homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » What type of Car? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What type of Car?
Taho_dude
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 00:34      Profile for Taho_dude   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What type of car would the typical geek drive?
Regardless, cars for geeks are just tools to get from one computer to another. But Excluding something that has a sterio more expensive than the car, and Consoles on a network for all the pasengers (hopefully not the driver). What would the archtype geek drive?
I'm thinking a generic brand truck, an old mini-van, or a golf cart.

--------------------
"Always remember to Pillage BEFORE you Burn"

Posts: 39 | From: a meatstick vender's cart | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 00:54      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have had a license for 15 years, but have never owned a car. but if i did own a car, i would own a crap car, with bits falling off. crap cars are great because they're easy to park with there in-built bang-yes-you-were-too-close sonic alert system. also i would take a perverse delight in owning the most disgusting car in the whole world.

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 03:09      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine's a Ford Fiasco.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 03:51      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Mine's a Ford Fiasco.

lol

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted November 06, 2002 03:57      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the old rustbucket suggestion, but make sure you have a very loud stereo to block out the noise of the parts falling off. [Wink]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 04:11      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and you want chrome bumpers, furry-dice dangling from the rear-view mirror, a chain-link steering wheel and 'Geezer and Bird' writ plasticly over the top bit of the windshield. Oh - and 'Shag-wagon' written on the side.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Minsc
Assimilated
Member # 1300

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 04:51      Profile for Minsc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My vote is for a reliable, yet ugly rustbucket (old Honda's and Toyota's are perfect). They run great and have the added advantage of allowing you to drive like hell because it's already a bloody mess.
Posts: 419 | From: at home or work | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 05:45      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honda Accords are nice. My 89 has about 137k miles on it and it still runs well.

Well, after replacing the cracked radiator. And the damage to the fuel line, but that was from being rear-ended. And the sunroof leaks, but that is also from being rear-ended and a bit of duct tape stops that. I also have to put in break fluid and power steering fluid a lot.

Perhaps one that is less than 14 years old, then.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 06:38      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I try to drive a car that is unlike everyone else's in my town. That means never an SUV or high end sedan. That doesn't mean it should be a rusted out POS. It's got to perform specially in some way. I like big engines and/or extreme handling. If I could afford it, I would have an old Jaguar XKE, but never an XJS. OTOH, I would also be happy with a gas-electric hybrid, if they made any which accelerated well enough to get on the Long Island Expressway safely.
Posts: 2905 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 12:43      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Smartcar!

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 13:26      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Alaska, the only choice is a truck or an SUV.

Given a choice among SUVs, I'd pick this one. [Big Grin]

-Oz

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 13:59      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
id take a souped up accord sport from 98(i think) or a mustang or Chevy Avalanche..
Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 14:08      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had an Accord. WOuld one day like a hybrid. Until then, I'll live with a POS mountainbike (disclaimer: I have NOTHING against bicycles in general, but this one I have here at school is a real POS. I'm thinking of getting a new one and just leaving this one sitting by the road with a "Free to a good home" sticker on it. There's a sucker born every minute, or so they say. [Smile] ).

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 15:37      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 2002 Ford E-250 cargo van, a 1969 Plymouth Barracuda, and a 1966 Chevy C-10 1/2Ton Pickup "Rolls Canardly" edition..........Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 16:52      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Yeah, and you want chrome bumpers, furry-dice dangling from the rear-view mirror, a chain-link steering wheel and 'Geezer and Bird' writ plasticly over the top bit of the windshield. Oh - and 'Shag-wagon' written on the side.

Funny, that's exactly how I pictured your car. [Razz]

I LOVE my Honda Accord('99)-best car I've ever had. My first car, on the other hand was an orange Mustang, dubbed the "Luv Pumkin"

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
graphicrevolution
Mini Geek
Member # 1748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 17:09      Profile for graphicrevolution   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, I used to have a chevette named dexter...THAT'S a geek car...
Posts: 61 | From: outside philadelphia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
invisikitty
Mini Geek
Member # 1764

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 17:15      Profile for invisikitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first car was an '85 Pontiac 6000 named Whale.
A big ol' Land Yacht. Possible to get airborne over a few certain bumps around town...I perfer my unassuming 99 Camry that I'm driving now.

--------------------
"All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...
we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively,
there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we
are the imagination of ourselves.....Here's Tom with the weather. "

Bill Hicks

Posts: 98 | From: ...under the couch.... | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hikaru
Alpha Geek
Member # 1142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2002 13:14      Profile for Hikaru   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, I dont know about typical, but I drive a canary yellow '76 AMC Pacer X
(the X had a larger engine and ectra package)
 -

--------------------
Sister Woman, she speaks for the collective, that and scolds me for my poor typing, dont let her smile fool you.

Posts: 317 | From: AppleDale, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 08, 2002 07:25      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure this one has been done before (and curiously, there were far more outlandish vehicles out there last time) but... Astra estate - and proud of it! [Big Grin]

I don't drive it to work though, as that would be environmentally evil (smiles beatifically)

quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Had an Accord. WOuld one day like a hybrid.

When my girlfriend was choosing her car, we turned up at the Honda garage to see a nearly new Insight hybrid - in metallic pea green! [Eek!] - sitting on the forecourt for about half the list price (which is heavily subsidised by Honda in the first place, apparently). The salesman told us he'd driven it across from another dealer and claimed it actually did shift pretty nicely when you put your foot down - though presumably it doesn't make the stated 80 mpg if you drive it like this [Razz] It was tempting to try it out 'cos it did look cool but in the end she opted for a car with more than two seats and without batteries that would have to be replaced at huge expense after about three years... [Frown]

I reckon you should hold out for hydrogen, or if you can't wait that long go for bio-diesel. [Cool]

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
invisikitty
Mini Geek
Member # 1764

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2002 08:26      Profile for invisikitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Had an Accord. WOuld one day like a hybrid.

My dad got one of the Toyota hybrids. It is a decent car. I wouldn't mind getting one. He likes to compare gas mileage with me. The hybrid gets somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 mpg. And it handles wonderfully. Good pickup, fun to embarass the "street racers" here in atlanta by beating them off the line... [Big Grin]
Posts: 98 | From: ...under the couch.... | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2002 10:57      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by nekomatic:

I reckon you should hold out for hydrogen, or if you can't wait that long go for bio-diesel. [Cool]

I might just do that, seeing as it'll be at least a couple more years before the insurance company forgives me for wrecking that Accord. How long until fuel cells hit the market? They've been saying it's just around the corner for five or six years now. And people complain biotech doesn't move fast enough. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2002 11:56      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Taho_dude:
What type of car would the typical geek drive?
Regardless, cars for geeks are just tools to get from one computer to another. But Excluding something that has a sterio more expensive than the car, and Consoles on a network for all the pasengers (hopefully not the driver). What would the archtype geek drive?
I'm thinking a generic brand truck, an old mini-van, or a golf cart.

Cheap and economical. If you're looking for a *new* car, I reccomend a hybrid, cheaper on gas [Wink] (though likely more expensive on insurance...)

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2002 11:57      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in the uk a generic geek would either use the bus, or a bicycle

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 10 posted November 09, 2002 19:05            Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, buses [Smile]
IP: Logged
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 15, 2002 09:28      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
96 Suzuki Samurai. Need 4WD out in the country (no broadband! Dammit!) and it's fairly economical.

Got one of the round Apple mice handing from the rear view mirror.....

Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture