homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Wedding of Death!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wedding of Death!
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted June 18, 2003 09:30      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed that while Josh and I have been planning our wedding people involved have tended to die. Not too many so far
  • The first DJ we were going to hire died. The new one seems relatively healthy but we're keeping an eye on him.
  • A great aunt passed away a few weeks ago. Josh didn't really know her, so I guess it wasn't too traumatic.
  • The woman who was dealing with our wedding at The Delta King died a little over a week ago. The Delta King went through a lot of trouble to reassure us that it was still being handled with great care and everything would be fine. I think they were actually surprised when I asked when she died and how her family was doing.

So until yesterday the death toll was up to three.

And then the phone call...

As I was going home yesterday from having ice cream with Just_Jess (which was a lot of fun, and thank you again [Smile] ) I took a look at my cell phone and noticed I had missed a call. I also had a voice message.

Josh's mom was trying to get in touch with us because her dad just died. [Frown] He was pretty old so it wasn't a really big shock, but she's pretty upset. The funeral is going to be on Monday and it will be out of town so I think I'm going to have to take the day off of work so we can go to that and be there for her. I met him a couple times. He was really nice and a very neat guy to be around. I know he'll be missed.

So anyway it seems like people associated with the wedding are dropping like flies, and I won't be around on Monday. That's pretty much it.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2003 09:39      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peebs... thinking good thoughts for you and Josh. Hang in there.
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2003 10:39      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very soarry to hear about the passing of Josh's grandfather. I know you and I talked at length about both yours and his families.

My sister who lives in Belgium was going to get married a year earlier when her future mother-in-law passed. The family decided it would be best to put the wedding off for a year.

As for the Wedding of Death, be careful. This is as Weekly World News odd as one can get.

Again, my condolences to your family, and I hope that nothing more goes awry as you get closer to your nuptials.

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2003 11:08      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch. That's just...weird. And scary. And sad.

I know a woman who has two children. Both times, within a week of her delivery, someone in her or her husband's family died. She's not planning to have any more kids.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Punk Rawk Poet
Assimilated
Member # 2174

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2003 11:11      Profile for Punk Rawk Poet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I suppose you could exchange life insurance policies instead of vows. More seriously though, I'm really sorry about Josh's grandfather. Even under normal circumstances that would really suck, but when important type things (weddings, funerals, birthday anniversaries etc.) happen so close together it puts a lot of undue strain on families. Sometimes trauma tends to take center stage over joy in situations such as these. The only person in my family that everyone liked (a favorite aunt) died on my birthday a couple years back, and now all I ever hear about on my birthday is how great it would be if she were alive. I hope your wedding turns out a hell of a lot better than that. When is the wedding? Hopefully there isn't a lot of time left for others to die. This is pretty creepy.

--------------------
The cat came back...
~A song from my primary school days

Posts: 447 | From: Boringville , USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2003 11:21      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you everybody.

Just_Jess and Xanthine, yeah it is really freaky. In my mind anyway it would make more sense if they were all relatives, hey they're old, but having the other people die was very strange. Perhaps I should call up the National Enquirer and see if they want the story?

Punk Rock Poet, only 10 days left until the nuptuals so there shouldn't be much time left for anyone else to buy the farm. OTOH it means there will be a funeral only 5 days before the wedding. [ohwell] It could become something that is talked about every anniversary but I don't think so.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 7 posted June 18, 2003 11:25      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peebs, I think you and Josh are looking forward to a huge milestone in your lives and are more aware of the events that are happening around you. I would be suprised if these were the first deaths in either of your families.

You should go ahead with the wedding, it will bring your families together, foster healing and make people happy.

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2003 11:31      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Peebs, I think you and Josh are looking forward to a huge milestone in your lives and are more aware of the events that are happening around you. I would be suprised if these were the first deaths in either of your families.

You should go ahead with the wedding, it will bring your families together, foster healing and make people happy.

These definitely aren't the first deaths in either of our families, it's the proximity that has me freaked out, though you probably are right about us being more aware of it. (We would never have known that the great-aunt died if we hadn't been calling to find out why she hadn't RSVP'd.)

We're definitely going on with the wedding. Even Grandma Leona (Leonard's wife) will be there. Life moves on. The wedding will be beautiful and everyone will have fun and nothing will go wrong! (Positive thinking works wonders, I'm told)

Punk Rawk Poet
Assimilated
Member # 2174

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2003 12:08      Profile for Punk Rawk Poet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
Punk Rock Poet, only 10 days left until the nuptuals so there shouldn't be much time left for anyone else to buy the farm.

Now you're buying a farm? Where at? [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes]

Good luck!

--------------------
The cat came back...
~A song from my primary school days

Posts: 447 | From: Boringville , USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2003 12:36      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way this is going, peebs, I'm surprised I haven't received my invitation yet. . .

--------------------
I must first reveal my personal bias in this discussion, since I worship at the 'First Church of PDF Really Sucks.'
-Bruce Tognazzini
http://thegeekgroup.org
Geek ID# 1162

Posts: 692 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted June 18, 2003 16:05      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about the deaths.

I hope you're not planning to vacation in Bermuda?

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2003 16:26      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear your sad news. Good luck, and yes the wedding will be a great day for everyone.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2003 17:15      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
Thank you everybody.
OTOH it means there will be a funeral only 5 days before the wedding. [ohwell] It could become something that is talked about every anniversary but I don't think so.

This is actually an opportunity for you to celebrate his life, too. Perhaps you can toast his and Leona's life together (hope it was a long marriage), and with Josh, find some couple-sentence way to bring the things Josh loved about him to the wedding.

This will make Grandma Leona and Josh's Mom very happy. Perhaps light a candle during the ceremony for the people who couldn't be here? There's a million things you can do which are tiny remembrances which will endear you both to those people who are having to live joy and pain at the same time.

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2003 11:28      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, it occurs to me that this might be a family tradition. When my parents were getting married my dad's father got pretty sick. They knew he wouldn't make it to the wedding as scheduled so they moved it up a couple of months. He died about a month before the wedding anyway.

I guess I should be glad these are strangers and distant relatives instead of parents.

CyberGoddess
Highlie
Member # 147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2003 20:33      Profile for CyberGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yipes!

When my parents got married, my grandmother (my mom's mom) had a stroke the day afterwards and never fully recovered.

When my brother got married, my grandmother (my dad's mom) passed away from cancer the day after. During the ceremony, the minister read her favorite bible verse ("To everything, there is a season...") in her honor since she was bedridden and could not attend. I was expected to sing right after this. It was practically impossible.

The next day, we were called to go see her. You could tell she was barely hanging on. She apparently refused to let go until someone told her "Your baby grandson is married now, Memaw." and my uncle told her it was okay for her to go. 30 minutes later, she left us.

I'm kinda wondering what's going to happen after my wedding next year [Frown]

--------------------
CyberGoddess
La Goddess of Go-Go :)
http://www.kageneko.net
After Y2K Fan Club Member #15

"Chaos. Panic. Disorder. My work here is done."

Posts: 621 | From: Larkspur, CA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Coffee_geek
Assimilated
Member # 1608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2003 22:38      Profile for Coffee_geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that weddings are marvelous, good luck to you both.

Anyway, I hate to say it, but it all boils down to statistics. I figgure that somewhere, out there, at some point, there was or willbe a wedding in which every person invited dies. It's inevitable. It will probably be mine [Razz] Anyway. I hope there are no other deaths attached to /your/ wedding. Like poor Nicholas and Alexandrea... sad, that.

Best of Luck!

Seeming and Dreaming,
Coffee

--------------------
We got, ten minutes to get there
We got, ten minutes to go
Throw this one in for the money
Cause the next one's for the next show

Posts: 464 | From: Varies | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2003 03:04      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Coffee_geek:
I figgure that somewhere, out there, at some point, there was or willbe a wedding in which every person invited dies. It's inevitable. It will probably be mine [Razz]

Hey, at least you could consummate your marriage at the altar then [Eek!] .

--------------------
I must first reveal my personal bias in this discussion, since I worship at the 'First Church of PDF Really Sucks.'
-Bruce Tognazzini
http://thegeekgroup.org
Geek ID# 1162

Posts: 692 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 4 posted June 22, 2003 21:42      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peebs Watch 2003!

Less than a week to go... let's all use the power of the Geek to keep Peebs' and Josh's Geek Love ceremony from having any more unhappy tidings or calamities.

I look forward to talking to you again this week, Peebs, and I hope that everything will end up fine all the way to the recessional, reception, and honeymoon!

Jess

--------------------

Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2003 23:56      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about the deaths. I had a friend who had more than usual number of people she knew die around the same time. She got depressed.

Maybe, because of the wedding, you're involved with a much larger circle of people than you have in your life, so it seems like more people you know are dying. Deaths per capita, sort of thing.

Congratulations, btw!

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2003 08:52      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everybody!

The funeral was nice. There was a lot of family there. Leonard was prolific. I don't remember how many children he had, but there were 26 grandchildren [Eek!] , over 40 great-grandchildren, and even a few great-great-grandchildren.

Josh, as one of the grandchildren was given the duty of pall-bearer. The most impressive part of the ceremony, I thought, was the VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) presentation of the flag to Grandma Leona.

It was nice to spend the afternoon with Josh's mom and brothers. I wish the circumstances were different, but it doesn't happen very often so I guess we take the time together that we can get. I found out that all this time Josh's brother has been engaged too! His fiance has been married before so they're taking it slowly and don't have a date yet. I'm really excited about that anyway. I don't have any sisters, and now I'm going to (eventually) get a sister-in-law! It will be fun having a sister-in-law only a couple of years younger than my mother. [Razz]

A few people came from very far out of town for the funeral, so they won't be able to make the wedding too. At least I got to meet them.

So the day wasn't that bad. No one else has died and the wedding will go on. I think we'll be all right.

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2003 15:07      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My fingers are crossed for you babe!
Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture