homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Pic of me

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pic of me
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 12:43      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The forums don't seem to be very geocities friendly when it comes to posting pics (just blame me for being cheap and not wanting to pay for a "real" webpage) but if anyone wants to see a pic of me and my sweetie you can click here and see it.

I got my Geekier Than Thou t-shirt yesterday and will be posting pics of me wearing it soon.

<Edit>
The link doesn't work. See my last post. I hope to have something working soon.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
erp
Assimilated
Member # 602

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted December 11, 2002 13:50      Profile for erp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it great to be in love?!

Rock on with your bad self, and your beau!

--------------------
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." - Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)

Posts: 484 | From: beneath the Gables of Coral | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 14:02      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dang......your pic ain't working.....

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 14:07      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll set up a rudimentary homepage w/geocities and put a link to my pic there once I get home and double check the link I have posted. I'm at work, and they have disabled access to free web pages so I can't do it now.

Now don't laugh. I don't know html or anything else so I'm going to be using the template available through yahoo. My geekiness is much more in my knowledge of trivia and proficience at math and science than in computer skills. (Sacrilige, I know!) But if any of you would like to volunteer to design a web page for me I would be more than happy to accept...

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 14:50      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
pb
just pm'ed you a quicky html pic template, or at least I think I did, hit flood control [Frown]

anyhow, what's your isp, most give you free webspace with ftp, it's much easier than the geocities run around.

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 15:03      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sosumi:
anyhow, what's your isp, most give you free webspace with ftp, it's much easier than the geocities run around.

ArdenNet. I had never heard of them until Dad switched to them from Earthlink. (Instead of paying $20/month now he pays $10, oh brother... [Roll Eyes] )

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 15:10      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want, I can temporarily host a pic on my site...it'd be at a page like http://home.earthlink.net/~joshnerius/whateverthepictureis.jpg

I know this doesn't take care of putting up a real html page of sorts, but at least you would have your picture viewable right away.

-SM

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 15:22      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, is everyone unable to see it, or just Cap'n?
NefariousAnthony
Geek
Member # 1720

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 15:36      Profile for NefariousAnthony   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see it either, and I've clicked so many links I don't know where I am anymore . . . Does GCEMS cover amnesia?
Posts: 201 | From: The Deep South, y'all | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 15:40      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grrrr...

I will definitely investigate.

sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 16:06      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you can't see it because geocities won't allow much traffic to free pages, they'll put up a type of 404 for a few hours.

pb, are you on a mac? you can get a free 60(?)day trail .mac account and link from the idisk.

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 16:12      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
you can't see it because geocities won't allow much traffic to free pages

That seems very silly to me, but I suppose they need to have some incentive for people to upgrade.
quote:

pb, are you on a mac? you can get a free 60(?)day trail .mac account and link from the idisk.

Unfortunately I am not. I had someone build my PC five years ago from parts I purchased separately, and I haven't had the money for a new computer since then. I haven't even had the money for new software. My fiance, however, has an imac. The old one not the new one. I might be able to work something out with him.

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 16:22      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I get is "We're sorry, but this page is currently unavailable for viewing.
If this site belongs to you, please read this help page for more information and assistance."

I would suggest trying out http://liquid2k.com
Thay offer decent free service and last time I checked they had no ads.

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
NefariousAnthony
Geek
Member # 1720

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 16:23      Profile for NefariousAnthony   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, happy hunting! I hope you turn up some solution.
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 19:07      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparantly the problem is not that the forums aren't geocities friendly, it is that geocities will not allow links to be posted to their pages [Mad] . So if you open a new browser and type in:

www.geocities.com/jenniferlemen/picofus.jpg

you should see it. But linking doesn't work. Sorry for all this trouble. [Frown]

Spidey, I will definitely check that out! Thanks.

NefariousAnthony
Geek
Member # 1720

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 19:10      Profile for NefariousAnthony   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, now I see it!

PB, you look like someone I know, But I can't think of who . . .

Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 20:35      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
check out flatface.net for hosting stuff. It might not do for anyone who doesn't understand HTML (or FTP...), but they have a nice free account (no ads, lots of space...) or you can pay $20 / yr for more space / mysql, etc.

--------------------
http://www.basseq.com

Posts: 404 | From: right behind you; in the shadows | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 21:58      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok....now I can see you...nice pic!!.....PB, I always pictured you a blond....your av reminds me of Drew Barrymore....is it?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2002 22:12      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you!

I don't think it's Drew. I have no idea who it is, you would have to ask N&S. If I made myself up with red lipstick (and had a red, plaid cap, and had a less round face) I could look a lot like it.

I was a blonde once. But it dried out my hair a lot and I got tired of all the split ends. I would actually like to go red some day.

The picture is a little old. It was taken about a year ago. My hair is a little longer (down to my shoulders now) and Josh (my sweetie) has a moustache. I'm also wearing makeup in the pic, which I almost never do in real life.

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2002 05:45      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:
you can't see it because geocities won't allow much traffic to free pages

That seems very silly to me, but I suppose they need to have some incentive for people to upgrade.
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Web Space Provider.
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2002 23:00            Edit/Delete Post 
D'oh - I did try it in a new window, but iCab was having none of it, but... I think it was caching the error page :) Works now - one more for the collection :)
IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 16, 2002 06:48      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This seems to work fairly reliably at the moment (i.e. until Geocities changes their software):

• Middle-click the geocities hyperlink. (If you don't have a middle mouse button, or OS/browser support thereof, use whatever you have to use to "open link in a new window/tab".)
  • The Geocities error page will show up in the new window/tab with the URL, unmolested, in the browser's URL bar.
  • Manually remove the www. from the URL in the URL bar and hit Enter/Return.
This has the advantage of being slightly easier than manually pasting the URL into a new window/tab, or into the URL bar.
[Edit: at least, it's easier in a Unix web browser, where editing the URL inside the URL bar doesn't take an act of god plus the patience of Mother Theresa.]

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture