homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Class Trip!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Class Trip!
Punk Rawk Poet
Assimilated
Member # 2174

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2003 16:24      Profile for Punk Rawk Poet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Latin class and My school's Art club are taking a trip to Italy this summer. 9 days, Rome, and lots of art and history. I'm Excited out of my pants ( well, rather not quite all the way out... but close). Anyway, the big catch is that it's going to caost me about 2 grand. I have no job. Any ideas? I thought about having a fundraising dinner, but then I would have to share profits with all involved persons. Some one must have an idea. And also, any tips for a first time Europe traveler?

--------------------
The cat came back...
~A song from my primary school days

Posts: 447 | From: Boringville , USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted November 06, 2003 16:58      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fundraising...bake sales sometimes work, depending on the amount of snackables consumed by your school populus.

As for Europe: as coffee_geek may advise you (he went on a similar trip), alcohol is generally legal in Europe. While this allows for a nice glass of wine during a meal, coffee did see a fellow student get so tanked, that he was yelling insults at the ocean.

Said student was apparently quite entertaining to torture the next day...so bewarned. [Wink]

-Oz

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 06, 2003 17:15      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My advice is get a job. When I wanted to go to Europe after my senior year I worked at Taco Bell (aka Taco Hell) for 6 months to save up the money for the trip. (It cost $2600) You've still got time. Let people know that you're going. I had lots of generous relatives give me money as a graduation present when they heard. It's a good thing too or I wouldn't have been able to pay for lunch. Never refuse a baby-sitting job or an offer to cut someone's lawn for money. $5-$10 isn't a lot, but it adds up.

And most importantly, get a savings account. Not for the interest (here in CA it's a shit 0.25% APR anyway) but so you can't touch the money you make. It's okay to take 10-20% out of the checks you get from work to spend, you've earned it, but most of it goes in the bank otherwise you'll never get enough. And once it's in the bank don't take it out. This is why it's called a savings account. </lecture>

Oh yeah, bring lots of film (or plenty of memory cards and batteries) and if you can buy lots of souvenirs. And don't forget to have fun! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2003 18:07      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get your passport together asap, mind your train tickets, pack light, and maintain a sense of humor. This last is key.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2003 18:25      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Get your passport together asap, mind your train tickets, pack light, and maintain a sense of humor. This last is key.

The penultimate point there is also quite important...listen to the wise words of a wandering lab rat.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2003 18:50      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, and bring an empty suitcase or backpack with you. Trust me, it will be full when you leave. [Razz]
Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2003 19:05      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought customs had problems with people returning with the bodies...:-/.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 06, 2003 20:12      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome opportunity!

Be careful about film. Buy it there, develop it there. I had 10 -15 rolls ruined by customs. I am super pissed about that!

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Coffee_geek
Assimilated
Member # 1608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2003 14:36      Profile for Coffee_geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you have a WORKING camera (it's not something you want to learn only after you get back). Also, don't lose your passport. Or forget your pocket translator and half your cash at the Vatican. Please, learn from my mistakes. SOMEONE ought to.

Anyway, Oz is right about the booze. A bit of wine with dinner is nice. A bottle of champagne with breakfast is also nice. And hard lemonade, nice all the time.

Eh, I forgot where I was going with that. Probably some dire warning. Just pretend I made one.

Seeming and Dreaming,
Coffee

--------------------
We got, ten minutes to get there
We got, ten minutes to go
Throw this one in for the money
Cause the next one's for the next show

Posts: 464 | From: Varies | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2003 15:40      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

The penultimate point there is also quite important...listen to the wise words of a wandering lab rat.
Hmm, yes, learned the hard way, didn't we dear? Well, I only warned you...six times. [Wink] [evil] [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Punk Rawk Poet
Assimilated
Member # 2174

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2003 16:01      Profile for Punk Rawk Poet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great hints, especially on the film. I would be entirely very perturbed if customs screwed my film. I'll probably do most of me photography digitally and only use 35mm for the artsy type stuff I do so very little of.

As far as alcohol goes, it is apparently the policy of both my school and the tour company that we not drink. (ie. Don't get caught drinking or you'll lose a good many of the brown nose points you worked oh so hard to earn). I was a little bummed about that, but putting it in perspective, I don't drink all that much anyway, and nobody ever said I can't bring home a few "souveniors".

I'm working on the whole getting a job thing, but it's not going overly well. I've got a few applications in so I'll see what happens. There is an official fund raising commitee, and I'm thinking of having a benifit dinner, or smaller private catered dinners to raise money. Italian dinners oddly enough (real Italian food, not the amerikanized junk that passes for Italian around here). I'm actually looking forward to cooking said dinners almost as much as the trip itself, yes, I am a freak. And the best part is, I got to a private school full of dumb snobby rich folk...

--------------------
The cat came back...
~A song from my primary school days

Posts: 447 | From: Boringville , USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture