homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » One time i... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: One time i...
Dr Cyclops
Assimilated
Member # 986

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted November 17, 2001 16:13      Profile for Dr Cyclops   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HAD TO USE A DELL!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Posts: 499 | From: Upon the slab, Unbroken. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
LostInColorado

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 862

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2001 18:48      Profile for LostInColorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Cyclops:
HAD TO USE A DELL!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Dear Dr Cyclop,

As a satisfied owner of a Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop, I am dismayed for your lack of respect for what is a wonderful, well architected machine.

As a Sun employee, I do consider Dell servers to be a solid threat to our low end and workgroup servers. And it doesn't matter what OS they run, would the OS be Linux, Windows XP Server, Solaris x86 or good ol' OS/2.

Cyclops, your extremist anti-windows attitude is not going to score you points on these forums. Many people here do share a dislike of that operating system, but most have the common sense to know that Microsoft does own the desktop market. Bluntly attacking this monopoly doesn't work...

Also, my Linux running Dell Inspiron 5000 is very sad that you may have had a poor experience with one of its cousins. Personally, that Dell has served me very well over the last couple years. So has a server that ran 6 months without requiring my attention.It was a sad day when I had to package it to ship it back to the vendor that lent it to my then employer.

So, dear Dr. Cyclops, here is my challenge to you: Tell us what OS you are using, why you are using it and what are your arguments against Intel and Windows.Oh, and loose the attitude or it will give you real trouble surviving high school and finding work in the future.

------------------
LostInColorado

At first, follow the rules of the game.
If you don't succeed, break the rules.
If you still don't succeed, change them.
If you still don't succeed, just change the game.

Posts: 117 | From: Thornton, CO, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angry Rooster
Assimilated
Member # 759

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted November 17, 2001 18:55      Profile for Angry Rooster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly...

Have you nothing better to do all day?

One statement, then I'll take my moral ground.

Dell is an excellent company. If you want to badmouth a computer company, feel free to take it out on a company that actually deserves it. Some prime examples would be Packard Bell and E-machine. Oh wait, they aren't around anymore because there are *good* companies like Dell showing people what they should expect from their computer company.

And now, I dub thee Sir Troll. From this day forth, no matter your topic, I shall avoid it.

------------------
--Angry Rooster
"Eagles may soar, but roosters don't get sucked into jet engines."

Posts: 376 | From: Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
MeckaMon
Uber Geek
Member # 356

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2001 18:57      Profile for MeckaMon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Want to know an even scarier story?

One time...

I had to listen to a 14-year old script kiddie complain about things with absolutely nothing to back them up!! Gasp, the horror! The absolute terror of it all!

You have angered the gods, and now I return like the pheonix to smite thee down.

Also, you're not a very good troll. Try harder next time, userboy.

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2001 19:19      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way off topic, but welcome back Mecka!
Phoenix returned in the form of mephisto to smite him down on a previous thread.

Wouldn't it be scary if he turns out to be older than we think he is?

------------------
Take by surprise and the world gives up resistance.
- Tennesee Williams

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2001 19:51      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AHHH! poor you! I have alos had to use dells! I am a MAC lover! Van you spell mac? M-A-C! See ya!
Posts: 904 | From: A Calculus book near you... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
theJacob
Geek
Member # 980

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted November 18, 2001 20:10      Profile for theJacob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The darkest day in computer history when apple lost the education market to dell.
Inferior computers, moving at speeds slower than ever, invaded classrooms all over the nation.
In my freshman earth science/technology class, one-sixth of my first-semester grade was based on your ability to use microsoft applications. I bit the bullet, got an A, and washed my hands afterwards.
Curse Dell computers...mass produced at levels matched only by the Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich, the model T, and the TIE fighter. And ran by a Texan who hands them out like candy (come over to my house, my daddy will give you a computer)
Bah!

------------------
<Signature placeholder>

Posts: 141 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2001 23:12            Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, Apple has regained the education market.

BTW, e-machines are still around www.e4me.com

IP: Logged
bull3t
Assimilated
Member # 852

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2001 03:56      Profile for bull3t     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HEY HEY! Its me, bull3t, hater of lamers and fucking trolls!

WOW! This post has some BRAINS behind it. Wanna talk about crappy computers? I'm using a Gateway right now! Isn't that hilarious?! Wow!

I'm SO amazed by dr cyclop's incredible |_33†|\|3zz.. he must be so geeky that even LOOKING at a computer that wasn't assembled to his geeky standards makes in him cringe in terror!

get a life, moron.

------------------
[email protected]

Posts: 435 | From: Ogden, UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2001 07:46      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Calm down bull3t, and deal with the way we deal with all trolls on these boards, we ignore them and do not reply.

That is the whole idea behind trolling, set off a series of flames wars and then retire to watch the fun.

If no-one takes the bait, the troll has failed.

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dr Cyclops
Assimilated
Member # 986

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted November 20, 2001 14:48      Profile for Dr Cyclops   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CURSES- FOILED AGAIN!
Posts: 499 | From: Upon the slab, Unbroken. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2001 01:54      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Way off topic, but welcome back Mecka!
Phoenix returned in the form of mephisto to smite him down on a previous thread.

Wouldn't it be scary if he turns out to be older than we think he is?

Not as scary as it would be sad: the thought of him living in his parents' basement, trying to support his internet access with the proceeds from his paper rout; just him and his Mac desperately seeking attention but knowing no other way to do this than to toss verbal hand-grenades and watching the damage reminds me of Chris Elliot's series, "Get a Life," but without the humor.

Sadder still, is the thought that this person might have some valuable insight, but past behaviour will train those around him to ignore even that.

I think that, instead of berating Dr. Cyclops, we should encourage positive contributions from him. Given time, perhaps he'll grow out of this behaviour.

Please, Dr. C., if you do have something constructive to say, please say it.

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
EngrBohn
Uber Geek
Member # 476

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2001 04:05      Profile for EngrBohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
- LifetimeTrekker -
Sadder still, is the thought that this person might have some valuable insight, but past behaviour will train those around him to ignore even that.

I think that, instead of berating Dr. Cyclops, we should encourage positive contributions from him. Given time, perhaps he'll grow out of this behaviour.

I agree. It's certainly possible for Dr Cyclops to tone down this behavior and become a member of this board people are willing to listen to. In fact, someone who's posted in this thread, I recall, showed up on the scene in his larval days and ruffled quite a few feathers but now seems to be a bit more accepted. Granted, his opening salvo was considerably less caustic, but methinks that if Dr Cyclops tones it down a bit (1), supports his opinions with relevant evidence (2), and learns to use the "edit" button instead of the "post reply" button to elaborate on a post he just made, he'll find other board members more accepting of him and, while they still may not agree with him, they'll certainly be less likely to issue replies that make Dr Cyclops feel unwelcome.

(1) Don't squash the opinions, just speak softly.
(2) e.g.: "Microsoft stole the WIMP concept from Apple, who legally acquired it from Xerox" is not relevant evidence to support "Windows sucks", but it is relevant to a discussion on Microsoft's business practices. A discussion of Windows apps' ability to compromise the OS' memory management would be relevant to the merits of Windows.

------------------
cb
Oooh! What does this button do!?

Posts: 987 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
redneckgeek
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2001 16:32            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by EngrBohn:

(2) e.g.: "Microsoft stole the WIMP concept from Apple, who legally acquired it from Xerox" is not relevant evidence to support "Windows sucks", but it is relevant to a discussion on Microsoft's business practices. [/B]

OK how about how accidently disconnecting my USB modem and then plugging it back in caused Windows 2K to say it had just found an new device and had to reboot after which it rebooted again and again and again and again, When I came back ten hours later it was still doing it. Since I run the thing headless and it is shoved under a table behind a UPS and a G4 it was a real pain. I don't even used the dang thing for anything other than routing so there aint a lot of crud on it. Windows does suck (actually all OSs suck but Windows seems to make me feel that way more than most).

Dr Cyclops
Assimilated
Member # 986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2001 20:16      Profile for Dr Cyclops   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well now i'm just stating my opinion. but i can't even do that witout some pissed off winblows 2000 user cramming it down my throat that my opinion is wrong. as for somthing constructive to say: tambuck-nuretta/nimno! by the way, what the hell is a troll?
EngrBohn
Uber Geek
Member # 476

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2001 06:19      Profile for EngrBohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
- Dr Cyclops -
what the hell is a troll?

http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/troll.html

------------------
cb
Oooh! What does this button do!?

Posts: 987 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2001 08:39      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Cyclops:
well now i'm just stating my opinion. but i can't even do that witout some pissed off winblows 2000 user cramming it down my throat that my opinion is wrong.

You have to remember to mention Macs when bashing Windows, or else people will mistake you for a common Linux zealot. Can't have that, can we?

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2001 20:01      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh...I love macs
Posts: 904 | From: A Calculus book near you... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dahak
Mini Geek
Member # 957

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2001 14:25      Profile for Dahak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love my PowerBook with Airport. Being able to surf without any wires on a cold Saturday morning while wrapped underneath the covers is heavenly.
Posts: 53 | From: Royersford, PA, United States | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2001 21:16      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dahak:
I love my PowerBook with Airport. Being able to surf without any wires on a cold Saturday morning while wrapped underneath the covers is heavenly.

Wow! You don't have to use the electric blanket with that; the heat from the machine will keep you warm!

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
danno
Maximum Newbie
Member # 1025

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted December 14, 2001 15:49      Profile for danno     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lifetime Trekker:

It's funny 'cause it's true. They're great machines, I own an iBook, and I like it, but it does get hot.

I too like airport. The other end is a linux PC with a linksys card acting as a bridge. Works very well.

Posts: 14 | From: Home of the RCMP | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Blutrane
Geek Apprentice
Member # 992

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2002 16:21      Profile for Blutrane   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by bull3t:
HEY HEY! Its me, bull3t, hater of lamers and fucking trolls!

WOW! This post has some BRAINS behind it. Wanna talk about crappy computers? I'm using a Gateway right now! Isn't that hilarious?! Wow!

I'm SO amazed by dr cyclop's incredible |_33†|\|3zz.. he must be so geeky that even LOOKING at a computer that wasn't assembled to his geeky standards makes in him cringe in terror!

get a life, moron.

how about i kill you and then your F------ EYES LIKE CANDY!!!!

Posts: 43 | From: Rio Rancho, New Mexico, U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
theJacob
Geek
Member # 980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2002 19:45      Profile for theJacob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just when you think a thread has been closed...

Bad day, Blutrane? I think it's a little upstrung to respond like that to an unusually heavy act of sarcassm a couple of months old.

------------------
Intellegnce+Laziness=Efficency

Posts: 141 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Blu knows who
Discontinued

Icon 13 posted January 02, 2002 20:39            Edit/Delete Post 
Blutrane-

Its one thing to get angry at me for calling certain persons trolls. Its a whole other dtory insulting people for saying the same thing months ago. Especially on a whole other board

sorry folks for the private drama that needs to be kept off public boards (importantly off boards where said drama didnt even originate)

Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2002 19:14      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allright, enough. Dr. Cyclops was just trying to be funny! I mean, wasn't it suprising when you first opened the thread? He DOES deserve respect for that you know...

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture