homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » do you think you are attractive? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: do you think you are attractive?
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 09:10            Edit/Delete Post 
Quoting GMx:
I am attractive to lint and pet hair.

I have always considered myself highly attractive to software bugs - this is nevertheless a good thing as I can report them. And it keeps the bugs from others :)

As to the real question - what I personally think is not overly relevant - it matters more what the opposite sex thinks. I am not out to seduce myself, after all.

IP: Logged
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 09:47      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:
I think I stopped worrying about appearance as the primary indicator of worth somewhere around junior high school.

this is actually what I did (similar to you I had the grades, the As etc) although I guess I didn't feel those defined who I was either. All I really remember about high school is that is sucked and I wanted out fast- college was better simply because I went to a large school (35,000) and it was much easier to find fellow nerds to be with.

sorry off subject.

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
klemputer
Geek Larva
Member # 2076

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 07, 2003 09:48      Profile for klemputer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
addiew you are beautiful

Now let's talk about me

ugly today and probably will be until september.

when i lose weight i can have very attractive days but generally a hideous monster

but you addiew are quite attractive [Roll Eyes] [Wink]

--------------------
"Olive loaf in a world full of baloney"
klem

Posts: 25 | From: greenpoint brooklyn u.s.a. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
schnurren
Geek
Member # 1571

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 10:48      Profile for schnurren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmm. in high school i was fed up with the importance of attractivness. I stopped watching tv around that time, and i don't ever read glitzy magazines.
Since then i feel like i don't put much importance on being attractive. If i had to say yes or no, i'ld say, i'm average, but a little interesting looking. I have a wierd shape and a wierd shaped face.
the people i'm attracted to (that i stay attracted to for long periods of time) tend to look very odd, or at least differ greatly from the norm.

Posts: 184 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shapeshifter
Geek
Member # 2105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 10:49      Profile for Shapeshifter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*shrug* This is kind of pathetic, but my sense of self-worth (when it comes to physical appearance, at least) is based on the women in my life. I never thought of myself as above average until a few months ago, when I realized that I had one girl and one guy after me, two female friends of mine that had mentioned to me or a mutual friend that they would go out with me if they didn't already have a boyfriend, and I'm currently dating a very attractive young woman. I've always been a poor judge of masculine beauty, and when presented with this evidence I merely shruged and assumed that I must be better looking than I had previously though.

--------------------
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not dying.
-Woody Allen

Posts: 152 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 11:57      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
of course, some people are happy believing (wrongly) that they are ugly,because they are never disappointed, or because they like self-pity

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
BellaDonna
Geek
Member # 2123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 12:29      Profile for BellaDonna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think I am, but its really relative. I mean if I were to be compared to society's "attractive" scale of 1 to 10, I'd probably be placed as a 3 or 4. It doesn't mean I'm ugly, it just means that how can an average person live up to society's standards?

And like everybody I have my days of feeling fat, or something is just off (outfit wise), and it can make me feel less attractive.

As for the high school thing, I never really had that attractive pressure, but I went to a Catholic school and we all had to wear the same thing.

Hmmm reading this I see a pattern. I see clothes as being attractive. I guess its the whole ZZ Top thing. "Every girl's crazy for a sharp dressed man."

--------------------
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein

addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 12:53      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
belladona- i couldnt agree more with you- no one can live up to todays 'standards' and I do have some thing for guys in nice suits esp (no idea why either)

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 13:07      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are days when I think I look better than I do on others, but in general I don't think I'm a walking gross out. I can be taken out in public and not embarrass the people I'm with. Sometimes I even think I look pretty nice.

But do I think I'm attractive? Deep down inside, probably not. Call it conditioning. Growing up, I was the "smart one" and my fraternal twin was the "pretty one" (somehow I shared a womb with Chynna Phillips' doppleganger). My ex never once complimented my appearance in a respectful way. I was quite taken by surprise the first time a guy said I was pretty, and it still surprises me. <shrug>

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted August 07, 2003 14:02      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about the rest of my I have a seriously nice ass. I get complements all the time (not kidding!). Maybe its all of the running and biking I do that keeps that one area of my anatomy in such decent shape. Or maybe because I'm hispanic.
Thats attractive right?

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 16:22      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'm so awful looking that people have a hard time maintaining eye contact, but there again, I definitely do not think I am attractive/pretty at all. I don't think I'm average either, though, because I'm not sure how I'd define that, so I guess I'd just say I think I'm... hmmm... just about bearable. I know that there's certainly a lot I would want to change about my appearance, but what's inside my head has always been more important to me anyway, so I never get round to doing anything about the exterior [ohwell]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 16:30      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MTB Babe:
I don't know about the rest of my I have a seriously nice ass. I get complements all the time (not kidding!). Maybe its all of the running and biking I do that keeps that one area of my anatomy in such decent shape. Or maybe because I'm hispanic.
Thats attractive right?

OK.....now you have done it. You will have to post a pic of said bottom! I love a nice firm round bum on a gal.
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 16:31      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW Skylar......I think you are very cute.

*Pssst: What is under the robe?*

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted August 07, 2003 16:49      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Cap'n [Smile] ... but no amount of compliments will get me to reveal what's under the robe [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Private i
Mini Geek
Member # 2328

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 17:59      Profile for Private i     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been described as charismatic, but never atractive. The way I look at it, looking decent is a good thing but looking extrodinary will just get you attension from the wrong sort of people.
Posts: 65 | From: Ipswich MA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
CyberGoddess
Highlie
Member # 147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 18:42      Profile for CyberGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm attractive. It's taken me years to be able to believe that.

--------------------
CyberGoddess
La Goddess of Go-Go :)
http://www.kageneko.net
After Y2K Fan Club Member #15

"Chaos. Panic. Disorder. My work here is done."

Posts: 621 | From: Larkspur, CA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 18:56      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are days when I'll feel fat, but as long as I'm not wearing the jeans from high school which are a size or two too small for me, I generally feel attractive. I didn't a few years ago, but I'm not really sure what changed.

Of course, I only feel attractive when I look at myself in the mirror, not when I look at myself in pictures, so maybe that means something. [Razz]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 19:13      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'bout average here, except for the hair. And the eyes. [Smile]
I'd feel more attractive if I wasn't sun-burned and it wasn't so hot I couldn't cover my beautifully mangled elbow.

**dragonman97 grabs the kbd for a second and declares Xanthine to be a lovely and attractive lab rat [hearts] .

And there we have my boyfriend's opinion. [Big Grin]

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 19:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, attractiveness, eh? I don't quite know how I'd rate myself, but I'd say there are shabbier looking geeks then myself out there that I've seen.

A friend of mine who's presently in Tokyo comes to mind - we're dearly hoping he learns a thing or two about personal hygiene while there. A tip: don't wear the same shirt & pants *every day* for quite some time. Bathing is also a good idea. I also maintain my beard, keeping it clean, and relatively tidy. I made some comment to him about beards, length, trimming, and related stuff, and his comment about his was that "Oh, I just shave every so often." i.e. It was not a deliberate touch, just sheer laziness. Beards are great for procrastinators (*raises hand* [but in his own dear sweet time]), as you can trim it when you have time, not every morning. With that said, I need to go clean my neck up a little after I post this.

Okay, that was a curious tangent that I don't seem to be able to return to coherency from...

Posts: 9335 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TonyRad
Assimilated
Member # 1448

Icon 2 posted August 07, 2003 21:08      Profile for TonyRad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... I can't believe you people. I looked at that photo album several times and .... I think all of you are very respectable looking and attractive (Speaking hetersexually of course). I used to be very negative about my looks but I gave up on trying to live up to "society's" standards because in reality we are society. So if we say we aren't attractive then we are fullfilling society's standards but if we say we are we are fullfilling society's standards. So either way society has us, what we think is more important. Oh, if I forgot to mention.. I think all of you are very attractive.

I work at walmart... and really the average "ugly people" and "good looking people" is about even. There are several people who look like they've fallen from the ugly tree, hit every branch on the way down, and went back up. On the other hand, there are some people who look like supermodels. Oh yeah.. I think all of you are very attractive.

Tony Rad

BTW- Shawn Eston (SP?) shops at the Walmart I work at.. [Smile] I haven't gotten to see him yet tho.. [Frown] but he has signed a few things...

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2003 06:03      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:
My ex never once complimented my appearance in a respectful way.

That's awful! No wonder he's an "ex".
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2003 06:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by addiew:
well, honestly---

average, just average 80% of the time 20% of the time I am below average-
I could be attractive if I really tried, lost some weight, ..... etc but I am ok with being ugly. [Cool]

Please, please, please tell me you're not serious about losing weight.

'ugly' - hey, you're a honey
(I'll deny under oath saying that if anyone tells my wife)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10685 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2003 06:50      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I would say I'm average looking but sexy, because that involves alot more than looks alone.
Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2003 06:51      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
'bout average here, except for the hair. And the eyes. [Smile]
I'd feel more attractive if I wasn't sun-burned and it wasn't so hot I couldn't cover my beautifully mangled elbow.

**dragonman97 grabs the kbd for a second and declares Xanthine to be a lovely and attractive lab rat [hearts] .

And there we have my boyfriend's opinion. [Big Grin]

Aww....you guys are there together...how cool!
Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2003 10:58      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the dragon is taking a vacation. He seems to like Seattle. It is, after all, home to the center of the universe .

That street corner loks a bit different now BTW. It's an old pic.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture