homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » The good, the bad,...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The good, the bad,...
Mr Bill
Assimilated
Member # 553

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted March 29, 2003 23:37      Profile for Mr Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and the ugly is yet to come.

I am now running Mandrake 9!
After giving up trying to figure out how to install from a Linux Format mag DVD, I downloaded the ISO's and installed to my humble PIII-450. Ooooo! Pretty! But, sad to say, I am still dual booting with 98se. Gotta have my games... [Smile]

I had a weird problem with 98se, it would boot to the desktop and then go right into standby mode. Tap the keyboard and it would come back, then go right back into standby. Bring it back, shutdown, it goes into standby. (arrrg) Bring it back, then it would shutdown. Reboot, desktop, standby. What the...?
I've never used standby mode in my life. I didn't even recognize it the first few times it happenned. Booted into safe mode, ran a virus check, nothing. Checked the power management settings, nothing. Hacked the registry, nothing. Reboot, desktop, standby. Tried everything I could think of, nothing. Ok, maybe I can find something on Google (surfing in safe mode < fun), nope. Give up for a while, go get part for car. Come back, Dad's checking his email. On my computer. Standby is nowhere in sight. Seems that when the network login came up, he didn't know what it was, so he cancelled it and kept right on going. Reboot, cancel login, works fine. WTF? Reboot, login, desktop, standby.

crap.

Ok, how about...remove MS networking, reboot, works fine. Reinstall MS networking, reboot, login, desktop, works fine. It's things like this that tempt me to toast the windows partition and install RedHat.

Still waiting to find out what the ugly is going to be, maybe we'll get a snowstorm tomorrow.

--------------------
Will work for taglines...

Posts: 378 | From: Down the hall, second door on the right | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2003 19:09            Edit/Delete Post 
Ah....Microsoft Windows, the epitome of rationality, consistency and reliability... :)
IP: Logged
Lossenelin
Newbie Larva
Member # 2093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2003 23:49      Profile for Lossenelin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ah that sure brings back memories of my dual booting days.
Just wait untill Windows deletes your boot loader, then you wont be able to use either OS.
Now wont that be fun?
hope you made a boot disk...

--------------------
Lossenlin
http://www.mixingsoup.com
http://www.soupfiction.net

Posts: 9 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2003 00:07      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lossenelin:

Just wait untill Windows deletes your boot loader, then you wont be able to use either OS.
Now wont that be fun?
hope you made a boot disk...

Even if you didn't, shouldn't be that bad. Just download your favourite linux rescue disk, and rerun lilo, chrooting as you go.
Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mr Bill
Assimilated
Member # 553

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted March 31, 2003 20:15      Profile for Mr Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, despite my longtime habit of never making a startup disk when installing windows, I did have the installer create a boot disk.

And you're right, I could just download a rescue disk if it came to that, as I always have a spare box around. But something I've run across many times doing tech support is people who only have one computer. You can't direct them to troubleshooting websites if they have no connection, you can't email them their network password,...

--------------------
Will work for taglines...

Posts: 378 | From: Down the hall, second door on the right | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture