homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » The Chamber

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Chamber
homesalad
Geek
Member # 938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2002 21:41      Profile for homesalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone seen the new Fox show 'The Chamber'?

Its a trivia/extreme show, the contestants have to first answer some questions, then they get to go into the chamber. Where they have to answer questions, while getting muscle shocks, high or low temperatures, and so on.

Well, its pretty bad, yet i'm astonished at the poor quality (stupidity) of the contestants. Eh, its Fox though, what can you do?

Posts: 220 | From: On The Road... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
iballoondesign
Highlie
Member # 1037

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2002 23:35      Profile for iballoondesign   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, it sounds like very interest. But it turn out that whole thing are very bad. I don't understand why the hell anybody would do such a danger games. Well, it would be cool, but that game is so idiot and not much excite to watch. I wish it could be something better like raw stuff than keep going like Speed 2 - yuck.
Posts: 569 | From: Irving, TX | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Akira
Geek
Member # 954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2002 08:14      Profile for Akira   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wound up catching the premiere, simply because it preempted the Simpsons and I don't watch enough TV to know it would be on instead, and there was nothing else on until Justice League...

Frankly, after seeing what people will subject themselves to for cash on other shows (Fear Factor, anyone? Temptation Island?) I thought this one was sort of tame. It's obviously meant to be an answer to ABC's The Chair, a quiz show in which people have their heart rate monitored while the show staff attempts to scare them -- if the heart rate goes up, they lose the money. The tension in both of these shows isn't so much created by the situation itself, as opposed to whether or not the contestant can endure it. Ergo, if you don't care about the contestants (and the shows give you absolutely no reason to) it's damned difficult to care about the shows.

Personally I am a little scared at how close these are to the shows Stephen King (writing as Richard Bachman) described in the short story The Running Man (which was NOTHING like the movie). This is just the first step to "Treadmill For Dollars," in which heart patients are run ragged while they try to win enough cash that their next of kin can cover the funeral...

------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg.
Prepare to have your ass laminated.

Posts: 223 | From: LA LA land | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr100percent
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2002 13:58            Edit/Delete Post 
Akira, exactly!

If any network is getting like "The Running Man." it's Fox.

IP: Logged
George F. Will
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2002 20:45            Edit/Delete Post 
Well, not really, but something he said:

One day, sooner than we think, someone will be paid to play Russian Roulette on live TV.

I'm scared he's right

IP: Logged
joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted January 23, 2002 10:59      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching it while I was waiting for my laundry to finish so I could put it in the dryer before I took my shower. The washing machine couldn't have possibly spun fast enough.

Question: Am I the only person who thinks that the contestant who lost at the begining (the woman w/ glasses) was giving wrong answers on purpose?

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2002 12:37      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno... some days I think giving stupid people an excuse to get themselves killed isn't such a bad idea. It would do a lot to help clean out the shallow end of the human gene pool. I mean, do we really want to live in a world where frozen products have to come with big warning labels that tell you the product will be hot after you heat it? I don't (which is unfortunate since frozen hot pockets come with just that label). I say we stop idiot-proofing the world and give the stupid people more, rather than fewer, opportunities to off themselves for the good of the species.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
homesalad
Geek
Member # 938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2002 12:58      Profile for homesalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I agree, we need to somehow re-insert natural selection into the human race. Perhaps game shows are the way.

But even though I don't really enjoy watching the game shows, or whatever, all the people on them are weak. And sometimes I wish that I could be on the show, to show them how its done. I can answer trivia well in 140 degree heat. Been in a sauna before? I mean c'mon. Where do they get these idiots, and how can I be one of them? Thats like a hundred thousand dollars for 20 minutes of embarrasment of being seen on national television. Sign me up!

Posts: 220 | From: On The Road... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2002 15:15      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen portions of it; I couldn't stomach the show. The questions are too easy and the contestants too stupid.

I think, however, I have conceived the next game show idea for FOX, though: Inquisition
Black leather clad professional dominatrices use torture devices/methods of all eras and technologies on each contestant, with the pain increasing whether the answers are right or wrong, until the contestant quits, passes out or passes the test...or dies!

Just imagine, no namby-pamby chamber! Thumbscrews, the Rack, Spanish Boots, branding irons...power tools, electricity/cattle prods, etc.

Pain and humiliation for money on television.
What a concept!

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miles
Mini Geek
Member # 790

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted January 23, 2002 15:58      Profile for Miles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*****************BRAINSTORM*****************

1) Instead of heat/cold/thumbscrew torture of the contestant, how about the host? Or a "special celebrity guest?"

2) Play along at home: Viewers can only access the show by inserting thumbs into special device which administers the same punishment to viewer and contestant/guest masochist alike.

Does anyone else think John MacEnroe's (seen on The Chair) emcee days are numbered?

Posts: 98 | From: Columbus, OH, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
theJacob
Geek
Member # 980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2002 17:53      Profile for theJacob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thoughts on the Chair and the Chamber.

Gee, are those people stupid on the Chamber. Either they are answering them incorrectly on purpose, or they are just plain stupid and cannot name three chess pieces.

Okay. What's with the alligator on the Chiar? We could not stop laughing for fifteen minutes.

I like the way that they make 'em sign all of those forms on the air.

------------------
Intellegnce+Laziness=Efficency

Posts: 141 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Akira
Geek
Member # 954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2002 09:08      Profile for Akira   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently we weren't the only ones who thought it was dumb:

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20020129/en/television-chamber_1.html

------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg.
Prepare to have your ass laminated.

Posts: 223 | From: LA LA land | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 13 posted January 30, 2002 17:52      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dullest show in years.......Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture