homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » What do geeks drive (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: What do geeks drive
bull3t
Assimilated
Member # 852

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2001 15:08      Profile for bull3t     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i noticed something cool a few weeks ago.. the only geek that i know of in my area besides myself, has "tux et veritas" and redhat stickers on his bumper..

------------------
<? echo "bull3t 0wnz j00"; ?>

Posts: 435 | From: Ogden, UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
plastic
Geek
Member # 763

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted September 02, 2001 04:40      Profile for plastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Max Heck:

Wanna buy a '69 Fleetwood 75 limo? Long, low, black as midnight, looks and sounds evil, and it's **completely** impractical when I have to park downtown. Wonderful highway car, though.

Max

Ahh man, you have no idea how much I wish I could, I so badly want an old Caddy limo. If I had the money and the time there is a real ugly one in need of some loving here in town, but alas, I'll just have to dream for now.

btw, thanks for your condolences.

Posts: 180 | From: Land of Lincoln | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sleazy_D
Mini Geek
Member # 640

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted September 02, 2001 08:10      Profile for Sleazy_D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'95 Audi A6, 5-speed sans quattro. Which currently has a bad timing chain. Must fix...

Nothing like a family sedan with a large engine, and big comfy seats.

------------------
Sleazy D -- Caring, by sharing too much!

Posts: 52 | From: Whistah, MA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2001 14:19      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a '91 Honda Accord LX (via parents) but totalled it in Boulder.
Now that I'm back at school I cruise around on a ten-speed Schwinn Traveler that I bought off a grad student last summer. It's a very old-school roadie. I love it.

------------------
Take by surprise and the world gives up resistance.
- Tennesee Williams

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
pawn
Assimilated
Member # 173

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted September 02, 2001 19:36      Profile for pawn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I drive a '93 Ford Ranger, 5-speed. Nice little truck, good gas mileage. I did have a good stereo until about 4 hours ago. It was stolen while I was finishing up my last day at work. And to think I was going to call in sick today, and spend the day checking out the University before classes start. Oh well.

I guess I have to put this behind me though. I don't want any negative thoughts ruining my first week at school. I am going to have a blast, and nothing is going to stop me. so nyyyaaaa

Oh and BTW, Thieves suck!!!

------------------
I'm not a pessimist, I'm just an optimist with a bad attitude

Posts: 413 | From: somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 11 posted September 02, 2001 19:48      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
re: my post up there ^^

quote:
Originally posted by pawn:
...I did have a good stereo until about 4 hours ago. It was stolen while I was finishing up my last day at work. ...

which is why i started in competition audio.
after the SECOND *attempt* to take the factory radio

1st time the idiot couldn't get it out of the dash! all ya had to do was insert a paper clip in both sides, squeeze them toward the center and pull. this idiot ended up BENDING the damn chassis! i had to pull the dashboard off to get it out, lol! 2nd was thwarted when i saw the guy and chased him off - he got the faceplate from a replacement deck, and i got a busted drivers' window.

i wanted to replace my stock system with just a bit more bass... and it snowballed from there

i feel for ya - i know what it's like...

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CyberGoddess
Highlie
Member # 147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2001 17:02      Profile for CyberGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I drive a 1999 Saturn SC2...

http://www.cybergoddess.net/envy

(out of date and probably will be for a while since I'm going back to school)

------------------
CyberGoddess
La Goddess of Go-Go :)
Official Spokesmodel of the 2000 Geek Culture Web-a-Thon!
http://www.cybergoddess.net
Member of the NBS
After Y2K Fan Club Member #15
Staff - The Cyberspace Matrix, Doylestown, PA

$ killall -SCREW `cat /var/run/guys.pid`; cd

Posts: 621 | From: Larkspur, CA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2001 11:00      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzy Bunny:
The car I was just in was a 95 Dodge Intrepid ES.

Seriously this time, I actually drive a 1994 Eagle Vision TSI (which is pretty much the same as your Intrepid, but with the beefed up engine and suspension). I will NEVER own another Chrysler again. This car has not only had two serious safety related recalls, I have had both issues actually crop up.

The milder one was leaking O-rings on the fuel rails. I had those replaced under recall, but the replacements failed on me a year later and started to drip gasoline on the engine manifold. That one could only result in engine fire.

My favorite was the welding defects in the engine cradle. One day my car started shaking really badly whever I hid the slightest bump. I made an appointment with my mechanic to look at it, but before I could get it there, my front wheel fell off.

Fortunately, this happened in a parking lot rather than on the highway, otherwise I would probably be deceased now. About three months after I had this fixed, Chrysler issued a recall on that part.

In other news, the gas gauge and AC both failed in less than 5 years, but neither of those problems could cause death.

Posts: 2905 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
kimbrosan
Geek
Member # 596

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2001 11:09      Profile for kimbrosan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
two kay one VW golf turbo.

main reason: by flipping down the seats, you can fit a whole mess of monitors, boxes, etc. in the back. utility, utility.
second reason: you get the cargo space without driving anything that resembles a van, big honkin' station wagon, etc.

previously drove an impreza rs2.5. kind of on the other end of the scale. not too much utility unless you count the fact that there were two more doors (i didn't.) got the golf after the rs had an argument with a honda civic ( the civic won. i got a check and a sprained wrist.)

Posts: 144 | From: Below the Mason-Dixon, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
octothorp
Assimilated
Member # 339

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2001 11:47      Profile for octothorp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tha shaggon wagon!!!!!

1987 Pontiac 6000 LE station wagon, olympic edition (used to carry people and equipment around during the 1988 winter olympics), molding held on with duct tape, decent highway speed, engine rattles a bit, tends to overheat in gridlock very quickly, washer fluid doesn't work, power-locks are starting to get quirky.

#

Posts: 361 | From: calgary, alberta, canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Avi Drissman
Geek
Member # 122

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2001 14:02      Profile for Avi Drissman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Avimobile is right now a '98 Civic EX, silver. I'm three years into a four year loan, since I drive ~20k miles a year. The plan is to pay it off and drive it into the ground.

Avi

Posts: 169 | From: Oak Park, MI USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 2 posted September 04, 2001 14:26      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL on my part...Lack Of License.

anyways. what i WISH i could have...an original, restored vw minibus. painted black with silver trim. aww yeah.

malcolm
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2001 00:16            Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought I'd toss this one into the fray...

1962 Triumph TR4. Bought it from the neighbor 4 years ago for $500. She's my metal mistress now...

http://escapesystems.com/~malcolm/triumph/TR4big.jpg

You can keep yer plastic-adorned, tinted-glass, rolling stereos. I've got style ;-)

IP: Logged
Shelby289
Geek Larva
Member # 506

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted September 05, 2001 03:22      Profile for Shelby289     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well let's see. My Wife has a 1997 Honda Accord SE I have a 1989 GMC Pickup truck,that my wife calls "The Big Redneck Truck" , and last but not least I have a 1966 Ford Mustang. Which I have owned since I was 16 years old. Kinda cool huh. Now I don't own a Shelby Mustang, I just whished I did. Hence the name.
Posts: 25 | From: Pensacola,Florida,USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
RyMan
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 725

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted September 05, 2001 07:02      Profile for RyMan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1996 Nissan Maxima SE
Forest Green, tan interior, tinted windows, sun roof, spoiler, bike rack, V6.... ahhhhh I love my car!!!!

Posts: 4 | From: Provo, UT, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Petethelate
Uber Geek
Member # 302

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted September 05, 2001 08:12      Profile for Petethelate   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Currently, it's a 1986 Toyota pickup, while Julie has the '98 Ranger. I'm giving up (I think) on the '73 Superbeetle (with engine in a basket and a bad--nonrebuildable--case), since if I re-engined it, the money I'd have in it would far exceed its worth. As it stands, it already cost me more in time and money than I'm willing to think about.

OTOH, if the job offer comes through (if--they want *another* week to review the reqs), I'd get a company car all my own. Hey, I'd drive a Taurus if I didn't have to pay for it.

We're thinking about a minivan to replace the Toy and the Superbug. Whenever I get a telescope made, it'd be nice to have a van to drive to Fremont Peak to watch the faint fuzzies (galaxies and nebulae) and sleeping in a minivan sounds a lot nicer than in the back of the Toy.

Posts: 864 | From: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanoxt R'rilander
Alpha Geek
Member # 890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2001 09:03      Profile for Xanoxt R'rilander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most geeks from russia I know, walk, use public transport, or buly *ducks* their other significantgeekishhalf into driving them to places.

P.S. Those who get drafted into army are driven, or drive personnel transportational lorries. Military grade.

P.P.S. I mourn that loss to seciety people from P.S. are for long 2 years

Posts: 319 | From: Moscow, Russia, Earth | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacSnob
Discontinued

Icon 13 posted September 05, 2001 10:23            Edit/Delete Post 
99 VW Passat Wagon... its crap. Knobs break, exterior moldings fall off, interior moldings come lose in the heat, AC vents broke, engine burned up at 40k costing 6g to fix, brakes were recalled, steering was recalled and the import dealer was all tea and crumpets upon buying but now I want things fixed they run like a system admin. trying to avoid the CEO who wants to know why outlook lost the years finical projections. Please tell me when microsoft assumed VW. Work of advice, avoid European snob ornaments and buy a ford truck. 8)~
mephisto

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 666

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2001 11:01      Profile for mephisto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Used to drive a 96 sunfire but now I drive my Mom's old Ford Taurus. And a kawasaki Ninja 650 cc in the summer.
Woo hoo.

------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------

``To win a hundred victories in a hundred battles is not the
highest excellence; the highest excellence is to subdue the
enemy's army without fighting at all.''

-- Sun-Tzu
----------------------------------------------------------------

Geekatrix
Geek
Member # 826

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2001 13:30      Profile for Geekatrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a '92 Plymouth Sundance. It doesn't have a name, but its theme song is "Space Cowboy".
Posts: 154 | From: NYC | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 4 posted September 07, 2001 15:44      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"theme songs" now huh?

well, ok...

i had an '82 Ford LTD Wagon - those who have seen anything like it can understand what i mena when i say this car was BIG

and that's an understatment

3 point turn? yeah right

"gimmie 40 acres and i'll turn this rig around, it's the eaaasiest way that i've found..." obscure, isn't it?

but the theme i had for it was "Frankenstien" by Edgar Winter

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Will
Discontinued

Icon 6 posted September 07, 2001 16:40            Edit/Delete Post 
What do geeks drive? I built my own! A VW-based kit car called a Kelmark. Fast as stink and handles better than anything I've yet driven (13.1 sec quarter mile). For those of you unfamiliar with a Kelmark, its similar to a Ferrari Dino, 246.

My daily driver is a '93 RX-7TT - not quite as quick, but geared higher for a better top speed (although I haven't taken it there).

BTW, I noticed a couple of posts regarding VW Bugs. You can get a complete new engine for under $1K at VW events on both the East and West coast. Or, you can spend $5K and get 200HP. As the old hot rodders say - how fast do you wanna go?

Parity
Geek
Member # 429

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted September 07, 2001 18:02      Profile for Parity   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My current vehicle is a gray, 1984 Pontiac 6000, which I have dubbed... 'The Millenium Pigeon.'

Of course, what I'd really like is a Honda Insight, since I basically don't drive except to commute to work. Going around the city, the T is just much better than driving. For the bunny, being also in Boston, I'd strongly recommend a Honda something, anyway, because parking even a midsize like mine is a pain (because sometimes time constraints mean you -do- drive in the city...)

Parity Odd

Posts: 212 | From: Appended to the Data Bits | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
xobender
Alpha Geek
Member # 721

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2001 22:53      Profile for xobender     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All this Car stuff makes me kinda jealous but i love my bikes. I have three to date and a few out there somewhere have been stolen. The first bike is a regular little specialized rockhopper with base parts , the second is a older Flying V 700 from Cannondale circa 1995 with all upgraded parts and all ( it's still a sweet ride , Misy Giove actually won the mammoth down hill run with one of these spify babes), and finally i have a Cannondale Jeckyl with three inches of travel in the rear and two and a half in the front, with disk brakes ( that kinda sux since there are only dual caliper compared to quatro caliper clamps that many other brands offer)and all xtr parts ( except for the crank which is a cold press Coda ) , it even has hookups for a nite lite battery ( dual beam ) , and then there is the Bike computer that measures Cadence/miles made/time spent riding/real time/max and average speed/and total miles on battery life. Then if i don't ride bike it's metro travel all over the place.Some day when i get bored i'll get a car i think..hehe;P

Posts: 314 | From: OMG..There Breaking in..HELP!!!! | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2001 05:49      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two cars. One is a 1986 Nissan 300ZX Turbo:

http://supaboy.dyndns.org/~chris/PA220023.JPG
http://supaboy.dyndns.org/~chris/P1280020.JPG

The other is a 1995 Nissan 300ZX, non-turbo:

http://supaboy.dyndns.org/~chris/P7220028.JPG
http://supaboy.dyndns.org/~chris/BMW_Plant_Memorial_Day_Autocross.jpg

What, did you want pictures of them sitting still?

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture