homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Sore Eyes (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sore Eyes
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted August 06, 2003 11:33      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any way to prevent your eyes from hurting when staring at a monitor all day? Its becoming hard for me to focus on the rode on my drive home from work because my eyes are so tired.

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 5 posted August 06, 2003 12:42            Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't because you need glasses is it?
IP: Logged
Sinn
Mini Geek
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2003 13:56      Profile for Sinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found a number of ways to reduce eyestrain from computer monitors. The easiest and best way is to increase the refresh rate on your monitor to at least 75hz. Other methods include tilting your monitor back, and getting anti-glare coating on your glasses (if you wear glasses)
Posts: 64 | From: Kerhonkson, NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 06, 2003 14:06      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody call me?? [Wink]

Ok, next time you're at the store, buy some "artificial tears". They are over the counter by the nasal sprays and eye drops. I like Refresh, Genteal, or Bion. Don't skimp if you can avoid it because cheaper brands may have harsh preservatives. Use evry half hour or so when you're on the computer. Take breaks, and try to remember to blink normally instead of staring without blinking. This dries out your cornea and causes the soreness AND blurriness.

Do NOT, under any circumstances, buy Visine or any drops that promise to "get the red out". You want lubrication. **ahem**

If you're only blurred after working on the 'puter all day, it's dryness(esp if you blink and it clears up). If it's all the time, then you need glasses.

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Private i
Mini Geek
Member # 2328

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2003 14:41      Profile for Private i     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's an expensive solution but....
LCD monitors are much more like reading from a sheet of paper then say, off the tv.

Posts: 65 | From: Ipswich MA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2003 15:16      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes my LCD gives me no problems at all. I'm sold on them. Everything just looks better.
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted August 06, 2003 18:38      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LCDs here too. My 17" Studio Display is soooo much nicer than the Nokia 21" I am subjected to at work.

Funny how I can play Diablo, Majesty, and Ultima for hours with no eye strain, yet I spend 10 hours writing code or doing SAP stuff and it is terrible...

I need to try that eye-drop stuff, too. Always better to be well-lubed [Wink]

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2003 20:08      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly my motto, WS. [Wink]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 08:34      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
for some reason even with my lcd when i play Star Wars Galaxies i still get sore eyes, otherwise with lcd your eyes dont hurt

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted August 07, 2003 08:55      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Star Wars Galaxies looks like a great soul sucking game. I've always been cautious of MMORPG's. Even though I'm pretty good at putting down a game, and normally put them down before they're even beat, I see MMORPG's attractiveness and it worries me.

I've lost 3 friends to various games, Everquest took the first two. Playing 18 hours a day, quitting jobs, one of my friends (the first one I lost) even lost his really nice fiance because he wouldn't give it up. I'm on base right now, and the one geek here that I met that I'm getting along with is near impossible to get out of his room for anything other then a quick food run (most of the time he just orders pizza) and even when I go to his room I feel like a third wheel because he's playing SW Galaxies even when I put a movie on, or try to talk to him. [weep]

So I really am not a huge fan of MMORPG's because of what they can do to real life social relationships. But on the same hand, i'm not entirely critical of people who lose themselves in them because I understand that the value of online relationships is a perceptional issue and up to the individual.

So, if your eye's hurt while your playing Galaxies... try changing your scenery... grab a book or a friend and head out to the park.

Or at least, Doctors suggest that you should take a 10 min break every hour of computer use to help relax your eye muscles...

As to the above post, strain can be caused be overworking yourself, or spending too much time at the computer. If your a mac user try some of the below programs which help/force you to take breaks at a regular interval.

Rest Now
Coffee Break Pro

The top one being free and less forceful, and the bottom one is not free but It's as rude about getting you to take a break as it needs to be [devil wand]

Happy Geeking

--------------------
Check out my webpage/blog/review stash
www.logichigh.com

Posts: 377 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 13:16      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to second the suggestions of anti-glare coatings on eyeglasses, lubrication and breaks. Works for me. I just got new glasses and for the first time had the coating applied, and it is making a difference.

I won't go near SW Galaxies. It's bad enough that I've lost my son to Planetside.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted August 07, 2003 13:34      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow the lube, refresh rate, and breaks are all great ideas. i've just upped the refresh rate on my lcd monitor to 100hz, thats not overdoing it is it? hehe. i completely forget to take breaks and catch myself just gawking without blinking for very long periods of time.
Very bad.
Feliz geeking.

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 17:37      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The higher the refresh rate number, the better. Unfortunately, it's not so well known as it could be, and Windows doesn't default to the highest possible (which is pretty silly, IMHO), so there's a lot of computers out there running at a lower refresh rate than they should be. If you look at something like black text on a white screen, you can actually see the difference between a high and low refresh rate, once you are used to a high one.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted August 07, 2003 19:41      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know that. I'm sure a lot of people don't.
I went and bought Refresh eye drops and I can't stop using them. I had no idea eyes could dry up so much from staring @ a monitor.
Can eye drops be addictive? [Happytears] [crazy]

--------------------

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 20:02      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. And too much won't hurt. They're made to mimick your natural tears.
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2003 05:14      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
snupy: No. And too much won't hurt. They're made to mimick your natural tears.
[thread derailment alert]

There *has* to be a smart-ass answer to that somewhere - I've only taken the whole morning not coming up with it...
duhhhhhhhh...
[Wink]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2003 05:52      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, she misspelled "mimic", but if you're going for sexual innuendo, I'd focus on the phrase "too much won't hurt".
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2003 05:57      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks greycat - I have to say that, given the long list of things Her Snupiness wants to "talk to" me about (eek! run away!), it was the natural tears thing that was, umm, giving me grief...
[Wink]

MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 08, 2003 06:37      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These 'natural tears' Are pretty kinky...
ooooOOOooo [evil]
[Razz]

--------------------

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2003 06:40      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
Thanks greycat - I have to say that, given the long list of things Her Snupiness wants to "talk to" me about (eek! run away!), it was the natural tears thing that was, umm, giving me grief...
[Wink]

Oh, you'll be cryin' alright. Don't worry. [Razz] [Wink]

edit: Oh, and thanks for the capitalization. I feel like Zorro now. Is that out of respect, though, or fear??? [Big Grin]

--------------------

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2003 06:44      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:
Well, she misspelled "mimic", ...

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! I, I...misspelled something?? I don't think I can show my face here ever again. What will spungo think of me now?? oh, dear.... [Frown] [cry baby]

I can't live with myself...

--------------------

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2003 08:07      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Snupy: Oh, and thanks for the capitalization. I feel like Zorro now. Is that out of respect, though, or fear???
Fear. And ignorance. And "typically British" politeness. And stupidity. And...
<hysteria>hahahahahahahaha</hysteria>
[Razz]

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2003 09:29            Edit/Delete Post 
TVs puzzle me. PAL (UK system) has a vertical refresh rate of 50 Hz, and that is well below the level I need with a monitor - anything less than about 75 Hz and I can see it flickering (and my 486 runs at less than 75). Now, with an N64 console hooked up to a TV, I can actually see it flicker (at least, if the picture is still), but if I watch TV, I don't ever notice any flicker.

Even 75 looks a tad dodgy on this, but it's as high as the video chip will go.

IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2003 14:13      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that PAL, like NTSC, is interlaced. I know you know what interlaced means, ui, but for those that don't... interlaced means that the first time across the screen the odd numbered lines are illuminated, then the second time the even numbered lines are illuminated. Monitors arn't interlaced (normally) and scan line 1 then 2 then 3, etc. so they have to scan faster to keep everything lit.

As far as seeing flicker on the N64...that I'm not sure of. I know that some cheaper NTSC TVs will flicker with game images, but I can't remember the reasons why. Something to do with the intensity (brightness) of the images???

Oh, and, for anyone who's wondering, PAL is 50Hz, NTSC is 60Hz, but PAL has more lines then NTSC does.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted August 09, 2003 06:08      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The flickering in the N64 games could have something to do with poor graphics programing, or shortcuts used to keep the framerate up. If you need some interesting reading you should check out a book called "Tips and tricks of the Mac Game Programming Guru's" it's already way out of date as it's tips and tricks are based on using OS 9's new capabilities and taking advantage of some of the new features found in Quickdraw 3D...

But it does have a very good chapter on the troubles of making smooth non-ghosting/non-flickering graphics. Having to use additional off-screen bitmaps as a work bench so that the user doesn't see the individual sprites being added and erased from background prevents flickering/ghosting, but can slow down your framerate (especially if your already pushing the graphics chip as far as it goes)...

Or it could be something totally unrelated [ohwell]

Kevin

--------------------
Check out my webpage/blog/review stash
www.logichigh.com

Posts: 377 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture