homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » It's been a couple of days now... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: It's been a couple of days now...
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted May 19, 2003 13:19      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question. What is up with Agent Smith? He is obviously trying to kill Neo/humanity in general, but why, what does he gain from it? He isn't plugged into the Matrix anymore so it isn't a Matrix-driven objective. And like he said, Neo freed him so there could conceivably be some gratitude.

Any theories? [Confused]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2003 16:39      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
I have a question. What is up with Agent Smith? He is obviously trying to kill Neo/humanity in general, but why, what does he gain from it? He isn't plugged into the Matrix anymore so it isn't a Matrix-driven objective. And like he said, Neo freed him so there could conceivably be some gratitude.

Any theories? [Confused]

afaict, Smith now seems to be focusing on replicating himself ad-infinitum. Ironically, Smith has turned into a virus, the concept he despised so much in the first film. I presume his ultimate motivation is (still) to become non existent, so maybe his hope is he'll cause enough trouble that some higher power will "erase" him and put him out of his misery. He is still plugged into the Matrix because he's a program (presuming that prior knowledge is correct). He's just not "doing what he's meant to do" any more. Does that mean he's self-modifying code? [Smile]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 19, 2003 19:40      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My latest theory is that it's all a simulation, both Matrix A and Matrix B, run by the machines, before they decide whether or not to enslave humans for batteries.

[crazy]

Posts: 8181 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2003 22:30      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, like that idea Snaggy [Smile]

On a vaguely related topic, just got a spam email with the subject
"Try the Little Blue Pill, it Won't Let You Down"

Guessing they're not shooting for the Matrix audience. Either that, or they're suggesting that people who buy pharmaceuticals from junk emails are living in a dream world. [Big Grin]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2003 23:55      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by codeonezero:
Ok, here's my crack pot theory on as to why Neo was able to stop the machines.

This ignores the whole matrix within matrix idea.

Back in the first movie, we hear all about how much btu's the human body generates, effectively energy. And how humans could not find a way to harness it.

Now assume that Neo is the one, and in a sense a highly advanced human (mutant).

Then with this level of advancement he is able to harness the electrical activity of his own body to create a an EMP shockwave. Thus this exhausts his energy hence he's in a comma (temporarily).

Something similar might have happened with the agent smith reprogrammed human. Except in his case he used it to protect himself from the machines, as they destroyed Zion.

Also consider how the machines are said to have "kept on digging" after they got done with Zion.

So what's up with that? [Smile]

I don't think they are digging a hole to China.

Methinks that perhaps there's something else there. Perhaps more survivors...

That's a very impressive theory, I much enjoy your particular imput, gives much to consider with my thoeries [Big Grin] [Razz]

[devil wand]

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted May 20, 2003 14:10      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Something similar might have happened with the agent smith reprogrammed human. Except in his case he used it to protect himself from the machines, as they destroyed Zion.

Also consider how the machines are said to have "kept on digging" after they got done with Zion.

[uber-spoilage]
No, the machines didn't reach Zion, they reached the Zionite counter-offensive.

"When they got inside the ships it wasn't a battle...it was a slaughter."

They found Human-Smith as the only survivor, he triggered the EMP and what, though I'm not sure why the machines didn't kill him. The machines kept digging because they still had to reach Zion.
[/uber-spoilage]

-Oz

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2003 11:43      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by iankantian:
The Zion docking controllers are performing their duties while "plugged in". They are in a "construct" similar to the "dojo" scene in the first movie. Their environment could have been a victorian garden and still be valid for the plot.

Welcome, Mr Peeb!!! Good to have you aboard! [Smile]
Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2003 12:55      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by iankantian:
The Zion docking controllers are performing their duties while "plugged in". They are in a "construct" similar to the "dojo" scene in the first movie. Their environment could have been a victorian garden and still be valid for the plot.

Welcome, Mr. PB!
As the original PB would say...
May your stars be sparkly and your posts many!
[Smile]

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2003 14:01      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe, he is Mr Peeb to be.....anywho, welcome to our humble forum iankantian....Your lucky to have such a great gal

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
iankantian
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2194

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 25, 2003 14:24      Profile for iankantian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You Captain, Spungo, ilovemydualg4 for welcoming me into the madness!
I think I'll like it here.

--------------------
Protect your hearing, there is no substitute for the real thing.

Posts: 14 | From: Field of purple paper flowers, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
iankantian
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2194

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2003 14:35      Profile for iankantian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[crazy] The "mind" itself is merely an electric phenomenon in the Matrix. The "pirate signal" broadcast is putting the actual mind of the individual into the matrix. "Exits" (the phone) allow the the mind to return to awarness of it's host body. By taking over the projected mind of the Zionite and exiting, it is a simple matter (in the Matrix universe) for A. Smith to be in the pseudo-Cypher looking guy. [crazy]

--------------------
Protect your hearing, there is no substitute for the real thing.

Posts: 14 | From: Field of purple paper flowers, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
codeonezero
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1299

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2003 12:51      Profile for codeonezero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Oz, the Wizard of:
[uber-spoilage]
No, the machines didn't reach Zion, they reached the Zionite counter-offensive.

"When they got inside the ships it wasn't a battle...it was a slaughter."

They found Human-Smith as the only survivor, he triggered the EMP and what, though I'm not sure why the machines didn't kill him. The machines kept digging because they still had to reach Zion.
[/uber-spoilage]

-Oz

D'oh totally missed that detail, and i've seen the movie twice. Maybe ADD kicked in at the most inopportune time. I did figure that the Human-Smith probably triggered the EMP shockwave.
Funny i haven't been diagnosed with that [Wink]

But the Human-Smith triggering the EMP shockwave before hand calls into question if the previous Matrices had Smiths who did the same thing (take over humans).

It seems that the story is trying to convey that the Smith is an anomaly in this version of the Matrix. Or is the "Agent Smith" a common thread in every version of the matrix? A pawn to take over a human and bring down the Zion defenses?

Ok, but the rest of my theory holds.
Though matrix within matrix is intriguing it doesnt seem as satisfying as reality vs. matrix.

Though i guess it would represent the whole idea that Neo is the savior, meant to show humanity the higher reality. Kind of like gnostic Christians believe...

Ok, I've been reading one too many Matrix reviews from the Christian Science Monitor. [Smile]

--------------------
Codito Ergo Sum
http://homepage.mac.com/estebanuribe

Posts: 36 | From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
MistecMcetsiM
Mini Geek
Member # 2212

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2003 20:18      Profile for MistecMcetsiM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ilovemydualg4:
Remind anyone of The Thirteenth Floor? Good movie.

It does indeed. How remarkably astute of you. *claps* I love finding little nuances of this film that match a nuance of that film, or the same type of matching up with pieces of songs or chord progressions. I also love doing this with shades and pieces of philosophy and religion.

Maybe some day when I've connected all the things together from one film to another, one song to another and one philosophy to another, I'll be able to draw a pictoral map of my mind and it will be of a giant crayfish, kind of like connect the dots but not, and without the ink... [crazy]

--------------------
Mistakes are inevitable, but to fear failure is the real mistake. ~Me

Posts: 79 | From: Philadelphia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2003 21:33            Edit/Delete Post 
Ok so here's how the 3rd one ends.

Thomas Anderson wakes up in a cold sweat from his daydream (This daydream was brought on by the nyquil liquid caps he took earlier that look just like the "blue pill") that he made up in his mind as to what is going on in his computer when he runs Norton Utilities and says "woah! Like I think I have a virus on my computer" and calls the IT girl that he has a crush on. Of course she is "Trinity" (not her real name) and is lecturing him about not opening attachments. While she is checking his computer his phone rings, it's his friend Dave egging him on to ask her out already. [Pan to Dave who looks just like "Morpheus". ]

Next his boss Mark (Agent Smith) tells him "you look like sh*t, go home and get some rest, we'll manage a couple days without you"

Fade to black

commercial for Norton Utilities

Fade to black

Commercial for Nyquil telling you to take the Blue Pill next time.

Fade to black

Run credits

IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2003 23:25      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MistecMcetsiM:
quote:

It does indeed. How remarkably astute of you. *claps* I love finding little nuances of this film that match a nuance of that film, or the same type of matching up with pieces of songs or chord progressions
Ummm... Thirteenth floor came out after the first matrix [Wink] [Razz]

[devil wand]

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2003 13:10      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

It seems that the story is trying to convey that the Smith is an anomaly in this version of the Matrix. Or is the "Agent Smith" a common thread in every version of the matrix? A pawn to take over a human and bring down the Zion defenses?

[/QB]

actually the thing about agent smith being a common thread is very blatant. right after the first fight between neo and the agents where Smith gives neo the present of his ear piece. Two of the Smiths have a quick conversation

'Its progressing exactly like last time'
'Well almost like last time' - second Smith

so he has obviously been in all the matrixes. his speech to morpheus in the first one is also an indication of this.

i currently have no thought out crack pot conspiracies to explain what he is. my best guess is he is a virus

my only problem with smith is that he is a huge pain in my butt in Enter the Matrix. he is by far the hardest agent. the other agents can have the crap beaten out of them if you put bullet time on. even bullet time on he kicks niobes ass [Frown]

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
MistecMcetsiM
Mini Geek
Member # 2212

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2003 17:47      Profile for MistecMcetsiM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neotatsu:
quote:
Originally posted by MistecMcetsiM:
quote:

It does indeed. How remarkably astute of you. *claps* I love finding little nuances of this film that match a nuance of that film, or the same type of matching up with pieces of songs or chord progressions
Ummm... Thirteenth floor came out after the first matrix [Wink] [Razz]

[devil wand]

Um, the Matrix Reloaded came out AFTER The Thirteenth Floor, and we found out that the matrix was potentially a multi-dimensional world in the Matrix Reloaded. So... I stand correct. [Razz]

You can get in a technicality war with me, but don't expect to win. [Cool]

Posts: 79 | From: Philadelphia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture