homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Another Whiny Depressing Post

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another Whiny Depressing Post
Coffee_geek
Assimilated
Member # 1608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2003 17:13      Profile for Coffee_geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't been sleeping well lately.

Firstly, I put off going to bed as late as possible. I dread it. Not because of nightmares or anything as silly as that. It's that time after the light goes off but before you fall asleep, and the only person there to keep you company is your own thoughts. So I try to refrain from thinking, or to think about happy things, but that invariably fails, and I end up staying up another hour or two, in psychological traps of my own divising...

Damn. I really don't mean to be such a downer. Usually I'm a jovial enough fellow. Lately I've been rather down... Please Bear With Me, geekculture forums!

Anyone have ideas? Meditation has already been suggested, and I've used it to some success, but it still keeps me up. I could get some NyQuil or somesuch, I suppose...

Seeming and Dreaming,
Coffee

--------------------
We got, ten minutes to get there
We got, ten minutes to go
Throw this one in for the money
Cause the next one's for the next show

Posts: 464 | From: Varies | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2003 17:40      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trick is to make sure you are so tired just before sleeptime that you have no other option but to fall asleep. Perhaps try having a brisk jog just before bed? Or anything else that you can think of that makes you feel totally stuffed afterwards.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2003 17:58      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Coffee_geek:
Firstly, I put off going to bed as late as possible. I dread it. Not because of nightmares or anything as silly as that. It's that time after the light goes off but before you fall asleep, and the only person there to keep you company is your own thoughts. So I try to refrain from thinking, or to think about happy things, but that invariably fails, and I end up staying up another hour or two, in psychological traps of my own divising...

me too

[ohwell]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2003 18:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No NyQuil, please!

Try coding into the wee hours...or reading.

I'd suggest talking to someone nice until 2 AM, but I know that choice is not quite available anymore [Frown] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr Bill
Assimilated
Member # 553

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted June 25, 2003 20:10      Profile for Mr Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Headphones and a favourite album. Then dream up your own music video to match the tune. Keeps your mind occupied and in a daydream kind of state, and then it's right off to sleepy-time.

Two warnings though: If you are one of those who toss and turn at night, you are liable to get tangled up in the cord. Also the tape clicking off at the end tends to wake me up. Not a problem if you have a CD player.
Or a good book.

Happy napping!

--------------------
Will work for taglines...

Posts: 378 | From: Down the hall, second door on the right | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
MistecMcetsiM
Mini Geek
Member # 2212

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2003 20:57      Profile for MistecMcetsiM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have trouble sleeping a lot of the time. It seems that if left to my own devices, I'll go to sleep later and later and later until I'm back to an early schedule I guess. It's really that I like the nighttime. Maybe my middle name is Drac. *wipes red liquid from chin* Anywho, the music thing works okay, except that sometimes it takes me more than an hour to get to sleep (more than an album). So, I'd recommend using a 3(or more)-disc changer to keep the tunes coming well into your REM splendor. I suppose you could say that if it takes more than an hour, then it's really not working for me, but then again logic is for the logical. To the sheets...

--------------------
Mistakes are inevitable, but to fear failure is the real mistake. ~Me

Posts: 79 | From: Philadelphia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fixerbob
Alpha Geek
Member # 1587

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted June 26, 2003 13:17      Profile for Fixerbob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely you don't mean that you want to be de-cafeinated ?
Posts: 301 | From: London, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2003 13:17      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I've read Coffee's posts and the responses, and it seems to me that the problem isn't the sleeping, it's the getting to that point. Unfortunately I suffer from the same problem, and I think it's for the same reasons.

I play the radio as I try to fall asleep. I keep it set to an AM news station, and make an effort to mentally focus on that. For example, I try to listen for the next day's weather. It's usually a sufficient enough distraction from what's on my mind (most of the time) and I fall asleep without noticing. I don't recommend music because that makes the problem worse for me. I wind up thinking about the lyrics.

Hope it works out, Coffee.

PS. I think this is my 100th post! [Smile]

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2003 13:28      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try not drinking coffee after 6pm. Or at least put a shot of Irish Whiskey in it if you must.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted June 26, 2003 15:36      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, your image in the forums will not be changed by your laments.

I can vouch for Coffee_geek, here, folks. He's a party-maker, not a party-pooper! [Wink]

Anyway, I reccommend late-night reading. No better way to escape reality! Get a copy of Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix (or some other book [ohwell] ) and ignore your own head until you can't stay awake any longer!

-Oz

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2003 17:02      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of exercise helps me. If you run, bike, climb, wahteer hard and long enough, your body will simply shut down and you'll sleep. You'll have weird-ass dreams, but you'll sleep.

IRC can also wear you out. [Smile]

<earthchild> Chamomile tea will help you sleep. It won't knock you out like NyQuil, it'll simply make you sleepy. So will turkey and apples (lots of tryptophan). I drank chamomile tea on Denali when the altitude was causing me sleep problems and it worked like a champ (though there may have been some placebo effect going on as well...).</earthchild>

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2003 17:33      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh! I've always taken 45 minutes to get to sleep... or longer. I just lay there and think... and think... and think. About everything and nothing in particular. I've noticed that it's worse when I have something that already occupies my thoughs (like when I was debating the practicality of buying my Microbus...I'm so glad I did [Smile] ).

I've tried meditation which helps, but not always. Sometimes I just can't get my brain to shut up long enough to clear everything out. I've found that reading a book for 30 minutes to an hour before clicking out the light often helps. Hopping on IRC (more info here) can also help get my mind away from myself, at least long enough to let me get to sleep. I've also resorted at times to counting Volkswagens. [Smile] Seems to work well if I really concentrate on it (It's kinda' like pseudo-meditation). Listen to the tickity sound of each VW engine as they drive by and as soon as one engine gets out of hearing range drive another one in.

Yes, I know I'm weird.

And, well... sometimes NyQuil is a necessity, although I really don't like to do it that way if I can avoid it.

Good luck, Coffee_geek, and sweet dreams!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 12 posted June 26, 2003 18:40            Edit/Delete Post 
Use the mallet, Luke! *thwack* .zZz.

Alternatively, leave this open on your screen:
 -

IP: Logged
TonyRad
Assimilated
Member # 1448

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2003 19:04      Profile for TonyRad         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I hear ya coffee. I been like that for a long time now, I feel tired, but when I try to sleep, I just can't. For me I know it's unresolved problems that I'm trying to work out in my head. It's a real pain, escpecially when you lack self confidence and spend a lot of time thinking about a "special some one".

Tony Rad

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture