with a brief flirtation around the idea of odd food, I was wondering what people had eaten that might be construed as "different". I am a confirmed carnivore and I believe that if it is made of meat, it should be eaten. As yet I have not had any insects, but I have eaten:
Snails
Eland
Kudu
Ostrich
Jelly (battered)
Mars bars (battered)
Pizza (battered)
Haggis (plain and battered)
Black pudding (see above)

Apologies to any Scots, who will realise of course, that anyone who thinks the last 4 items in the list are strange, are great Southern jessies.
On reflection, I haven't eaten that much strange food that I can recall, but I will eat pretty much anything. So others? Im sure Spungo must have a tale or two.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 16:06      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing that I know the name of.

But once when I was four or five I decided to make myself a banana sandwich. I figured that since a ham sandwich was made with mayonaise and a bologna sandwich was made with mayonaise, it was only logical that a banana sandwich would be made with...you guessed it...mayonaise.

It really didn't taste too bad. But it smelled really funny. I remember I ate about half of it and then stuck the other half under the next door neighbor's tire. I figured it would get run over and I wouldn't have to worry about it any more. Ahh, kids.

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
NefariousAnthony
Geek
Member # 1720

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 16:29      Profile for NefariousAnthony   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend that goes into Thai restaurants and asks for their food to be extra spicy. (For all of you who don't know, Thai food is made from pepper plucked of some bush in HELL!!!!)
Posts: 201 | From: The Deep South, y'all | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 16:57      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had some sort of cake thingy on a an airplane. It was green and it tasted a bit nutty.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 17:31      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You've got to be kidding me-you're asking spungo what strange things he's eaten?

Good Lord. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 11, 2002 17:43      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really do like peanut butter and pickle sandwiches.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted December 11, 2002 19:03      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plastic man [Smile] Where have you been?

((*angry - don't mind me, folks] oh, and excuse me for not making this post a bit more interesting... I could just babble on and on about ideas of where he's been,... but that would count as analyzing, now wouldn't it, Scott??))

--------------------
Mmmmrreow!

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 19:32      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
Nothing that I know the name of.

But once when I was four or five I decided to make myself a banana sandwich. I figured that since a ham sandwich was made with mayonaise and a bologna sandwich was made with mayonaise, it was only logical that a banana sandwich would be made with...you guessed it...mayonaise.

It really didn't taste too bad. But it smelled really funny. I remember I ate about half of it and then stuck the other half under the next door neighbor's tire. I figured it would get run over and I wouldn't have to worry about it any more. Ahh, kids.

PEANUT BUTTER of course!
try it tommorrow [Big Grin]

mayo and bananna [blush] ick :-&

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 20:40      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scrambled tofu is good. If you want to freak people out, eat a watermelon including the rind. It's not all that bad, and everyone looks at you like you're a FREAK. Awesome.

Plastic is good too. None of my pens are safe.

--------------------
http://www.basseq.com

Posts: 404 | From: right behind you; in the shadows | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 21:46      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by tafkact:
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
a banana sandwich would be made with...you guessed it...mayonaise.

PEANUT BUTTER of course!
try it tommorrow [Big Grin]

I have tried the peanut butter variety many times since then. Yum! Remember, I was four or five when this happened.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2002 08:52      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't gone too far the in the weird food department.

I have eaten squid. In high school, right after we had disected them in biology class.

--------------------
Please Visit http://www.wideweb.com/phonetrips/
And for Phun on the Phone:
http://www.Telephone-Entertainment.com/

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rw

Member # 590

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2002 09:04      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My occasional trips to Japan usually turn into culinary adventures. Especially memorable have been:

1. uni (sea urchin)
2. natto (a stringy, pungent mess made from over-fermented soy beans)
3. raw horse flesh (a delicacy in southern Japan, mostly imported from Lexington, Kentucky)
4. a live fish (I expect to be reincarnated in hell for that)

Back in the good ol' USA, the oddest thing I've eaten has probably been rattlesnake. We barbecued it in garlic butter, and it was quite tasty.

Oh, and yes, peanut butter and banana sandwiches are an old favorite of mine. Peanut butter goes well with celery, too.

Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 12, 2002 09:30      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the wierdest thing I can think of having eaten would be squirrel sauce piquante (which is actually quite good). Other things I have eaten not so wierd but still get some odd looks from some people not born and raised on the bayou are alligator tail, froglegs, turtle and raw oysters.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2002 10:08      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had alligator. It's sort of bland and tough. You are right about "odd" being regional. I've also had Elk, Water Buffulo, Moose and Venison, and Scrapple. My family thought I was nuts but each was perfectly normal in the places where I had them. Like littlefish, I'm known as someone who'll try anything.

joliet_jane: Did you eat the squids you dissected or go out and have a nice plate of fried calimari in an Italian restaurant? (A fish market near by sells lightly fried calimari with spicy tomato sauce as a lunch special - out of this world!)

littlefish: I've been wanting to try battd Mars Bars for years, but I guess I'll have to waieret until I get to Scotland. I used to think I could eat Haggis, but as I've learned more about it, I'm less sure.

The only odd thing I've had that I really would never have again was Tripe. Uggh!

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2002 11:33      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a new phenomenon that's been going around state fairs this year-batter fried Twinkies! Some guy in New York who owns a seafood restaraunt started it when he was bored and wanted to see what different things would taste like when battered and fried. I haven't tried them myself, but they sound delicious. [Smile] [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2002 11:45      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They also sound like you could get a whole day's worth of calories and a week's worth of fat from eating one.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2002 12:58      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
joliet_jane: Did you eat the squids you dissected or go out and have a nice plate of fried calimari in an Italian restaurant? (A fish market near by sells lightly fried calimari with spicy tomato sauce as a lunch special - out of this world!)

Yes, the ones were prodded with scalpels. Our teacher fried them up in the classroom with batter. She does this every year, and it stinks up the school when she does.

Based on that experience, I had calamari at a restaurant, but it wasn't as fun.

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 12, 2002 16:12      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twinkle Toes:
Plastic man [Smile] Where have you been?

Um... around? *shrug*. Preparing a bit for finals (over), playing Metroid Prime (fun), wandering around campus randomly (cause I'm loony), having TV withdrawals (canceled my cable, can't find my bunny ears), that sort of thing.

In other news, I have a friend who actually likes banana and mayo sandwiches. Go figure.

Food question: I ordered chinese tonight, and it came with a little packet of crispy things that remind me of Fritos, but not quite. I assume they have something to do with the soup, but I am not entirely sure of the relationship. Is it like with american soup, where it is customary to crush crackers into the soup?

I think I'll play the lotto numbers that came in the fortune cookie in addition to my usual set. The drawing on Saturday is 100 million USD. Anyone interested in a group lotto should paypal money to [email protected] [Big Grin]

Oh, and the fortune was "Happy Life Is Just In Front Of You". I was sitting in front of the TV at the time.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Forge
Maximum Newbie
Member # 1676

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2002 18:14      Profile for Forge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Er, not to gack anybody out or anything, but I eat banana and mayo sandwiches all the time. Picked it up from my father, who got it from... I forget who he got it from. But he also got me started on peanut-butter and mayo, which is weird-good, but good nonetheless.

He got *that* from a family that used to babysit him when he was little.

Posts: 16 | From: Boynton Beach, FL | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fixerbob
Alpha Geek
Member # 1587

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted December 12, 2002 18:59      Profile for Fixerbob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brown bread (wholemeal) ICE CREAM.

You could see the breadcrumbs in it. I gave it a thumbs down...

Posts: 301 | From: London, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kamran A
Mini Geek
Member # 1852

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2002 19:31      Profile for Kamran A   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would it count if my dad eats lamb brains (once in a while)? [Wink]

As you could have guessed, never touched the stuff...eewww, looks bad. Nasty.

--------------------
Kamran A
[ERROR: A random error has occured, this error occurs once in a while] ~ Win 95

Posts: 50 | From: 0.0.0.0 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2002 19:43      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seen on can of pig brains:

Cholesterol: 3500%

--------------------

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2002 05:49      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've sucked bum-truffles out of the chocolate starfish. [Smile]
Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted December 16, 2002 06:01      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
I've sucked bum-truffles out of the chocolate starfish. [Smile]

You are seriously one sick puppy! [Eek!] [Wink]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2002 06:22      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, I'm forced to wear my false teeth - nuts play havoc with my gums. [Razz]
Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture