homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Winter Blast!! Part II (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Winter Blast!! Part II
Orbhead
Geek
Member # 608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2003 18:26      Profile for Orbhead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember the insanely long thread a few years back called Winter Blast?

Well I think it's time for a sequel. This time of course, Nitrozac & Snaggy are living it up on the west coast, with memories of lake effect snow coming off Georgain Bay all but a distant memory.

My god is it ever cold. It hasn't been above the minus double digits for almost two weeks now. And the snow... I went through a jug of washer fluid just on the way home from work today. And the resivoir only holds half a jug. Litre per litre, washer fluid is more expensive than gasoline, and I went through more washer fluid than the gas it took to get me home.

I heard it even snowed in Georgia.

Posts: 162 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 2 posted January 23, 2003 19:09      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's -37 Celcius here in the Yukon....Have you ever heard of square tires???

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted January 23, 2003 19:16      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's 6º F here (Kentucky), with a wind chill of -10º F. Brrr! [Eek!]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2003 19:42      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night, it was 5.2 F, and it is now 7.7 F. When I was going home tonight, it was 11 F, and I thought I was going to freeze until the heat started working, and it was 9 F when I got home, but at least I was quite warm by then.

The other major annoyance with this weather is that my car has been taking a lot of abuse from the sand in the roads. I park just off to the side of my street (on my property), and passing cars stir up the dust, making my car dirty, and my windows opaque. One morning this week I had to give my car an emergency window wash, as I couldn't see out of my windows -- and I washed my car completely less than 2 weeks ago. I may just clean my car tomorrow morning (though I really don't have the time), since I may be giving someone a ride, and don't want my car so unpresentable.

Right now, I can hear the wind whipping through the trees - I don't even want to imagine the wind chill factor.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted January 23, 2003 23:24      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Orbhead! Oh how I remember...

...and I also remember how irritating it was to hear Vancouver Islanders talk about flowers blooming and warm sunny days in January, and since I'm enjoying those right now, I won't mention them, [Wink]

Posts: 8181 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Orbhead
Geek
Member # 608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2003 03:25      Profile for Orbhead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
The other major annoyance with this weather is that my car has been taking a lot of abuse from the sand in the roads. I park just off to the side of my street (on my property), and passing cars stir up the dust, making my car dirty, and my windows opaque. One morning this week I had to give my car an emergency window wash, as I couldn't see out of my windows -- and I washed my car completely less than 2 weeks ago. I may just clean my car tomorrow morning (though I really don't have the time), since I may be giving someone a ride, and don't want my car so unpresentable.

Yikes. Do I ever know what you are talking about. I just bought my car two months ago, and it needs to be cleaned every day because of all the salty buildup. Unfortunately, I can't wash it every day, maybe once a week if I am lucky, and I swear it's wreaking havoc on my poor little car. The 401 is kicking my ass.
Orbhead
Geek
Member # 608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2003 03:27      Profile for Orbhead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Orbhead! Oh how I remember...

...and I also remember how irritating it was to hear Vancouver Islanders talk about flowers blooming and warm sunny days in January, and since I'm enjoying those right now, I won't mention them, [Wink]

Ah yes. Of course not! That would just be mean...

Just remember, you are always welcome back to Meaford... maybe build some igloos, hunt some teletubbies...

perfectstormy

SuperFan!
Member # 1434

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2003 06:49      Profile for perfectstormy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The daily highs are around the usual lows for this area: 14F here currently, but it's been a few degrees below zero F before sunrise here most mornings, ten and twelve below this past weekend. Can't wait for it to get above freezing [Big Grin] So much for New England's "January Thaw"--they are using Coast Guard boats as icebreakers in Boston Harbor.

On the other hand, I can't wait to go ice-fishing...

Posts: 154 | From: nude hampster | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2003 08:30      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.whtvcable.com/webcam/streetcam.htm

Check it out y'all ^^^^^

View is best between 10am and 2pm (pacific time) when the sun is up.

Man I LOVE when there is only 4 hours of sunlight and it's 40 below [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Declan
Geek
Member # 1123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2003 12:40      Profile for Declan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Well I think it's time for a sequel. This time of course, Nitrozac & Snaggy are living it up on the west coast, with memories of lake effect snow coming off Georgain Bay all but a distant memory.

Oh there will be payback for those west coast deserters , oh yes indeed

Lake effect coming off georgian , like in living color .

Declan

--------------------
Insert witty catchism here.

Posts: 119 | From: Barrie,ontario,canada | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mindzeye5
Geek Apprentice
Member # 978

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted January 26, 2003 14:39      Profile for Mindzeye5   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
man, how come i always miss out on all the fun?
it's a boring, balmy 57º F here in California, oh well...

--------------------
To sleep, perchance to dream. Ay, there's the rub...

http://24.4.195.179/ hardcore geeks don't need domain names

Posts: 46 | From: Carnegie Mellon, Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2003 17:46      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's toasty warm at 26.8 F out, and it's snowing right now. However, this is very light snow, and probably won't amount to more than 1-2". The ice still hasn't melted from the lawn yet, and I can now walk across the very compact 3" of snow/ice out there.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2003 20:05      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Well, it's toasty warm at 26.8 F out, and it's snowing right now. However, this is very light snow, and probably won't amount to more than 1-2". The ice still hasn't melted from the lawn yet, and I can now walk across the very compact 3" of snow/ice out there.

My middle finger is extended in your general direction. It is 7 degrees F outside right now witha wind chill advisory out, so once that lovely Rochester breeze picks up it'll be closer to -15. It has snowed every day of the month so far. You know it's bad when you a) break out your cold weather climbing gear just to survive the .25 mile walk to class, b) notice and do a happy dance when the temp breaks the double digits and c) yell, scream and carry on when you warm up to freezing.
For those of you writing me off as wuss, I'm really a West Coastie. In Seattle we call it bitter cold when it gets below 35 F. Even after three years of upstate NY I still can't get used to these extremes.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2003 21:38      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm *in* the 'West Coastie', and we haven't seen any snow over here (save up near Forks and that area maybe). All we get is wind and rain. Today, it was just sprinkly though [Roll Eyes] .

I happen to love the cold (although Bees might say different), though, and love the rain we have up here. And the times we do have snow, I go out and jog. It's actually those times in the year (whenever the dingleberry those precisely are) that I run a lot faster as opposed to when we get sun.

(Current temp: 47 F; tomorrow and Tuesday, they say 50 F [usually they're never right though])

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2003 22:28      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twinkle Toes:
Well, I'm *in* the 'West Coastie', and we haven't seen any snow over here (save up near Forks and that area maybe). All we get is wind and rain. Today, it was just sprinkly though [Roll Eyes] .
(Current temp: 47 F; tomorrow and Tuesday, they say 50 F [usually they're never right though])

Grrr. I was home on break (I live ~20 min. south of you) and it was like that. So balmy. So nice. Just be careful about the drizzle. It gets into your marrow if you stay out in too long.
The beauty of the Puget Sound area is if you feel the need to play in the snow, you can drive east for an hour or so and have all the snow you could ever desire. Then, when you're done, you can go home and enjoy the evergreens and green grass. Here on the Great Lakes it's either brown or white, and you can't run and hide from it either. The snow finds you, the thaws find you, the salty roads leave white marks on your pants...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2003 22:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Xanthine, thanks, I'm touched. With the exception of the last day, it's been utterly frigid around here, though it hasn't been snowing. And I do have relatives up in Syracuse who are sharing your misfortune. Last week was horrible, as I'd have to go to my car in 11 F temperatures, and with all the regular students back, I often find myself going quite far to my car (I want a departmental parking spot - as would the others [no such thing exists] [Wink] - or a cone that I can put up when I go to lunch). The other day when I went to mail a letter at the post office, I thought I was going to freeze to death inside my car. I don't remember it being so cold here for such a prolonged period of time.

After washing my car (as it was totally covered in sand/dirt), water that dripped on the driveway after I left the garage froze within minutes, making black ice. That water was warm - so that was some pretty cold air.

Right now, it's 20.7 F, and still snowing.

BTW, Xanthine, this is my native area, so I am more accustomed to such fun weather.

TT, I like cold weather, but this is pushing my limits. I actually stepped outside a few hours ago wearing nothing more than a t-shirt and some pants to judge the snow and temperature, and didn't mind much, but prolonged exposure along with stronger winds is not something I greatly enjoy.

Alas, I hear this upcoming week will be quite cold, and I do not look forward to that, more so for someone else than for me - but perhaps I can lend her my coat at some point (though I might turn into an icicle). This is also all the more reason for me to give her a ride so she doesn't have to wait in the cold for the bus (an unpleasant thing I used to have to do for awhile).

--------------------

skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2003 01:23      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're having a pretty mild winter, here. The North of England isn't generally considered to be the mildest place, but a light cord jacket or even just a sweater has been enough for me to keep warm over the past couple of weeks. I saw the first snowdrops of the year last Wednesday, and now they're popping up everywhere [Big Grin]

Mind you, I'm actually kinda disappointed. Last summer was rainy and cold... blech. And now winter is far too mild! I like my seasons to be real seasons, and I'm somewhat pissed that our car hasn't got stuck in the snow even once! [Wink]

sky

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2003 02:48      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
...We're having a pretty mild winter, here. The North of England isn't generally considered to be the mildest place, but a light cord jacket or even just a sweater has been enough for me to keep warm over the past couple of weeks.

Quite. I had about three weeks of scraping frost off my windshield (my indicator of warmth) this winter - since then, not a sausage. Thank Elvis for global warming is all I can say! Woo hoo!
Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2003 05:20      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sory to offend dragon. Its's too early to come up with a witty excuse, beyond I was still thawing from my last venture outside when I wrote that.

I got into UAriz. So maybe I'll kiss both snow and rain godbye and spend the next six years of my life in Tucson.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2003 07:03      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Sory to offend dragon. Its's too early to come up with a witty excuse, beyond I was still thawing from my last venture outside when I wrote that.

I got into UAriz. So maybe I'll kiss both snow and rain godbye and spend the next six years of my life in Tucson.

Haha, it would take a good bit more to offend me [Smile] . I'll definitely agree that it was way to early for you to come up with a witticism - if only GC showed our time zones - once I added the typical 3 hours for us, I realized that it was quite early indeed - I was just getting up around then.

--------------------

Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2003 13:52      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,

It's the third week in January already.

It's supposed to be cold.

Today I was making faces at a group of 8-year olds waiting for their bus. They made faces back and I stuck their tongues to a light pole."

Most fun I've had in years. "Living Sculpture" I call it.

Either that or, "Light Poler Bears."

Hehehe.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted January 27, 2003 19:54      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

<Personal Comment>

Arizona is beautiful and I'd love to live there for a good deal of time, but I was quite disappointed and angered to learn that they don't celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr. Day down there.

</Personal Comment>

--------------------
Mmmmrreow!

Twinkle Toes
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 27, 2003 20:11      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Genotype: (Day/current) 44 F. Winds S at 'calm'- 0mph. Relative Humidity: 79%. Barometer: 30.12; (Night)Overcast skies. Low 41F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph.

Phenotype: (Day/current) Nothin' mixed with a sprinkle and a twist of Headache; (Night) Gonna be cold... get your jacket.

This weather broadcast has been brought to you by Spishack.

--------------------
Mmmmrreow!

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2003 20:20      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twinkle Toes:
<Personal Comment>

Arizona is beautiful and I'd love to live there for a good deal of time, but I was quite disappointed and angered to learn that they don't celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr. Day down there.

</Personal Comment>

Dude, I haven't been able to celebrate MLK Day since I finished public schooling. This year they did can classes, but only on on the undergrad campus. Unfortunately, I'm signed up for a very scary course over at the med/grad school, so at 8:30 that morning, while my roommates slept, I was marching my frozen butt to class. Gotta love being a senior sometimes.

Cute comment on the weather. I sense a budding biogeek in you.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Twinkle Toes
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted January 29, 2003 00:18      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, thanks Xanthine; coming from you, my all-time favourite geekettical Biogeek. [Big Grin]

Well, usually all I do for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is wear a armband/pin/piece of paper with a circle-slash over the word 'RACISM', think and talk a lot about movements and how far we've come, things that have been in the news that I can relate racism to and watch movies like "Mississippi Burning."

((Current temp: 42 F. Winds SE at 7mph. Relative Humidity: 92%. Barometer: 30.16))

--------------------
Mmmmrreow!

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture