homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » What do geeks drive (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: What do geeks drive
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted September 12, 2001 07:08      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is a Yahama Virago 535 Custom, but it is now five years old so I am starting to look into getting a new 'bike.

A Triumph T-Bird 750 would go down well or maybe I will go the whole HOG and get a Dyna Low-Rider.

Car! Oh, four wheels, hmm them, pfff . All right, I own up to having a '92 Subaru Justy 4WD to carry my skis during the ski season. I have only just got it back from the garage after 6 months it took to get it reparied after a crash I had back in March.

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted September 12, 2001 11:29      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary:

Car! Oh, four wheels, hmm them, pfff . All right, I own up to having a '92 Subaru Justy 4WD to carry my skis during the ski season.

Oh. My. God. I used to own one of those, and it could barely go up speed bumps on dry pavement, let alone Alps on ice. Any of your prospective motorcycles have larger engines. And you take it skiing????!??!? To quote Princess Leia in Star Wars (upon seeing the Millenium Falcon for the first time), "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

Um, anyway, the current zorgo-mobile is a Trek mountain bike, but the zorgo-family vehicle is a Honda 2001 Odyssey, named of course Discovery and the theme music is (natch) "Also Sprach Zarathustra." Or the "Blue Danube."

------------------
cogito ergo something.

Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
MaGeek
Newbie Larva
Member # 870

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2001 20:54      Profile for MaGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I kinda get the feeling that I'm OLD compared to the other geeks at this site. My current mode of transportation is a '95 Dodge Grand Caravan. Gotta have room for the husband and our "offspring". I hope to graduate to a snazzy SUV later on when I win the lottery or my husband gets that second job I've been bugging him about. Hee, hee.......

MaGeek

Posts: 6 | From: Um.....over there a ways. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
durandal
Newbie Larva
Member # 899

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted September 16, 2001 03:24      Profile for durandal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mostly bike to work, insurance costs so much, but my laptop is so heavy . . . ;-)
However, I'll soon be inheriting my dad's '90 Volvo - how's that for a geekmobile?

Posts: 6 | From: Tau Ceti | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
LostInColorado

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 862

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2001 15:14      Profile for LostInColorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I STILL miss my Jetta... Hopefully, it will be out of the shop by the end of the week...

In the mean time, the rental bill for the POS is ramping up...

Sigh...

------------------
LostInColorado

To the optimist, the glass is halfway full.
To the pessimist, the glass is halfway empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Posts: 117 | From: Thornton, CO, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Orbhead
Geek
Member # 608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2001 14:30      Profile for Orbhead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right now, a '91 Mazda 323 ProtegŽ SE Sedan that just rolled over to 189,000kms. Ideally, I would be driving a 2001 VW Golf GLS, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Posts: 162 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
trowelblister
Geek
Member # 897

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2001 07:10      Profile for trowelblister   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you my wife, and half of doylestown,,,

at least the half that doesn't have a black jetta,,,,,

quote:
Originally posted by CyberGoddess:
I drive a 1999 Saturn SC2...

http://www.cybergoddess.net/envy

(out of date and probably will be for a while since I'm going back to school)

Posts: 242 | From: lansdale, pa, usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
trowelblister
Geek
Member # 897

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2001 07:26      Profile for trowelblister   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I take that back. I looked at the picture of your car and my wife has the frumpier four-door version with vegan and powerpuff girl stickers,,,,,

quote:
Originally posted by trowelblister:
Yeah, you my wife, and half of doylestown,,,

at least the half that doesn't have a black jetta,,,,,

Posts: 242 | From: lansdale, pa, usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
DivaGeek
Geek
Member # 901

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2001 13:04      Profile for DivaGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right now I am driving a 89 Ford Probe.

As a geek I really like the name. (You know Probe to another galaxy)

As a woman it makes me a little uncomfortable.

I have always owned fast cars, but of late I have gotten into Autocrossing Not only do you get to go fast, you get to do it around corners!

------------------
I see dumb people...they're everywhere...they walk around like everyone
else...they don't even know that they're dumb.

Posts: 142 | From: The city by that great big dead lake | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
jrpollar
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2001 09:10            Edit/Delete Post 
Fuuny you should ask that. Vehicles are my other hobby. Here's a picture of my baby:

Check it out

Jeff

IP: Logged
annie
Assimilated
Member # 909

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted September 28, 2001 10:10      Profile for annie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't drive (yet), but I like convertibles. Does that count?

------------------
the world will have to end someday; hopefully not while i'm around.

Posts: 391 | From: somewhere in Canada | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
LostInColorado

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 862

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2001 19:54      Profile for LostInColorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I FINALLY got my Jetta back from the shop! I guess that the best way to describe the repairs is that they are almost there I guess I'll have to go to another shop to see if they can get it right...

Sigh!

------------------
LostInColorado

To the optimist, the glass is halfway full.
To the pessimist, the glass is halfway empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Posts: 117 | From: Thornton, CO, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
DivaGeek
Geek
Member # 901

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted September 29, 2001 00:11      Profile for DivaGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow JProllar!

I love your truck! I think you would have liked my last car ... it was pretty cool, and was lowered too...

Let's see if I can get a pic up of it...

Lowered a little, and given the engine from a 90 Supra, it was a fun car..

------------------

Posts: 142 | From: The city by that great big dead lake | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2001 00:35      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am selling my 1998 VW Golf with the sliding sunroof and the 6 CD changer because I now live within walking distance of where I work, and even if I didn't want to walk, my employer provides free transportation. So there's not much sense in keeping $$$ tied up in a vehicle that rarely gets used.

But I do need *some* transporation to get to Safeway, Wal-Mart, and Nordstrom's, so I kept my other vehicle -- a 1987 Toyota LE van with 193,000 miles on it. Not exactly stylish, but it gets the job done (and it's enjoyable watching the guy in the service station look for the engine -- it's under the driver's seat!).

What I wish I had is an electric or hybrid electric car. I have a "thing" for hybrids -- I did my thesis in college on them.

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 02, 2001 12:00      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DivaGeek:
I have always owned fast cars, but of late I have gotten into Autocrossing Not only do you get to go fast, you get to do it around corners!

Aw, yeah!

I usually describe autocrossing as the most fun you can have in a car that doesn't have a back seat. On your first run, did you get an adrenaline rush so strong your hands shook? I used to have trouble unfastening the helmet straps after runs.

That, and one of the other guys in the class and I used to get times within a couple tenths of a second of each other. Talk about a real nail-biter!

-supa, driving it like he stole it.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
DivaGeek
Geek
Member # 901

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted October 02, 2001 12:14      Profile for DivaGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by supaboy:
Aw, yeah!

I usually describe autocrossing as the most fun you can have in a car that doesn't have a back seat. On your first run, did you get an adrenaline rush so strong your hands shook? I used to have trouble unfastening the helmet straps after runs.

My first time autocrossing I was scared at the starting line, but once the flag waved and my left foot slipped off the brake (I was powerbraking) and the car launched, it was all business. I don't think I breathed for 83 seconds! (LOL) The next two runs were off course (I kept missing this one gate!) But the last run was 78 seconds. (Long course)

I have only been able to compete in 2 other events. Now that I sold the Cressida, I have an old Probe... It has some problems that prevent me from wanting to race it, but I'll be back next year.

Yes, I love it.

------------------

bizzybody
Geek Apprentice
Member # 923

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted October 05, 2001 00:03      Profile for bizzybody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My current vehicle that actually runs is a "micro-pimpmobile" 1986 Cadillac Cimmaron V6. White with red leather interior.

I also happen to own a 1951 Hudson Commodore Hollywood Hardtop Coupe. Yes, that's the full name of the rig. It needs a restoration job, in which it will hopefully get its original 262 cubic inch flathead straight six stroked up, fuel injected and whatever else www.cliffordperformance.com has for it. It also has a Hydramatic transmission, the really heavy cast iron one.

My thirdmobile is a 1977 Mustang II coupe with a 351 Windsor engine and C-4 transmission. It's a pretty badass ride, got real go-power. Unfortunately it's on hiatus pending a money infusion for a redo since the engine decided to develop oil leaks everywhere a small block Ford V8 can leak oil. Should I accumulate a Cubic Yard Of Cash, the Mustang is going to get a high tech all wheel drive setup and (really dreaming here) some sort of computer controlled valve system that I've been thinking on in what passes for my brain for a few years.

Fortunately my business seems to be on its way to taking off to the point where I'll be able to axe the ISP helpdesk job. (Course by then, if I'm lucky, I'll find some nice geek grrl to settle down with and spawn a couple of child processes.)

Posts: 44 | From: Idaho, USA. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
DivaGeek
Geek
Member # 901

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2001 08:44      Profile for DivaGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by bizzybody:

I also happen to own a 1951 Hudson Commodore Hollywood Hardtop Coupe. Yes, that's the full name of the rig. It needs a restoration job, in which it will hopefully get its original 262 cubic inch flathead straight six stroked up, fuel injected and whatever else www.cliffordperformance.com has for it. It also has a Hydramatic transmission, the really heavy cast iron one.

Wouldn't it just be easier to go with a Chevy 250 straight six? I think it would be easier to find a fuel injection system? You could find a 3 or 4 speed to go with it. Also that combo would be lighter, more fuel efficent and powerful. (Resulting in a faster car)

OR if you really want a lot of torque, you could go with a monster six, like the Ford 300 cu in six. There's lots of aftermarket stuff for that, and it makes its power fairly low in the powerband. You would probably need that to heave such a heavy car off the line...

Just my 2 cents.

Oh and I highly reccomend changing the front suspension to something more modern. Camaro? Mustang II?

My dad was a hotrodder from way back. He built this really cool 54 Chevy with a Chevy 250 six and a 4 speed. He used a Camaro front end on it to make the steering better and so it had front disc brakes. I really loved that car the best of them all... (and he had a lot of them)

ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted October 05, 2001 14:57      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I currently have two vehicles. My daily driver is a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda. It has 250,000 miles on the original 318. I will be swapping for a 360 in the near future. My other ride is a 1966 Chevrolet C-10 stepside. It recently had a 350 placed between the fenders and is awaiting an EFI upgrade...........Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
+Andrew
Alpha Geek
Member # 873

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2001 09:02      Profile for +Andrew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the moment - nothing, since I'm currently license-challenged. I do hope to start the process of remedying that next week by obtaining my permit, though.

Once I can legally go out on the roads, I'll have a '88 Ford F150 to drive. It's not the most reliable thing around (right now it's just sitting in the yard because one of the rear brake lines sprang a leak while I was practicing on our driveway last weekend) but it's a free hand-me-down from the parents and I don't have the cash to pass that up. Besides, prefer riding up high in a truck, rather than down low in a little car. Guy thing, I guess.

Posts: 349 | From: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raptorgirl
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2001 20:22            Edit/Delete Post 
I drive a red 1995 Dodge Neon. When I got her back in 1999, I thought she was the coolest car on the planet. And then things went horribly awry...

In a strange twist of fate, my car's personality matches mine. She's a temperamental little bitch who wears herself out very quickly.

She has cool bumper stickers, though. There's a "Being John Malkovich" sticker on the rear window that features the little head logo. And I recently added an "Emily" sticker (www.emilystrange.com) that features Emily wearing "Clockwork Orange"-type makeup.

IP: Logged
ayjaycee
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 854

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted October 09, 2001 09:45      Profile for ayjaycee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine's a 1983 Land Rover Series III LWB 2.25 Diesel.

http://www.tanda.f2s.com/images/lr/xanadu2t.jpg

She's called Xanadu & has been 'tweaked' & upgraded more than my 'puter :-)

http://www.tanda.f2s.com/images/lr/xanadu1t.jpg

See www.tanda.f2s.com/landrover.shtml for more details on where my money goes :-(

Posts: 2 | From: Wales | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2001 18:08      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1996 Honda Civic LX blue exterior gray interior, automatic transmission, and usually needs washing.

------------------
CrawGator

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. Douglas Adams Mostly Harmless

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
bizzybody
Geek Apprentice
Member # 923

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted October 09, 2001 18:30      Profile for bizzybody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contaminate my Hudson with a Chevy or Ford engine?!? No way! Hudson won more NASCAR races from 1948 through 1954 than any other make of car. Their handling is a match for any modern car. There is a guy in the Pac. Northwest who was running a Hudson on the local tracks until just last year. The racing organization finally decided to ban all cars over about 20 years old because they "weren't safe". The real reason was because almost nobody could beat him!
Posts: 44 | From: Idaho, USA. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
geekdivachica
Mini Geek
Member # 939

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2001 18:16      Profile for geekdivachica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you drive?[/B][/QUOTE]

A drive a thing that requires you to pay $.70 to get on and then when you want it to stop you must pull a cord....hehehe. (If there are price differences then I am talking about Public Transportation) (or where I live VTA (Valley Transportation Authority) I got my permit today (3rd times a charm hehe) and so I must wait .5 years until I am able to get my lisence...hehe

Posts: 90 | From: San Jose, Ca, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture