homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » boston??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: boston??
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted July 21, 2003 23:15      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we are headed to boston and Ispwich or some name of the sorts on the coast for my cousines big rich fat wedding-- what is there to do around there?

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2003 03:20      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which Boston? I know the one in Lincolnshire is pretty bland, but Ipswich at least has a once-decent football team... (although Delia Smith would hate you for life!) [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
perfectstormy

SuperFan!
Member # 1434

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2003 04:00      Profile for perfectstormy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sightseeing, I guess. With Ipswich, MA as a base, you could visit tax-free Portsmouth, NH, Newburyport, Gloucester, Salem and Boston--all of which are rather historic and folkloric.

Around Ipswich itself, there's always Crane's Beach--more than just a beach, with marshes and wildlife, stands of pitch pine with deer, some big dunes, and some, um, "invigorating" water (for warm-water swimming on this coast, try south of the Cape). The Crane (of plumbing fixtures fame) Mansion is also open for tours, and there is a summer concert series on the lawn. The Trustees of Reservations used to do a tour of Hog Island, one of the locations filmed in the movie "The Crucible." There are tons of 17th century houses open for tours.

There is rather tranquil canoeing on the Ipswich River, sea kayaking and sunset tours in Essex Bay, and whale-watches and deep-sea fishing tours out of Gloucester. Bradley Palmer State Park is fun for mountain biking. There is antiquing in Essex and knick-knacks and red shacks in Rockport.

Regular commuter rail runs from Ipswich to Boston's North End. From there you can walk to the Museum of Science and/or Boston Common, or take the T to Cambridge and visit the very geeky MIT or Hahvahd Square to find the law offices of Dewey, Cheatham and Howe. The Fenway has art museums and the home of the team that never, ever seems to win the World Series, but often comes heart-wrenchingly close.

But if you dislike beaches, seafood and old houses, you can always just make fun of the natives and their funny accents [Smile]

Posts: 154 | From: nude hampster | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2003 04:10      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the summer I'm on the beautifull Island of Martha's Vineyard. If you would wish to come and sight see here (it's really quite spectacular), then you can take a Bonanza bus to Woods Hole, MA it's a half hour ride or so, then a 40 minute ferry, or pay for airfare from logan [Frown]

Here we have absolutely brilliant beaches, and it's one of the only places in the northeast where you can see the sun set over water. If you come, I'll probably be busy [Frown] but I can reccommend places to eat, visist, etc.

Anyway, visit Quincy market. Food. Good. Also may I reccommend visiting the science museum, and the aquarium. If you haven't seen the Matrix in IMAX, it's playing at the aquarium if i recall.

quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2003 08:01      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's plenty to do in Boston and Cambridge. I'll give the another plug for the Science Museum and Aquarium. You should also get over to Newberry St. (A few blocks north of the Prudential Center (("The Pru")) and running parallel to Beacon St. and Storrow Drive). You'll find the widest selection of interesting restaurants and shops there.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
schnurren
Geek
Member # 1571

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2003 08:21      Profile for schnurren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The greatest of all attractions in Boston is of coarse my house, but for tourist purposes, I would recommend the Science museum, as well as the art museum. Boston is a small city, so it's easy to get anywhere by foot. I would recommend starting in downtown (accsessable by all T lines) and walking to the North End (Little Italy and Quincy Market) and to the Harbor.
One of my favorite bars is in Harvard Square. It's called Charlie's. The music is a bit loud, but it has a nice atmosphere. The best restaurant is Mary Chung's, which is in central Square (red line). Across the street is the Middle East, which also has good food.
If you have any questions about my lovely home city, feel free to instant message me.

Posts: 184 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2003 10:30      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to see Martha Vineyard again- my cousine is getting married at some big estate around Crane (maybe it is crane estates but doesnt have that name) It should be interesting as they have 16 attendants total [shake head]
I have spent a lot of time in Boston and NH (I dated a guy from Plymouth NH for a loong time) so I know NH quite well-- although it may be odd to go back in my 'new life' I dont know.
What is this to do in Ipswich? how close is it to boston?

--------------------

addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2003 10:46      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually just looked it up- we are staying at this place called Emerson Inn in Rockport, MA
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2003 13:20      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad, that's a few hours drive to here [Frown] unless you go to logan and take a 34 minute plane (every hour on the hour), which I wouldn't do, logan sux [Smile]
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2003 14:28      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Rockport is a great place - I've been there a few times many years ago. Enjoy!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2003 14:54      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah what can you do in rockport? we are going to have 3 days there

--------------------

addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2003 23:01      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BE BACK TUESDAY FROM BOSTON!!!

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture