homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Non Posters (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Non Posters
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted January 02, 2003 11:21      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just took a look at our new member directory and decided to browse based on number of posts. Not surprisingly Zorro was #1 with Snaggy close behind. But then I took a look at the end of the list. There are 20 pages i.e. 600 people who have registered and not made one single post! [Eek!] [Confused]

I don't understand it. You don't have to be registered to read posts, only if you want to say something.

Well, thank you [Big Grin] to all of you who take the time to post here, instead of just registering (or, as has been mentioned before, starting a welcome thread and disappearing into thin air).

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2003 11:37      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where is this directory of which you speak?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2003 11:46      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
some of those will be duplicates (joined multiple times before a unique email was required), or people who put in the wrong email address by mistake... some perhaps just wanting to snag their nick, then wait for the perfect moment to post... others sadly just seem to lose their nerve.
Posts: 8181 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2003 12:52      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cap'n:

When you are logged in "directory" is to the right of "my profile". It is a new feature.

Snaggy:

Yeah, I know some are duplicates and all, but still, there are 600. That is upwards of 30% of all registered users. It seems a bit excessive.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

ArchMike
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 1909

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2003 12:59      Profile for ArchMike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And then there are people like me who register thinking about all the great things they will post, and then realize they don't really have anything good to say. It's like having a great idea you can't wait to tell people, but the second you say it out loud, it sounds stupid. That's why I don't tell people my ideas anymore. [Wink]

Oh, and it doesn't help that the second after I start using a new nickname, I despise it. Never a second before, but the instant I hit the register button!

Oh well, you can give a lurker an account, but you can't make him post. Now, to disappear till the next blue moon. . .

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 02, 2003 13:04      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the boards! [Smile] You have now de-lurked. Cool. I don't mind people that wait a few days before posting. Not everyone checks their e-mail right away. But some of the people who haven't posted have been registered for weeks, months, or even years! Whoa.

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

ArchMike
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 1909

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2003 13:16      Profile for ArchMike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I registered with a different name a while ago (at least a few months), posted a couple times, then stopped in less than a week. Lurkers aren't really built for chatting. But we DO love registering! I guess its for the off chance we ever get something really important to say.

I'll make it my New Years resolution to post more!! How long do most people keep those? A month? Maybe I can do that. [Wink]

--------------------
"Dance Like it hurts, love like you need money, work when people are watching." ~Scott Adams

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 02, 2003 13:36      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ArchMike... lol, great first post. [Smile]

and welcome!
[Smile]

I hear from many people that they are a little nervous posting at first, I think that's natural, especially on such a high quality Forum. [Big Grin]

I liked the Forum thread or two that encouraged people to de-lurk... it's a non-pressure and quick way to join the fun. [Smile]

Posts: 8181 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted January 02, 2003 15:33      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and then there are people who just won't shut up!(me) [Wink]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2003 15:59      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL! Actually I think Zorro gets that honor if we go by number of posts. Of course if we take into account how long each of you have been here...

<mumbling> Let's see for GMx 5 and a half months, 1551 posts, that's 282 posts per month, and for Zorro 15 months, 2178 posts, that's 145 posts per month </mumbling>

How about that. You win!

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2003 16:13      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, there was a stretch where I didn't have much going on so I spent a lot of time here reading and posting. I have a rather full schedule now so My post frequency is going way down. It's only a matter of time before I am passed up and left behind. I have gotten used to being left behind .......Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2003 16:21      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you need to worry for a while, Z. Snaggy is 30 posts behind you, so he might catch up. But the next closest is...

*drumroll*

Snupy! at 1870 posts. 310 posts away.

You've got time.

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2003 07:05      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also find it odd that a few hundred people would register and never post. That implies that even more people are out there simply reading the forums and never registering. I think about a year ago I started a thread on "What makes a lurker decide to post" because I simply don't understand the personality traits that would have someone follow a conversation for an extended time and not join in. I guess we who just can't shut up don't understand the quiet, reflective types.
Posts: 2905 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2003 08:02      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to think of them as soul voyeurs - trying to get a handle on our collective aura. ( ...the last time I tried to touch a girl's aura I got six months [Frown] )

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2003 11:10      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps some of them only communicate via private messages? Geek Culture must be riddled with underground networks of unknown communication. Yes, thats it.

Or or or... perhaps they'd like to be able to post one day about something, and be able to say "I've been lurking here since 1998"

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2003 12:17      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lex:

Or or or... perhaps they'd like to be able to post one day about something, and be able to say "I've been lurking here since 1998"

"And I'm not going to read your comic anymore because you won't update AY2K every day!" [Roll Eyes]
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 03, 2003 12:25      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

-

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2003 12:36      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the intimidating thing about posting is that it's such a statement. It's there in black and white, your name is next to it in big letters, and you'd better be prepared to defend what you've written. Kind of like a term paper. (I hated term papers.)
I'm much better in conversation. Therefore, I have a lot of fun in the #joyoftech IRC channel.
BUT... I have resolved to post more, and quit being so damned self-monitoring. So watch out! [Big Grin]

Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2003 12:41      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's right. A Superfan shouldn't do this.

-

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

SupportGoddess

Member # 822

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2003 13:36      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can think of a couple reasons people may register and not post.

First, it is polite to get the general tone of a conversation and an idea of generally acceptable behavior. I'm sure some people registered with the intent of posting based on a single thread, read further and maybe found this wasn't their bag.

There are also users with multiple registered nic's (for whatever reason.) I have the nic I use in IRC registered as well. It would probably get a little confusing if someone else registered it and posted under it.

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Posts: 1150 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
erp
Assimilated
Member # 602

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2003 14:04      Profile for erp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ArchMike --

I know exactly what you mean...except for the nick thing, cuz my nick is my real-life nick.

I was once told never to cross the streams of real-life and Mac-life....but upon the appearance of the Stay-Puft marshmallow man, I had no choice.

Snaggy --

Do these things ever expire? [Confused]

Princess --

Are you do a project for statistics class, or are tabulating random stats your thing [Wink]

--------------------
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." - Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)

Posts: 484 | From: beneath the Gables of Coral | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
djbrez
Newbie Larva
Member # 1376

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2003 15:42      Profile for djbrez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I joined to support the site: I love the comics and the polls, and subscribed to show my appreciation.

So my forum posts are infrequent, but the love is still there...

Posts: 7 | From: Carol Stream, IL | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2003 16:04      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
great post, that deserves some sparklies! [Big Grin]
Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted January 03, 2003 16:16      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and some more! [Smile]
Hikaru
Alpha Geek
Member # 1142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2003 23:15      Profile for Hikaru   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I kinda know what you mean about the non posters, I mean over at Fark we have people constantly complaining about either Photoshop stock material, quality of the photo shops or the subject matter tah the shoppers put into their creations, and these people never post a photoshop, that is like the majority of people who complain about the elected officials, theyre the ones who never vote.

--------------------
Sister Woman, she speaks for the collective, that and scolds me for my poor typing, dont let her smile fool you.

Posts: 317 | From: AppleDale, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture