homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Becky...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Becky...
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted October 12, 2002 16:19      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My dreams of owning a Volkswagen have been dashed!

Becky, my 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix SE with the 3.1L V6 POS engine, is back to her old bitchy tricks. She's named affectionately after my friend's ex-girlfriend (i.e. the annoying bitch you can't get rid of).

I had to put new rear brakes on today, what a pain in the ass, ugh! I had to put a new rotor on the drivers side brake because the pads wore at different rates, so the inner pad with the warning sensor on it didn't wear down enough to make noise before the outer pad was worn to bare metal. While I had the wheel off I noticed hydrolyc fluid all over the rear-passenger strut, so I need to replace my rear struts too, which also means I'll need an alignment job (which is about $100 or so in itself).

While I had the car jacked up in the back my dad says "what's that spot under the front end here?" Well, I'm still not 100% sure what it is, but preliminary guesses place it as antifreeze, which means I might need a new radiator. Hopefully I'll get off easy and it'll just be a hose.

Also, she's burning oil again, 1000 miles and she's down a quart and a half. The high mileage oil worked fine for one oil change, but it's back to burning again.

If my current car is giving me this many problems, not to mention my habit of expierencing dramatic grief over even the slightest automotive plight, then, no matter what my emotions tell me, logically, perhaps a Volkswagen isn't for me. I wanted one so bad too! [Frown]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Orbhead
Geek
Member # 608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2002 17:20      Profile for Orbhead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah? Get this.

June 2002. Transmission rebuilt. $2997
Sept 2002. Sway bar, brushings, tie rod. $750
October 2002. Brake pads, calipers, drums, fluid, and other bits. $670

The exhaust still needs to be worked on, $300, as well has a fuel injection flush, and a hardcore tune-up. That's another $400

As well, the shifting console needs to be replaced, another $300.

I feel your pain. Yes, I would love more than anything to buy a new car, and going by what I have spent on repairs this year alone, I can most definately afford $350 a month to finance a new car, but the bank feels otherwise.

Posts: 162 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Minsc
Assimilated
Member # 1300

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2002 14:40      Profile for Minsc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Transmission rebuilt. $2997
Sway bar, brushings, tie rod. $750
Brake pads, calipers, drums, fluid, and other bits. $670

Smashing your car into tiny bits with a 10 pound hammer: Priceless.

Posts: 419 | From: at home or work | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 8 posted October 16, 2002 23:36      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just the day before yesterday, my car rolled over 150,000 miles !! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

that's where the fun stopped.

for the last 2 weeks or so, i have had a drip/drain of the coolant
i thought the thermostat went bad so i replaced it, and everything was fine for a week
then it started the same crap again - the engine heating up far too much
so i knew i had a hole somewhere...

yesterday, i go to a job site, and when i get out and leave, there's a HUGE puddle where i was parked
oh yay.

get home and check - nope, not radiator

but i see a nice dark brown STREAM coming from under that car -

so THAT'S why the big puddle was as dark as it was...
[Mad]

got a hole in the oil pan now and it's not dripping, it's POURING out - a little less than a pencil-thin stream

i dump 2 quarts into the engine and drive to a shop and park it.

oh, and the radiator hole got bigger , it's a nice big leak now

so, got a call today about the cost

91 plymouth acclaim 4-banger is the car, btw

$155 for oil pan, $25 for gaskets and then labor
est. $235 total
$180+ for radiator - he said for a repair it, plus labor
est. $255 total

i told him to shove it........... in a corner

called a junkyard, $40 for a used oil pan, so i gotta find a way to get there and get it, i can do the work i guess for that, and i'll just have to carry a 5 gal. bucket of water with me until i can afford a new radiator

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2002 01:55      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
having had a license for 16 years, but never having owned a car, i just look at all this money and think **what a total waste of dosh!*

why why why why why??????

are there any rational answers???

or is it just to be like everyone else? i know, everyone is going to give their own reasons why they need it, why they are special, but are you being honest with yourself?

no sympathy for car drivers, no sorry.

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanoxt R'rilander
Alpha Geek
Member # 890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2002 02:13      Profile for Xanoxt R'rilander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im with you on that cheezi. Im going to get a license sometime... sooner or later. But I'll be damned if I get a car.

When you drive... you *gasp-horror-terror-omniousstrokesofthunder!* can't! *Arr-howlingofthewind-earthquakes-andotherbadthings* drink beer. :<

--------------------
quote:
"Who like KOF official license comic in high quality vegetarian is absolutely will not be miss!"
Ah, joys of Engrish...

Posts: 319 | From: Moscow, Russia, Earth | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2002 02:36      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

When you drive... you *gasp-horror-terror-omniousstrokesofthunder!* can't! *Arr-howlingofthewind-earthquakes-andotherbadthings* drink beer. :<

hey, you hit the issue right on the, hic, bottle

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2002 03:37      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanoxt R'rilander:
Im with you on that cheezi. Im going to get a license sometime... sooner or later. But I'll be damned if I get a car.

screw beer.. no vodka [Mad]
Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Minsc
Assimilated
Member # 1300

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2002 04:47      Profile for Minsc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've a '92 Nissan Sentra that is on it's way to becoming a rustbucket. Reading these posts has made me appreciate more the fact that it is still mechanically sound at 130,000 miles and the worst thing about is is that a dash light has burned out and the ceiling fabric is getting droopy.

Have been planning to trade it in, nonetheless.

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2002 05:12      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Minsc:
I've a '92 Nissan Sentra that is on it's way to becoming a rustbucket. Reading these posts has made me appreciate more the fact that it is still mechanically sound at 130,000 miles and the worst thing about is is that a dash light has burned out and the ceiling fabric is getting droopy.

I have a '88 Sentra with about 150,000 miles on it and have had few problems with it. That's the thing about Japanese cars, you can run them into the ground and they still keep going. After the early '70's, American cars are crap. My first two cars were American and after the horrible experiences with them, I decided I would never buy another one.
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Minsc
Assimilated
Member # 1300

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2002 06:06      Profile for Minsc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
quote:
Originally posted by Minsc:

I have a '88 Sentra with about 150,000 miles on it and have had few problems with it. That's the thing about Japanese cars, you can run them into the ground and they still keep going. After the early '70's, American cars are crap. My first two cars were American and after the horrible experiences with them, I decided I would never buy another one.
The last American car I will buy was a 1997 Saturn. It had gotten to where every 2 months I was spending another $300-$400 to fix something else (like spark-plug wires). Just stupid things that should never go bad in the first place! Traded it in on a Honda Civic in 2000.

Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Period. My next car will probably be a Celica. [Big Grin]

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2002 06:43      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
cheezi: we need cars in the US mostly because a huge bulk of our population is housed in places where you can't shop locally and public transportation is a joke. If I lived in Manhatten, I wouldn't need a car - you have subways and cabs all over. Alas, I live about 20 miles away. The nearest food store is about a mile away. The buses run once every 30 minutes. Cabs don't cruise, you have to call them, and they are way overpriced. It's not really feasible to live in a North American suburb without a car.

Of course, we got that way because everyone had cars, so it's sort of a catch 22. It's like heroin addiction.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2002 08:53      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
She's named affectionately after my friend's ex-girlfriend (i.e. the annoying bitch you can't get rid of).

Hmm.. interesting.. my friend has a Becky (annoying bitch ex)who's name is actually Becky, heh..

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2002 03:11      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:
... no sympathy for car drivers, no sorry.

Says Cheezi "terror in a cheese van" git. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanoxt R'rilander
Alpha Geek
Member # 890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2002 06:38      Profile for Xanoxt R'rilander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel:
screw beer.. no vodka [Mad]

Arr! Dam true brother! On other hand when I drink vodka, I drink it in obsene enough qualities not to think about cars. And then I start drinking beer, smoking my pipe, and several hours later go to bed to... well, Im not sure if it can be called sleep. Pass out probably?

*makes mental notes not to drink beer after his first L of vodka next time. He knows that doesn't work, but still*

--------------------
quote:
"Who like KOF official license comic in high quality vegetarian is absolutely will not be miss!"
Ah, joys of Engrish...

Posts: 319 | From: Moscow, Russia, Earth | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2002 06:56      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:
... no sympathy for car drivers, no sorry.

Says Cheezi "terror in a cheese van" git. [Wink]
i used to psych myself up for driving a delivery van in London rush hour traffic by shouting the following many times before starting off:

i'm a man in a white van
driving like a lunatic
get out of my way
cos i don't know how to drive

i don't know if it worked but no one ever got in my way. my look of utmost terror might have had something to do with it, but i always played the music at full volume, so at least no one could hear my screams.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture