homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » What do geeks drive (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: What do geeks drive
homesalad
Geek
Member # 938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2001 19:55      Profile for homesalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1992 Subaru Legacy Wagon. Nuff Said.
Posts: 220 | From: On The Road... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
DivaGeek
Geek
Member # 901

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2001 21:22      Profile for DivaGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by bizzybody:
Contaminate my Hudson with a Chevy or Ford engine?!? No way! Hudson won more NASCAR races from 1948 through 1954 than any other make of car. Their handling is a match for any modern car. There is a guy in the Pac. Northwest who was running a Hudson on the local tracks until just last year. The racing organization finally decided to ban all cars over about 20 years old because they "weren't safe". The real reason was because almost nobody could beat him!

Hey, I was just suggesting that something more modern would make for a reliable car, where parts were cheap and easy to find!

You probably know a lot more than I anyway!

Posts: 142 | From: The city by that great big dead lake | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2001 19:40      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A computer
Posts: 904 | From: A Calculus book near you... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2001 22:44      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
::sigh:: I always get nostaligic about my car (and mostly, my prevous car).

I've had 2 cars in my 19 years of existance, but the first one, I loved (I often wonder why I sold it).

I usually refered to it as simply "The Olds," but my brother gave it the much cooler name of "The Jam Mobile". Yes, it was an Oldsmobile, 1988 Cutlass Ceria, 3.8L V6, 26 MPG max! Oh that baby was great, could bury the needle in that thing without having my foot even halfway to the floor, must've gotten' her up to 110 or more. Comfortable interior too, the Broughm edition. Yeah, she has her quirks, A/C doesn't work, windows take 15 seconds to get all the way down, leaked a quart in between changes, but never failed to start (OK, except when I had that air sensor go bad and it flooded out all the time, but $18 and 5 minutes later it was fixed). I sold her for a younger, newer, car with better suspension, A/C, cruise that worked, faster windows, and less rust. Yup, she had 216,000 on her when I sold her, unfortunately, the guy I sold it to is an idiot. He's blown her radiator and threw a rod on her, he's still fixing her up, though.

Anyway, I "traded-up" to a 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix. OK car, but it just doesn't have the zing that the Olds did. She's got a 3.1L V6 and a bigger body then the olds.

Smaller engine + Bigger Body = slower car!

Big bummer for me, the Prix tops out at 90, maybe 95 downhill. Shure she has A/C and cruise, but now the driver's window won't roll down (needs a new motor) and she burns through 4 qts. of 10W30 in 3000 miles! (luckally only 2 qts. of 15W40, though!) I guess she's the "Jam Mobile II," as I don't have a better name for her yet and she DOES have the honorary "There's no place like Jam, MI" sticker on her (along with my multi-colored Apple logo!). I figured it was a good investment since she had 100,000 less miles on it then the olds had when I sold it (216,000 vs. 122000), but I almost feel, now, that I'll be suprized if the Prix makes it to 200K. (she's at 144K now.)

OK, I've talked enough. G'night!

------------------
KK (a.k.a. The MacMan)
Proud to be Microsoft Free!
"If it doesn't say 'Microsoft' it must be better!"
The Man's Prayer -- "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
redneckgeek
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2001 19:24            Edit/Delete Post 
In order of usage:
'91 Subaru Legacy 5 speed front wheel drive station wagon
'83 Kubota 7100D 6 speed 4 wheel drive tractor,
'01 GT Avalanche 1.0 21 speed rear wheel drive mountain bike
'01 Honda non-quantized speed rear wheel drive lawnmower
'86 Ford Ranger 5 speed 4 wheel drive truck

IP: Logged
thedeacon
Geek Apprentice
Member # 121

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2001 23:09      Profile for thedeacon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geeks take the bus :-)
Posts: 44 | From: Akron, OH | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tau Zero
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 195

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2001 09:38      Profile for Tau Zero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This geek don't take no bus.

Right now I'm trading my time between a 220-HP 4-door with a 4-speed auto overdrive and 4-wheel disc brakes, and a little 4-door 5-speed stick with maybe 110 HP.  I've parked the little car today because it's a bit low on brake fluid and I'm having trouble finding the recommended stuff, but it is more fun to drive than the faster car while burning about 30% less fuel.  I'm all for sticking it to OPEC and buying less of their product is the way to do it.

miliani
Geek Apprentice
Member # 999

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2001 15:30      Profile for miliani   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
for now, a 1998 audi a4 1.8t quattro... i was originally supposed to get a present from my parents because they ended up NOT paying for my college edumication... but they ended up not buying me much because they couldn't afford it. it's all good... i love 'em still.. but i couldn't resist buying myself a present for my hard work.... ^^;

she was perfect for enjoying the colorado rockies and classy post-snowboarding partying (or at least attempting to party, if we didn't fall asleep first) in denver.. and she's still a charm. =)

Posts: 45 | From: atlanta, ga, usa | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Destin
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 04, 2001 01:43            Edit/Delete Post 
What do geeks drive? Well... what do you get when you cross a Nissan Pathfinder with a Macintosh PowerBook?....

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/destin/home.html

IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2001 07:01      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes necessity dictates the vehicle you drive.

I make an '87 Chevy Blazer roam the streets under my control...it has 4-wheel drive if I need it (kind of a waste since I have never actually used it, but if I need it, it's there) but it's big enough to haul the groceries and my wheelchair, so I'll weather the glares of the anti-SUV crowd and just keep on truckin'.

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted December 04, 2001 10:55      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no great love for SUVs myself, but I always figure somebody driving a truck that predates the SUV craze is doing it for reason other than keeping up with the Joneses.

For the rest of y'all with post-SUV-craze trucks, get some dirt on the sides and mud caked in the wheelwells and you'll stay in my good graces: "Now there's someone who uses 4WD!"

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
grantlyj
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 1024

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted December 12, 2001 15:51      Profile for grantlyj   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well really ugly geeks would drive a porsche, because they need a fast expensive car to empress women, a typical geek would buy an Alfa Romao, but the quinticential dork (me) would drive a boxy mid 90s BMW. It's safe, powerful, fun to drive, classic, and a beautiful unmistakeable vrooom! Yes, as you guessed it I am a big fan of Beamers but the best for good price and to go with my hornrimmed glasses is a BMW 525i or the fast 540i. If you want space look into the BMW 740i or iL. But if you want a fun in the sun safe car try the 328i convertible! Look into these cars on the internet whe you have a sec, hope you enjoyed my advice!

Posts: 2 | From: Portland | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
dosh8er
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 1034

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2001 05:27      Profile for dosh8er     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I drive an '89 Honda Accord SE-i 5Spd. w/ 180k miles. I Got in an accident past friday, and it needs repairs, but it runs good. (it wasn't my fault either.) Very nice cars, those honda's. Wouldn't trade it for the world... well... i take that back...
In fact, In fact I talk over at:... http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=1014 occasionally.

Posts: 1 | From: Halfway past the middle of nowhere | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dahak
Mini Geek
Member # 957

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted December 19, 2001 17:44      Profile for Dahak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I drive a silver 2001 Ford Focus that I just got in October to replace my 1997 taupe (no, I don't know what I was thinking) Ford Contour. Sweet little car.

------------------
--
"A child of five could understand this! Therefore, fetch me a child of five!"

Posts: 53 | From: Royersford, PA, United States | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 6 posted December 19, 2001 18:42      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be driving a new Land Rover Freelander in the near future. It all depends on how well I can manage the budget in these tough times >;o) .......Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aiyana
Mini Geek
Member # 1067

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted January 13, 2002 17:15      Profile for Aiyana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I drive a blue 2001 Ford Focus ZX3. And not just any blue...Malibu Blue. Oh yes. I've heard it's become quite the difficult color to find. 5-speed, moonroof, chrome exhaust tip, and a kick-booty sound system. More zoom than you can shake a large, pointy stick at. I love my Focus.
Oh, and his name is Frodo. Frodo the Focus. Tell me *that's* not geeky.

Posts: 79 | From: Columbus, OH USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Akira
Geek
Member # 954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2002 19:34      Profile for Akira   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I lived in downtown Portland, OR -- nothing. Saved approx $300/month by not having a car payment or insurance, to say nothing of annual registration and the headache/expense of parking the thing.

Moving to South San Francisco (an outlying suburb about 20 mins from the city) made a vechicle sadly necessary. I wound up with a 1999 (model year at the time) Mitsubish Mirage DE and, apart from the trunk latch breaking, have been very happy with it.

------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg.
Prepare to have your ass laminated.

Posts: 223 | From: LA LA land | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted January 14, 2002 05:02      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well until saturday I drove a 1987 Honda Accord Lx 5spd that averaged 35 mpg even when pushing 185k miles. I love it to death, and it still runs well, but commuting on the merritt parkway will probably kill it in the next 6 months, so I sold it to a friend for about the same amount I spent replacing the water pump and the axle in the last few months and bought a 1998 saab SE turbo convertible 5spd (of course :-)) dark green, tan interior, black top. I still think the honda is the easiest to drive manual transmission ever, but I'm still getting used to the saab :-) if they only made accord convertibles......
Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2002 09:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I am loving my 2002 Toyota Corolla. It's a great, relatively powerful (125 HP), little car. I'm currently pushing 2,000 miles on it, and it's serving me well.

On another note, it is interesting to see another dragon in the nearby area.

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacintoshGeek
Geek
Member # 960

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2002 00:17      Profile for MacintoshGeek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I drive a 1997 Taurus SHO outfitted with a Magellan 750NAV GPS system hehe

Steve

Posts: 130 | From: Beaverton, OR | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
kguru
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 1072

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted January 17, 2002 01:00      Profile for kguru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dodge van use to own a saturn I ran that thing into the ground. 200,000 mi
Posts: 1 | From: chicago, Il. USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpacemanSpiff22
Mini Geek
Member # 1078

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2002 17:25      Profile for SpacemanSpiff22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I drive a white 1989 Honda Civic hatchback. We just got it last week, and i'm very happy with it so far. Now I'm gonna look into what the best way to hook up my iPod to the stereo is.
Posts: 85 | From: Geek-o-sphere 42 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture