homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Emissions Testing...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Emissions Testing...
Orbhead
Geek
Member # 608

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted January 31, 2002 23:07      Profile for Orbhead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I passed my emissions test! Yaya!

After spending the past few months procrastinating and worrying about failing... I ended up passing just fine. Go figure! In many parts of Ontario, you need to pass the Drive Clean Emissions Testing before you can get your license plate stickers renewed.

So that's my big news.

Does/did anyone else have to go through this?

Posts: 162 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2002 02:23      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obligatory emissions testing in Switzerland since 1990.
Every two years called in to check, at least it can be done at my garage.

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2002 05:24      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The state of Ohio also has such a test -- it's called "Ohio E-Check". The test has to be performed on every sufficiently new vehicle every 2 years at the time of license plate renewal. It costs $19.50 (USD), pass or fail.

For some reason, really old cars are not required to take this test, even though THOSE ARE THE ONES THAT POLLUTE! It makes no sense. Perhaps some legislator has a bunch of old cars. (Obviously they would all fail.)

Oh, and diesel vehicles are immune, too. But you still have to take the diesel vehicle somewhere so someone can sign a form saying "yup, that's a diesel". (I don't own a diesel vehicle, but my dad used to. So I don't know if it's a one-time thing, or every E-Check.)

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
macadddikt18
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2002 05:34      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like ohio's e-check is kinda messed up. I think all cars arcoss the country should have a standerd emission test. Maybe base it off Califorina or Canada's. Those two are fairly strict.
Nayt

------------------
Through out your life you will wonder who THEY are. Then you find out who THEY really are. From then on you live you life in fear of THEM and you wish you never knew who THEY were.

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
platypus
Alpha Geek
Member # 991

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2002 07:23      Profile for platypus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually, the old car being excused is fairly common across the country.

there's a hell of a lot more to politics than "the old car pollutes more" folks. And since it was a law, it took a political proscess. Just think of how many people would be pissed if they couldn't drive it any more? Many people would even consider it a serious violation of rights. ex: "You mean I have to buy a new car just because some environmentalist doesn't like my current one?!"

------------------
pages:
www.thelemur.net
www.saintehlers.com
www.squishbox.org

Posts: 302 | From: Provo, UT | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Orbhead
Geek
Member # 608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2002 07:25      Profile for Orbhead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, here in Ontario, cars older than 20 years are exempt. So are cars that are less than 3 years old. Diesel's aren't though. It is required here every two years now though. I don't know if that is strict compared to California or not. Ohio does seem a little lax on it. And the Swiss rock. On the ball for 12 years now. Impressive!
Posts: 162 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bregalad
Assimilated
Member # 1054

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2002 09:28      Profile for Bregalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In BC there is a program called AirCare (www.aircare.ca) that has been running for 7 years in Greater Vancouver and the Lower Fraser Valley. The idea is to clean up the largest urban area with a minimum cost. Currently 12 testing centres are able to test nearly half the population of BC. Yes, most of us are packed into the SW corner of the province.

Passenger vehicles and light trucks, model year 2000 and older are currently tested. Those with restricted licences like Vintage or Collector are exempt as are motorcycles and anything over 5000kg. It costs $24 per year for the testing.

There is a mobile roadside testing unit that goes after commercial vehicles, but its random nature assures that most trucks are never tested.

Posts: 484 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
macadddikt18
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2002 10:15      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the enviroment should be kept clean. I don't want to live in some poluted city with a high population density. make them buy new cars, walk, ride, whatever. or we coudl just make them pay large fines. But in the end i think it iwll be worth it. But politics will not let that happen. This is why i am not a politation.
Nayt

------------------
Through out your life you will wonder who THEY are. Then you find out who THEY really are. From then on you live you life in fear of THEM and you wish you never knew who THEY were.

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2002 10:29      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My sister used to live in california and she brought her pickup truck from michigan.

In california, you have to have "California Emmession Control Systems" installed on your car. It's like an extra catalitic converter or something along those lines. It is quite expensive to have installed, and it reduces gas mileage quite a bit. If you don't want to go through the trouble, you can buy a wavier for about $300 every year. OH, yeah, and you have to have your car "smogged" every year before you can get your license plate tags, I think that costs $50 or something.

I may be slightly incorrect on the details, but that is mainly how CA does their pollution control stuff.

------------------
KK (a.k.a. The MacMan)
Proud to be Microsoft Free!
"If it doesn't say 'Microsoft' it must be better!"
The Man's Prayer -- "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 10 posted February 01, 2002 15:09      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both of My cars are way too old for testing, I am exempt. HAHAHAHA ......Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
EngrBohn
Uber Geek
Member # 476

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2002 17:27      Profile for EngrBohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple years ago, the DoD established a new requirement -- if we are stationed on a base that is located in an emissions-checking area, then we have to have our cars emissions-checked to the local standards, even if our cars are licensed in another state (e.g., I'm stationed in Ohio, but my car's registered in Missouri for tax reasons). The rule even applies if we live in a region that doesn't require emissions checking but work in a region that does (this came up because in Ohio, the E-Check requirement is only required in some counties).

Now, I have a theory about this new requirement, and in particular its timing. A couple years ago, California announced a new requirement that all cars driving on California roads had to meet California emissions standards, even if they're registered in another state. I'd wager a shiny penny that DoD implemented its rule to avoid a show-down with California since the standing arrangement is to not let the states impose undue penalties on military personnel when we are reassigned to new locations (e.g., while my wife has to get a new Driver's License when we move, I don't until my old one expires, and we don't need to retitle our cars when we move). By making it a DoD requirement that we satisfy local emissions standards, it's no longer the case that the state is imposing its emissions standards on us.

But that's just my theory, and I have no proof.

------------------
cb
Oooh! What does this button do!?

Posts: 987 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2002 19:45            Edit/Delete Post 
What would rice emit, exactly?

Steam?

IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2002 01:40      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:
For some reason, really old cars are not required to take this test, even though THOSE ARE THE ONES THAT POLLUTE! It makes no sense. Perhaps some legislator has a bunch of old cars. (Obviously they would all fail.)

Actually excusing old cars does make sense.
1) An old car (over 15 or 20 years) that is a primary source of transportation most likely will not be for much longer. Cars that age usually begin to require repairs that cost more than the car is worth.

2) People that drive old cars on a regular basis are probably doing so because they can't *afford* a new one. If that is someone's primary transportation and they cannot afford to buy a new car to drive to work every day, you have just unemployed those people. Even if they could get a loan to buy a new car, insurance costs far more on a new car. Particularly if you are required to have full coverage. In some areas public transportation may be an option. Major cities for instance. But a lot of places *don't* have a good public transportation system.

3) A car over that age in good shape is most likely someones pet project, has been restored, etc. Those cars are driven infrequently.

If all new cars are required to meet certain emissions standards gradually the old cars that do not meet those standards will all but disappear.

------------------
reality.sys corrupted. universe halted. reboot (y/n)?

Posts: 1150 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janeway
Assimilated
Member # 78

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2002 12:43      Profile for Janeway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know in Mississippi (anyone from Miss. that knows different, correct me if I'm wrong) we don't have to have emissions tests. I've even heard of people who, if their catalyctic (sp?) converter plays out, they replace it with a metal tube, or not at all. They're not _supposed_ to, but I've heard of people doing it. It's also common around here to take the muffler off a pickup so that it sounds like a tank when you drive by. It seems to be a status symbol among the rednecks.
Posts: 468 | From: Cyberspace, Delta Quadrant | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2002 13:35      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janeway, it isn't just Mississippi. When I bought my car, the catalytic converter had been removed. (Yes, I had it replaced.) There are also a lot of pickups with no mufflers.

I don't know if New York has emissions testing, I've never had to take one. Though if it is something done at garages the same way inspection is, you can probably buy a pass the same way you can buy an inspection sticker.

------------------
reality.sys corrupted. universe halted. reboot (y/n)?

Posts: 1150 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture