homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » The Waving Men of Manitoba

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Waving Men of Manitoba
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 01, 2002 16:24      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
from the CBC...

SCANTERBURY, MAN. - If you drive up Highway 59 northeast of Winnipeg this weekend, there's a good chance you'll see two retired men waving at you. They've been doing it for two years.

The brothers have been sitting in the ditch, saluting the cars zipping by, for up to 10 hours a day most Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays – except in the winter.

James Starr, 56, and his brother Nelson, 66, plop down in their lawn chairs and wave to every motorist they can. And in many cases the drivers and passengers return the gesture.

Why?

"To make them happy, I guess," said James.

"It really makes me happy, in here," adds Nelson, tapping on his heart.

---------------

Here's the rest of the store is here...

http://cbc.ca/stories/2002/08/31/wavingmen_020831

/me waves!

Posts: 8169 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2002 18:00      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite a while back there was a news story about some guy in a small town around here who did the same thing. When I went to Bermuda, I found that when people drove they tended to honk their horns and wave at people even if they didn't know them.
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Orbhead
Geek
Member # 608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2002 21:08      Profile for Orbhead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in highschool, I once spent a day in the hallway waving at everyone who walked past for no reason.

I got beat up.

Posts: 162 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2002 22:40      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other week I watched a girl (no, not an attractive one) give people hugs as the went up the stairs in the student union. It was a pretty busy time, so she gave a lot of hugs.

No real point to my post, except perhaps some symmetryish thing or another. I once went to the beach in a pair of jeans, my childhood bathrobe, a big mickey mouse glove hat, and some sun glasses. I pretended to be a confused foreigner who didn't speak the language. Some surfers offered to "milk my f*ing head", most likely due to the udder-like glove fingers. I didn't do it to make anyone happy. Some friends of mine were trying to drag me off to the beach for some reason, and I finally agreed on the condition that I could wear whatever I wanted.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lady_Luvalot
Mini Geek
Member # 1580

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2002 09:00      Profile for Lady_Luvalot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did that once...waving at people driving by. This particular day the highway was extremely busy. I don't know why I did it,I just felt very friendly I guess. Most of the women ignored me,only the old ladies responded. One even yelled at me to quite fucking around.(Do old, innocent looking ladies know how to swear?) most of the men waved back.Men are alot more friendlier.
Then a police car drove by...and u know what happened then!

--------------------
War is when old business men try to make money off young life...like tobacco companies and mcdonalds.

Posts: 64 | From: under your bed | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2002 15:27      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i kinda do the same thing, but usually 4 of the fingers on my hand arent sticking up [Wink]

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2002 18:36            Edit/Delete Post 
Leaving your thumb... the question is - which way is your thumb pointing in that gesture? ;-)
IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture