homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Wired at last!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wired at last!
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 15:14      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, at last I have net access at home on my own machine. Before, it was confined to my flatmates room. Ordered a router on Saturday, and bought the cables Sunday. Ran them all under the carpets Sunday and Tuesday. Got the router this morning, plugged in, configured and now I get bitchin fast cabe access 24/7/365. And as an extra bonus I managed to prove that before when I lost at quake 3 online it was due to lag.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
NefariousAnthony
Geek
Member # 1720

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 15:56      Profile for NefariousAnthony   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WHAT!?! CABLES?!? ARE YOU INSANE?!?
Posts: 201 | From: The Deep South, y'all | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
NefariousAnthony
Geek
Member # 1720

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 15:58      Profile for NefariousAnthony   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wireless, man, wireless . . . I believe that it is every persons right to be connected at T1 on a wireless network.
Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 20:37      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mmm... wireless. *drools*

I haven't had to plug in my iBook for 2 years now.

--------------------
http://www.basseq.com

Posts: 404 | From: right behind you; in the shadows | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 8 posted December 11, 2002 22:41      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wireless??? What are you 12??? Wireless is CRAP!
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted December 12, 2002 05:22      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Wireless??? What are you 12??? Wireless is CRAP!

Cap'n! You're much more aware than I thought. [Wink]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted December 12, 2002 09:10      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Captain has a point. I've been using wireless on the TiBook at the Alaska Film Archives (where I intern), and it's SPOTTY AS HELL! I lose half of the ims I send. The internet will spontaniously stop working. Give me a good old Cat-5 cable any day over 802.11b.

-Oz

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2002 09:45      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention the fact that people war driving can latch onto your bandwith and if you don't have proper security they can easily get acces to your files.
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2002 09:53      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An even nastier take on that is drive-by spamming. A spammer pulls up to an office park on Saturday night, connects to their unsecured wireless network from his notebook and sends a mass of spam from inside a real companiy's firewall. Out of the box thinking!
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
NefariousAnthony
Geek
Member # 1720

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2002 14:36      Profile for NefariousAnthony   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vic, I'll have you know I'm 17! I use wireless at my house to service computers too far away from each other and the router to where it would be the cheaper alternative to just do wireless than put cables in the walls!
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2002 16:21      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cables in the walls? Sure, I guess you could do that, but why not just run it along the walls or floor with duct tape? Or cable tracks, I suppose.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2002 11:18      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by NefariousAnthony:
Vic, I'll have you know I'm 17! I use wireless at my house to service computers too far away from each other and the router to where it would be the cheaper alternative to just do wireless than put cables in the walls!

Well, boy, I will have YOU know that I have been working in the 'industry' since before you were a twinkle in your daddies eye.

Wireless, is and will always be inferior as far a s a networking medium....if speed is what you crave, fibre is the way to go. Plus fibre is the most secure, though I did read an article about some propellor heads in the US who did manage to 'tap' fibre with out actually splicing into it

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
NefariousAnthony
Geek
Member # 1720

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2002 20:44      Profile for NefariousAnthony   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A quick message to Lex:
My parents would not quite enjoy about 500 feet of cables in safety orange on their shiney hardwood floors.

A quick message to Vic:
I get an 11 megabyte per second transfer rate on my ethernet connection. Wheres the downside in that? Maybe it doesn't work on the level you need it, but it suits our needs.

GeekAvenger
Assimilated
Member # 1895

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted December 22, 2002 16:36      Profile for GeekAvenger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you all stop talking about cable because of 2 things-my computers only got a 56k and it is feeling insecure and depressed.
- i'm drowning in my own drool. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Geekier Than Thou. I think academically so therefore I'm a geek?

Ah the wonders of the crowd.

Posts: 485 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2002 16:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do some management of a wireless network at work, and will freely state that it stinks. It's usable, if you're in the right area, and can be handy at times, but that's it. 11Mbits is nothing to be overjoyed about. At home, I will have nothing less than 100Mbits going into my laptop, and I ran Cat5 to my room (and put in jacks, not just bare cable) to achieve that. I realize that 11Mbits is greater than the incoming Internet speed, but it's still too slow for internal networks, as far as I'm concerned. My father has used wireless on his laptop, and when he prints to the print server, it takes forever for the jobs to go through. VNC is also dreadful over 802.11b. Wireless just isn't there yet.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2002 18:35      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darn, UBB told me that my post failed, so I went back, cleaned up my cookies a bit, and resubmitted - not expecting my first post to have failed.

Yep, this here's a dupe.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2002 18:56      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my parents would object to bare cables all over, as well.... that's why I crawled into the crawl space, walked across the basement, and dangled hangers thru the walls. I now have 15 cat5e cables running into my basement, where I have a switch, I also have a cable modem there, and a router for it. In most of the rooms I then have a nice little in wall box with a cat5 jack on it for computers. Very sweet. Made it even sweeter last year, got a demo airport for 150, (rev a), hung it on a wall, and have a nice little cat5e cable snaking down into the bottom of it, out of the wall (coloured the same color as the wall). Laptops there fore also have demo cards, all got from local dealers. Of course, if i need to get the better lan services, I will botther to plug my ibook in to a cat5 somewhere, but I try to confine all of that kind of work to my 4 year old g4

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture