homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » David Brin on Star Wars vs. Star Trek (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: David Brin on Star Wars vs. Star Trek
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 12 posted January 20, 2002 19:14      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FatGnome wrote:
It is like asking what is better a Cordless power drill or a hack saw? The answer is that they both have their uses but neither one can take the place of the other.

I think a basic part of the guy-code states that any tool that is powered is automatically more desirable and therefore superior to a non-powered tool

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MikeM33
Newbie Larva
Member # 1087

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted January 20, 2002 23:21      Profile for MikeM33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's really like comparing Apples to Oranges (or for many Apples to actually GOOD x86 boxes ). There's two kinds of "space" movies really, "Science Fiction" and "Science Fantasy".

Star Trek doesn't follow a continuous story-line concept, but presents some interresting concepts and compelling characters. Trek also deals more with average every-day issues and sometimes political issues in terms of the over-all "moral to the story".

Basically with Trek one episode ends and another begins completely independent of that previous episode. Another thing that Trek tried/tries to "explain" is the technology used in the over-all concept. I'd say Styar Trek goes into the category of Science Fiction because of these observations.

With Star Wars every little nuance of the technology isn't completely explained to us. We still have these compelling characters, but we also have a continuity in the over-all story-line from Episode 1 through Episode 6. It's a simple story, but a very heart-felt one and one that touches on a more moral and personal level versus simply a political or technical explanation. To me, Star Wars falls into the category of Science Fantasy.

Most of my favorite movies have more of a "Science Fantasy" slant to them, like the Indiana Jones films, The Matrix, Tron, 12 Monkeys, A.I., 2001 A Space Odyssey, etc., etc., etc.

I guess this is why I've always loved Star Wars and simply "liked" Star Trek. Star Wars simply seems to have a deeper "meaning" to me.

Mike

Posts: 5 | From: Clifton, N.J. U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture