homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Help A Geek

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help A Geek
Wired_Apple_Geek
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1158

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted March 05, 2002 20:51      Profile for Wired_Apple_Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weird question time:

I am starting a job in NYC on monday and was supposed to moving to my new place on Friday. Things got F***ed up and now I have no place to stay for the first week of my job. I need a spot in the city where I can stay till next saterday.

I really dont want to be in a hotel. I would even be willing to fork up some cash. Would prefer a full room but doesnt need to be that way.

email me if you or someone you know can help!!!! [email protected]

------------------
Wired Apple Geek

Thinking out of the box will get you everywhere.

Posts: 35 | From: All of the place; the staff know me by first name in 3 of the W hotels | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2002 21:02      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could try a hostel. I've had decent experiences at Gershwin Hostel (212-545-8000, 7 east 27th street, $30 per night).

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wired_Apple_Geek
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1158

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2002 21:08      Profile for Wired_Apple_Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alien Investor:
You could try a hostel. I've had decent experiences at Gershwin Hostel (212-545-8000, 7 east 27th street, $30 per night).

I thought of that but hostels have always kinda bugged me I cant explain why.

------------------
Wired Apple Geek

Posts: 35 | From: All of the place; the staff know me by first name in 3 of the W hotels | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bregalad
Assimilated
Member # 1054

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 05, 2002 22:18      Profile for Bregalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about that Apple Genius you've been talking about?

Seriously, I'm on the opposite coast and have never been to New Yawk. Sorry dude.

Posts: 484 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wired_Apple_Geek
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1158

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted March 05, 2002 22:21      Profile for Wired_Apple_Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bregalad:
What about that Apple Genius you've been talking about?

Seriously, I'm on the opposite coast and have never been to New Yawk. Sorry dude.

Her roommates cool with me staying a few nights but not the whole time. They just moved into a new apartment this weekend. So they are still getting settled do want to intrude. Wish I could do that but wont work.

------------------
Wired Apple Geek

ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 12 posted March 06, 2002 16:29      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how about a rental van, it's not exactly luxury, but it is mobile.........Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 12 posted March 06, 2002 16:30      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
or even self storage, those little mini storage places are only about $50 per month here, that beats rent hands down.........Z
macadddikt18
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1082

Icon 4 posted March 06, 2002 20:24      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
hostels have always kinda bugged me I cant explain why

That is because they are bugged. The government is watching your every move in them.
Nayt

------------------
Through out your life you will wonder who THEY are. Then you find out who THEY really are. From then on you live you life in fear of THEM and you wish you never knew who THEY were.

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 6 posted March 07, 2002 17:25      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the cameras inside them are available online, I watch them all the time >;o) ........Z
FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2002 10:29      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I duno find a dumpster move it a couple of blocks away and put up a tent over the top. This would keep you dry and if you can get ahold of a good sleeping bag will be fairly warm as well. Usualy the bums will share a fire barel with you if you need it they also know where to get free food every day.
Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wired_Apple_Geek
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1158

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted March 12, 2002 10:50      Profile for Wired_Apple_Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FatGnome:
I duno find a dumpster move it a couple of blocks away and put up a tent over the top. This would keep you dry and if you can get ahold of a good sleeping bag will be fairly warm as well. Usualy the bums will share a fire barel with you if you need it they also know where to get free food every day.

Then i can paint an apple logo on the side and ill be the first homeless bum with 2 Tbook and a ibook in my dumpster

Super Flippy

SuperFan!
Member # 1101

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 13, 2002 12:10      Profile for Super Flippy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just stay at work? They've got a bathroom, probably a kitchenette and vending machine somewhere in the building, plus an internet connection. What more do you need? Just curl up under your desk to sleep. Either a) someone there takes pity on you and offers you a place to stay or b) your new manager commends you for working such long hours right off the bat. Sounds like a win-win situation to me.
Posts: 337 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2002 19:51      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this belongs over in the "embarrassing true confessions" department ...

The tough part about cubicle camping is getting up very early in the morning (like 6:30 am to 7:00 am). If your office has a few people who work late at night, plus a few other people who come in at 7:30 am, then it's tough to carve out enough time to be rested the next morning.

It works pretty good on Friday night and Saturday night, though.

You also have to make sure that you have every thing you need. I ran out of dental floss once, until I remembered the emergency supply that I carry in my wallet.

Did I mention that cubicle camping is gonna draw a lot of weird looks from the people around you? Although you can probably get away with it in NYC. Nothing phases a New Yorker.

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2002 11:19      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
faze
v : disturb the composure of [syn: {unnerve}, {enervate}, {unsettle}]

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TechnoGram
Alpha Geek
Member # 1097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2002 21:53      Profile for TechnoGram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bregalad:
Seriously, I'm on the opposite coast and have never been to New Yawk.

well, i was born and raised in nyc, and it's pronounced noo yawk.

it's a whole different language... you know, like fuhgeddaboudit.

------------------

Free Speech Is The Right To Shout 'Theater' In A Crowded Fire.

Posts: 250 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
MBoprey
Geek
Member # 1205

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 19, 2002 06:20      Profile for MBoprey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need a place to sleep everynight. Not really... :-/

------------------
Msb

Posts: 114 | From: In the crevices of my iBook | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2002 21:57      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, darn, Greycat, there goes my gold star for spelling. And I do know how to spell "faze".

Wired_Apple_Geek, where did you end up sleeping?

macadddikt18
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2002 05:36      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Techogram, i just now saw your new sig. I like it, it is pretty funny. I love collecting them. I have to say that i have never seen that one before. It is always fun seeing new ones.
Nayt

------------------
c:/dos
c:/dos/run
run/dos/run

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wired_Apple_Geek
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1158

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 20, 2002 05:39      Profile for Wired_Apple_Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a hotel, W Time Square big shock there.

------------------
Wired Apple Geek

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture