homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » What's the weirdest Christmas present you've ever gotten?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's the weirdest Christmas present you've ever gotten?
Raptorgirl
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2001 09:19            Edit/Delete Post 
I got two of my strangest ones today. My best friend bought me some underwear. They're beautiful, but it freaks me out a little that he remembered my bra size.

However, the grand prize for weirdness goes to my boyfriend. He found these beautiful, uber-cool trio of swords on E-bay. They have stainless steel blades and dragons carved into the hilts. This is probably the first time I've ever gotten weaponry for Christmas. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with said swords, but they're very neat to have.

IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 4 posted December 25, 2001 21:34      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i got one for ya

how about a hard drive failure?

wanna read about it? (edit: well you can't! i forgot to redirect port 80 to the right pc! i'll have to do it when i get home..)

www.harddrivehell.com is were i keep my log

fsk - i gotta run the webserver on my frikkin laptop until i get this fixed

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
JainDough
Geek
Member # 950

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2001 07:37      Profile for JainDough     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
leather collar w/ O rings and metal buckle. i dunno, it isnt weird to me but i showed some other people and they said it was a pretty freaky gift. /shrugs shoulders i think it's ubercool.

i cant really think of anything i've recieved that i personally thought was weird, just stuff that causes other people to give me "looks" or avert their eyes.

i think the lawn gnome i keep on my dresser is a close second however.

------------------
hell is other people -Jean Paul Sartre

Posts: 148 | From: united states | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Geekatrix
Geek
Member # 826

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2001 10:41      Profile for Geekatrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This wasn't a Christmas gift, but it did keep me wondering for a couple of days...

About six months after I got married, I came home from work one day and found a small package from my mother-in-law with our mail. There were no birthdays or other gift-giving occasions within two months either direction, so I was already curious about what prompted it.

So I took it up to the apartment (I was the only one home) and opened it, to discover a book entitled "The Complete Manual of Sexual Positions" (Inscribed "May you have a happy, healthy sex life. Love, Mom") and a bottle of Strawberry 'n' Champagne flavored massage oil. No note, no card, no explanation.

Now, I keep some rather, ahem, interesting things in my bottom drawer, so these items weren't particularly shocking in and of themselves. But to receive them out of the blue and for no apparent reason from your new mother-in-law can be a bit...puzzling.

JainDough, my buckling leather collar only has one D-ring, but it's spiked! I bought it as a present for my Beloved, but it was a little tight on him and he thought it was much sexier on me. I dunno, maybe he would have liked it for himself more if the matching leash wasn't quite so short...

Posts: 154 | From: NYC | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2001 14:58      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Raptorgirl, you have to give your boyfriend a penny. It's an Italian custom, that you can't give someone a knife as a gift. They have to pay you for it. A penny in return suffices.

Oh, and guys will remember a girl's bra size far more easily than they can remember something seamingly easy, like their birthday. It's just what we have on our mindes most often.

I can't think of anything really weird I've received. This year was slightly unusual in that it was entirely Monty Python. I got the complete series on DVD, the complete Fawlty Towers, a little Corgi model of Basil Fawlty beating his car with a shrub, chocolate dead parrots, chocolate Mr. Gumby brains and a 12" Sir Lancelot the Brave figure.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Petethelate
Uber Geek
Member # 302

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted December 26, 2001 15:26      Profile for Petethelate   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This goes back many years, but my eldest brother once gave me a magnetic set of strip checkers. Said brother is a bit of a prevert...

Back in college, I traded gifts with my GF. I gave her a baggie of oregano/tea/parsley and a hash pipe. In revenge^H^H^H^Hturn, I got a box of chocolate covered critters (ants, babyb bees) and a tin of whale meat.

OTOH, I'm (more or less) on speaking terms with that brother. Lost track of that GF...

Ptl

Posts: 864 | From: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
JainDough
Geek
Member # 950

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2001 15:26      Profile for JainDough     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geekatrix,
My collar has three O rings, i have a pair of boots with D rings in the back though.

I've got another collar that has three rows of spikes (snaps instead of a buckle) but it's kinda uncomfortable compared to others i have.

------------------
hell is other people -Jean Paul Sartre

Posts: 148 | From: united states | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2001 17:48      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JainDough:
My collar has...

i've got two, a wide, black pvc one with a d-ring, and a silver-tinted leather one with spikes and a d-ring. i have a belt with o-rings attached around here somewhere, if i could only find it in the temporal-rip that i call my closet.

as for oddest gifts, the trophy would have to go to my cousin pete. he stole me a pair of brick-red bowling shoes. i love them, i'm wearing them right now. my mother thinks they're hideous.

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2001 19:56      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The weirdest gift I ever recieved was an antique, hand made weed hook. It's a fairly large, sharp and heavy hammered steel blade mounted on an full sized axe handle. The assembly weighs about twenty pounds and, if you swing it hard, can go chop through a two inch tree limb in one blow.
Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Raptorgirl
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2001 21:08            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:

I can't think of anything really weird I've received. This year was slightly unusual in that it was entirely Monty Python. I got the complete series on DVD, the complete Fawlty Towers, a little Corgi model of Basil Fawlty beating his car with a shrub, chocolate dead parrots, chocolate Mr. Gumby brains and a 12" Sir Lancelot the Brave figure.

Man, and I thought I had a great Christmas! The complete Monty Python and Fawlty Towers! ::sigh of bliss:: I got season 2 of Monty Python on DVD, which is good enough for me as it's my favorite season. I love "Upperclass Twit of the Year."

Akira
Geek
Member # 954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2001 21:08      Profile for Akira   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The prize actually goes to something I got this year from my grandmother: a set of 6 cocktail napkins that are supposedly replicas of a set owned by Napolean.

------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg.
Prepare to have your ass laminated.

Posts: 223 | From: LA LA land | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
theJacob
Geek
Member # 980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2001 19:25      Profile for theJacob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anything from my aunt.
When I was 9, she gave me complex mechanical assembly kits I have long sence failed to assemble correctly and lost.
When I'm 17, she sends me a Micky Mouse softball.

------------------
Intellegnce+Laziness=Efficency

Posts: 141 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2001 23:37      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a pink nightgown with a plaid flannel cat applique on it. That was pretty weird.

------------------
reality.sys corrupted. universe halted. reboot (y/n)?

Posts: 1150 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 6 posted December 28, 2001 15:15      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A slave for a night......Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Akira
Geek
Member # 954

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted January 01, 2002 14:26      Profile for Akira   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ZorroTheFox:
A slave for a night......Z

Unique I'll give you, but I'm not sure about weird...

*envious smile*

------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg.
Prepare to have your ass laminated.

Posts: 223 | From: LA LA land | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2002 18:16      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptorgirl:
I love "Upperclass Twit of the Year."

Raptorgirl, you have good taste. I've seen that sketch at least 50 times, and I nearly piss myself everytime I see it. The scary thing is that my daughter makes a face that is a dead-on Nigel "Incubator" Jones.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Oldguy geek
Alpha Geek
Member # 577

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2002 07:16      Profile for Oldguy geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I got two of my strangest ones today. My best friend bought me some underwear. They're beautiful, but it freaks me out a little that he remembered my bra size. .

Clearly, your "best friend" wants to be more than just a friend. And, guys remember bra sizes like they remember car engine sizes or computer memory sizes. It's a "guy thing." It's sort of like women seem to remeber every pair of shoes they've ever seen.

quote:
However, the grand prize for weirdness goes to my boyfriend. He found these beautiful, uber-cool trio of swords on E-bay. They have stainless steel blades and dragons carved into the hilts. This is probably the first time I've ever gotten weaponry for Christmas. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with said swords, but they're very neat to have.

Ah, a classic guy mistake. He got you a gift that he would like himself.

Posts: 310 | From: Blacksburg, Va., USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Geekatrix
Geek
Member # 826

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2002 16:12      Profile for Geekatrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by theJacob:
Anything from my aunt.

Sounds kind of like my aunt. She was really into knitting and crochet, so I ended up with a lot of sweaters made of varigated yarn. It was kind of a relief when I grew old enough that she stopped sending me presents.

The one winner from her was an orange tam hat with a pom-pom on top. It was so silly I loved it, but I took a lot of flak from the kids at school over it. Phooey on them.

Posts: 154 | From: NYC | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raptorgirl
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2002 19:34            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Oldguy geek:
Ah, a classic guy mistake. He got you a gift that he would like himself.

Nah, I think swords are cool. I remember telling him that when we were discussing various movie fight scenes. I just didn't expect to actually *own* one.

I think it's a very bad move to arm one's girlfriend, though.

Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2002 19:46      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A calculus book.
Posts: 904 | From: A Calculus book near you... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture