homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Two Towers review thread (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Two Towers review thread
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 18, 2002 03:00      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has got to be done, one has to be started [Wink]

Went to see it last night, double bill. 'Fellowship of the Ring' followed by 'The Two Towers' and it was fantastic. Not only was the 'Fellowship' a newer copy and so there were a couple of new bits, but the 'Two Towers' was absolutly fantastic and really close to the book.
The pictures are fabulous and time just seems to flow past you. The films may be over three hours each, you just do not notice any time flow and when you get out all you want is more.
Just wait until you see Gollum, Treebeard and the Ents.

The cinema staff jokingly asked who was up for the nine hour, three film marathon next year and were rather surprised when about 3/4s of the theatre asked if they could reserve their tickets and we were not joking.

One thing, you must see 'Fellowship' first.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2002 04:32      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got home from seeing it about an hour ago. It was really good, although not entirely how I imagined it. And they were right, this was the movie where they strayed farthest from the books. I remember Faramir being a lot more noble, and at the Entmoot they decided to go to war, not after. I guess they had to make some sacrifices since they couldn't put in everything. I did like the stuff they added, I thought it gave you much more of a view in to the whole Aragorn/Arwen relationship.

The biggest disappointment was that they never got to the second tower in The Two Towers, but don't worry. We'll see the spider in the next movie. I can't wait. I'm going to see it again this weekend. After I watch Fellowship one more time. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2002 04:35      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did they keep the scene with the space-monkeys?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2002 04:53      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's great the way they come down to rescue Gandalf and then go back into space to finish their battle. After some riveting maneuvers they crash-land in Mordor just in time to see the oliphaunts. Unfortunately the oliphaunts were...*busy*...when they got there so Gandalf and the space monkeys left the room. (Or so they said)

Meanwhile Aragorn and the hobbits were busy elsewhere with the space tuna. Don't even get me started.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2002 05:39      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bah [Frown]

i cant go see it today cause im sick [Frown]

now i have to wait till friday

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted December 18, 2002 05:48      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Onion Infographic on The Two Towers. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2002 06:57      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
...Meanwhile Aragorn and the hobbits were busy elsewhere with the space tuna...

I hope that's space-dolphin-friendly space-tuna!

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2002 07:21      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's cut to the chase, PB-all I wanna know is how Vigo looked.  -

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2002 07:49      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
Let's cut to the chase, PB-all I wanna know is how Vigo looked.

He looked quite yummy, if perpetually in need of bathing. You can keep him, I'll look at Orlando Bloom. <stares at picture of Legolas> Hmmmmmm. [Smile]

There's nothing like going to the movies and checking out the guys with your gay friend. He really enjoyed Vigo and Orlando too.

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2002 08:06      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh..the age difference between us is showing... [Frown]

Yeah..I used to watch movies with my gay brother-in-law. We had very similar taste..and I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing. [Wink]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2002 08:28      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
Ahh..the age difference between us is showing... [Frown]

Nah, it's not the age, it's that necklace he keeps wearing. Silver pendants just don't work for him the same way they do for Arwen. I prefer more masculine jewelry on men (then again I'm oogling a guy with braids in his hair, so what do I know).

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2002 09:04      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
did someome mention elfsicle?

I'll be going this evening. hmmm, good idea PB, think I'll watch fellowship one more time before I go.

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2002 10:56      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] - I can't see it until the weekend. Eight of my friends shall be accompanying me... one of us for each member of The Fellowship [Big Grin] [blush]

I'm looking forward to it very much, especially after seeing the extra bits in The Fellowship of the Ring (wow... the giving of the gifts was awesome).

And, on the Legolas/Aragon debate... hmm... I'd say Viggo as Aragorn definitely... yep... *dreamy sigh* [Big Grin]

sky

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Charisma
Assimilated
Member # 1164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2002 14:01      Profile for Charisma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tomorrow, Tomorrow... I'm seeing it tomorrow! Can't wait.

--------------------
http://www.basseq.com

Posts: 404 | From: right behind you; in the shadows | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2002 14:23      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! We still have the same taste, sky. Hmm...I think I'll have to see a pic of GM now. [Wink]

--------------------

SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2002 16:27      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what are you people talking about?

the hottest guy in TTT is obviously Gimli [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
its been a while

skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2002 16:37      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GM's cute, snupy, but he'll never be a match for Aragorn [Wink]

And Spike - I never knew you had a thing for dwarves...

sky

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2002 19:07      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh yeah

dwarves really know how to hit the spot [Roll Eyes]

i think my attraction to them is as big as cheezi's to kittens

--------------------
its been a while

Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 18, 2002 20:08      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*has flashbacks about gim's discussion of dwarven females*

Went to see it today - no midnight showing this year, but good anyway. I seem to recall much of the stuff with the ents differently - how they met, the trip to treebeard's house, the duration of the ents' discussion, etc.

Gimli provides much of the comic relief, and the scenes with Gollum talking to himself are also pretty amusing.

Gandalf - while I haven't read them in years, I don't recall Gandalf fighting on a mountain. For some reason I remember it being all underground, and then his giant eagle pal comes down to get him out.

Whatever I might remember or misremember, very good movie.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2002 08:10      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lex:
Gandalf - while I haven't read them in years, I don't recall Gandalf fighting on a mountain. For some reason I remember it being all underground, and then his giant eagle pal comes down to get him out.

I remember them fighting underground, and I think after he kicked the Balrog's butt he followed the Balrog out. Bah, I haven't read the books in a year so I probably don't remember correctly. I thought that Eowyn dressed like a man to go into battle in this movie not the next, so from the previews I thought her brother was her in drag. Oops. [blush]

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2002 17:10      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i thought she does that at the end of TTT? [Confused]

--------------------
its been a while

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2002 17:33      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. I've read the book really recently. As I recall Gandalf and the Balrog start their battle at the roots of the mountain and finish it by killing eacho toiher on top. THen Gandalf gets sent back because he has a job to do.
Eowyn does not disguise herself as Dernhelm until the very beginning of ROTK. TTT ends with Gandalf and Pippin riding for Minas Tirith and Theoden, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Merry, Eomer and company heading back to Edoras. At the beginning of ROTK Aragorn uses the Palantir and decided to take himself, Legolas, Gimli and some other men to Minas Tirith via The Paths of THe Dead. Eowyn pitches a fit. Then Theoden, Eomer and the Rohirrim ride for Minas Tirith. Merry and Eowyn are supposed to be left behind but Merry wants to go and hitches a ride with Eowyn, whoin a naother fit of temper has disguised herself as a man and joined the army. Yes, I think she was being quite selfish at this point becasue, well, she had a job to do in Edoras and that was lead the people in the Kiong's absence. However, she obviously ended up serving a greater purpose by the end so I forgive her.

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kamran A
Mini Geek
Member # 1852

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2002 17:52      Profile for Kamran A   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best movie I've seen this year. 10 out of 5 stars.

Go. See. It. Now.

--------------------
Kamran A
[ERROR: A random error has occured, this error occurs once in a while] ~ Win 95

Posts: 50 | From: 0.0.0.0 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2002 21:04      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I give it a 5000000000000000000000000000000 out of 1. A definite must-see. And as those ents go, for trees, they can really KICK SOME ASS! w00t!

-Oz

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted December 19, 2002 21:19      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ents aren't trees!

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture