homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » .Mac? How about .Jerk?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: .Mac? How about .Jerk?
Orbhead
Geek
Member # 608

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted September 29, 2002 18:21      Profile for Orbhead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The .Mac trial ends tomorrow, so I went into my rent money to pay for it this morning so I won't loose my eMail for a few days and end up having to pay $160 (yes I could get another one, but is such a hassle to change). I get an eMail this afternoon telling me that the .Mac trial has been extended for another two weeks. So, now I am out $80 rent money until Friday, for no reason.

Thanks for the advance notice Apple!

Yeah, my own fault for not getting it sooner, before it came to me dipping into my rent money, but it still pissed me off, and felt like whining about it.

Posts: 162 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2002 22:03      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the upside, now you've got an entire year to put off getting a new e-mail address. Oh, and a hundred megabytes of storage space. And a free puzzle game. Annoying, yes, but you've had two or three months to switch.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hikaru
Alpha Geek
Member # 1142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2002 23:55      Profile for Hikaru   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well as of today, someone else becomes [email protected], maby I'll write them, ask them how they like MY "free email address for life"

--------------------
Sister Woman, she speaks for the collective, that and scolds me for my poor typing, dont let her smile fool you.

Posts: 317 | From: AppleDale, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Orbhead
Geek
Member # 608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2002 07:55      Profile for Orbhead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lex:
Annoying, yes, but you've had two or three months to switch.

Yeah, I know. I lost my job on August 9th though, so it's been a little tricky appropriating the funds.

I just had to rant about it though.

Orbhead
Geek
Member # 608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2002 08:04      Profile for Orbhead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hikaru:
Well as of today, someone else becomes [email protected], maby I'll write them, ask them how they like MY "free email address for life"

Heh, your free eMail for life is still good for another 2 weeks, so you have some breathing room.
MBoprey
Geek
Member # 1205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2002 11:34      Profile for MBoprey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apple wanted to surprise us all who were thinking about signing up, but waited to long. I'm glad they extended it, but it is pretty stupid how they didn't let people know. .Mac is not an excellent service, especially for it's price tag.

But, I signed up. [Smile]

--------------------
Msb

Posts: 114 | From: In the crevices of my iBook | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hikaru
Alpha Geek
Member # 1142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2002 14:01      Profile for Hikaru   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orbhead:
quote:

Heh, your free eMail for life is still good for another 2 weeks, so you have some breathing room.
as far as Im concerned it was cut off 75 days ago
thanks for the knife in the back Uncle Bill, , err I mean Steve

--------------------
Sister Woman, she speaks for the collective, that and scolds me for my poor typing, dont let her smile fool you.

Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2002 15:58      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hikaru,

Never mind your choice of avatar...

Could you provide a source for your quote regarding free email address for life?

--------------------
Rednivek - Detroit, Michigan, USA

Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2002 18:16      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
thanks for the knife in the back Uncle Bill, , err I mean Steve

Ouch! That was harsh. Well desirved, very well desirved, but harsh none the less.

It does seem that every time I look at Apple they look more like Microsoft. It almost seems that the only thing that separates the two is that Apple continues to innovate and MS continues to copy.

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted September 30, 2002 21:02      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly, when mac.com email was first offered, Apple pushed it as "email for life".

I don't think they said "free for life", but gee wiz, it sure felt like it. Oh well, 'tis a different world today. [Wink]

Posts: 8181 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Orbhead
Geek
Member # 608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2002 05:08      Profile for Orbhead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For sure Snaggy. I am starting to wish I didn't get all my family members involved. They are screwed for eMail too.
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2002 11:51      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me, I've been slacking off fixing up my WHOIS entries for my domain. I was using a DNS secondary at my former employer, but I haven't been there for a year and a half. After that, I was peering with someone from IRC, but I never got that peer into the WHOIS database. But now that I have a stable job again, it was time to put my official secondary on one of the servers here at work. (When I got this job, one of the things I eventually had to do was clean up the secondaries from the previous sysadmin... so it's a bit of a tradition. [Wink] )

Anyway, within 24-48 hours, the new WHOIS entries for wooledge.org should be propagated, which should increase efficiency for all the spammers who need to contact me....

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hikaru
Alpha Geek
Member # 1142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2002 01:47      Profile for Hikaru   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it was in the Apple e newsletters a while back (8.6 days/ 9 days)

it was one of the reasons I actually bought OS9

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture