homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » I know I am lame... but what do you guys think? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: I know I am lame... but what do you guys think?
nemesis
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1179

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted October 23, 2003 19:11      Profile for nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's just say I am shy and I don't know how to express my feelings for someone "correctly".I was talking to this guy I am interested in. He was joking no one sends him emails. I said I would. I asked how many he wants and he said a couple hundreds. Guess what? I really sent him about 200 emails. I basically just put a word in each subject of each mail. He has to sort them chronologically to read out all the sentences. I didn't really say anything but things like he is nice, good, and cute. And I won't like him if he's lazy on doing his work...(I intended to say I like him but somehow ended up something like that...just didn't have the guts) He actually read what I sent to him. He was reading the second half next to me and I told him I'd send more if I didn't exceed the limit I can send per day. Well, he didn't really say anything as I expected since he doesn't express or tell people his feelings. But what do you guys think what I did? Sweet? Annoying? I was trying to show him I care about him
Posts: 33 | From: Santa Monica, CA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
daveyt
Geek
Member # 1522

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2003 19:23      Profile for daveyt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least he took the time and made the effort to put together what you sent him. That says that he's at least a bit interested in what you might have to say. And, hey, you saying that he's 'nice', 'good' and 'cute' pretty much leaves it in his lap to make the next move, methinks.
good luck

--------------------
What the..?! How'd I get here?

Posts: 115 | From: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2003 19:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I've said before, guys are dense.

Subtle hints don't work.
Unsubtle hints don't work.
Blatant hints don't work.

Ask the guy out.

Just remember, if he says no, it's not the end of the world.

When you get to be as old and feeble as I am, it's not the dumb things you did in your youth you regret, it's the things you never did, the doors you never opened, the risks you never took.

Carpe Dium !

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
daveyt
Geek
Member # 1522

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2003 19:56      Profile for daveyt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amen to that brother! Can I get an "Amen"?

--------------------
What the..?! How'd I get here?

Posts: 115 | From: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2003 20:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amen, brother.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2003 20:41      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll get a whole chorus of Amens from me. There is no regret like a missed opportunity.

BTW. It's "carpe diem"

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2003 21:03      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
You'll get a whole chorus of Amens from me. There is no regret like a missed opportunity.

BTW. It's "carpe diem"

Quid quid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum.
[Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 23, 2003 21:25      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, note to self: Never ask for a few hundred emails...

I think it is cute, and at the same time exceptionally annoying. It would certainly have gotten my attention...

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mercury_Blue
Geek
Member # 2322

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2003 22:20      Profile for Mercury_Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think it's nice of them, and I would see that they put work into it. Then again, I don't use e-mail. If he was somebody who used e-mail a lot to communicate, then I would say yes, it is annoying. But, he would be blind or stupid if he didnt see the work you put into it.

--------------------
~~~The Geek Will Inherit the Earth~~~

Posts: 215 | From: Radioactive Wastland of Tzi-lak | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2003 04:10      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Quid quid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum.
[Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

'Quidquid' is one word. And I don't think 'init' is a word... do you mean 'intravit' (that would be the exact opposite of 'exit')..?

/me stops nitpicking

Sorry, I just have this obsessional urge to correct incorrect Latin... comes of doing a degree in the damned language [crazy]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2003 05:58      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it's not the dumb things you did in your youth you regret, it's the things you never did, the doors you never opened, the risks you never took.
A-FRICKIN-MEN!!!
I haven't taken that advice myself, but its so SO true [Happytears]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2003 14:40      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MTB Babe:
quote:
it's not the dumb things you did in your youth you regret, it's the things you never did, the doors you never opened, the risks you never took.
A-FRICKIN-MEN!!!
I haven't taken that advice myself, but its so SO true [Happytears]

Ok MTB, take a risk, post that photo [Wink]

--------------------

nemesis
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1179

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2003 00:47      Profile for nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep...I borrowed guts from some mysterious power and asked him out. He was smiling when I asked him to go for a movie together. It's a shy but happy smile...like he's trying not to let me see him smile but couldn't help it. He asked me the showtime and place and I told him I'll go check and let him know. Does that mean he's got interests in me then? Oh, and from that "who's paying" thread, should I ask him to pay for me then? I asked for the date though.
Posts: 33 | From: Santa Monica, CA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2003 03:35      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me, that sounds like he's definitely interested in you... Congrats on having the guts to ask him out! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] ... I think if he didn't want to see you, then he wouldn't have had such a positive reaction.

As far as asking him to pay is concerned, I don't think you should do that, as it would sound a little odd. Why not just be prepared to pay for yourself, and see whether or not he offers to pay for you when you get there... ?

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2003 05:03      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done !

Sounds like you're on a winner.

[Smile] [Cool] [Smile] [Cool] [Smile]

--------------------

cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2003 06:31      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'd say he was so far into you, he's out the other side! [Wink]

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2003 11:06      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tips from a shy guy (i.e. Things I'd like to see happen more often!):

Instead of asking him to pay for the date, why don't you be one of these "modern" women and offer to pay for the whole shee-bang? Seeing as you were daring enough to ask for the date. I know that'd knock my socks off! And after all, if some guy asked you out, you'd probably expect him to pay for it, or at least statistically you would, according to that other thread.

His shy little smile, btw, is a dead giveaway. Inside he's probably jumping up and down for joy, but another part of him is telling him to be careful and not push too fast, lest he screw up and lose you.

He's scared of making a mistake. If this thing blooms into something bigger, make sure you let him know that he can be totally himself with you and, as long as he's sincere in what he does, you won't hold it against him if he does something silly. Then it's up to you to keep your promise. Let him know if he's doing something you find unattractive or pushy or whatever, and offer a few suggestions on how he can do it better. Shy guys are keepers, but we need lots of reassurance that we're doing things right. [Smile]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2003 01:24      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
beautifully put mmkk

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2003 01:59      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, shucks. Thanks Cheezi! My horoscope told me that I'd be extra good at communicating ideas today. I guess it was right!

I just love it when people acknowledge my posts as being noteworthy. [Smile]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mercury_Blue
Geek
Member # 2322

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted October 26, 2003 05:57      Profile for Mercury_Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! It must have taken a lot of courage to ask him out, but I agree with MacManKrisK. It sounds like he's really happy that you did ask him out. Tell us how the date goes/went!
Posts: 215 | From: Radioactive Wastland of Tzi-lak | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2003 07:17      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer "Carpe Scrotem"

Grab life by the balls.

Vinni Viddi Velcro

We came we saw, We stuck to it.

--------------------
Check out my webpage/blog/review stash
www.logichigh.com

Posts: 377 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mercury_Blue
Geek
Member # 2322

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2003 12:02      Profile for Mercury_Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original quote is "veni vidi vinci". No double n's and d's. Just FYI. Heh.

--------------------
~~~The Geek Will Inherit the Earth~~~

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2003 13:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ti:
I prefer "Carpe Scrotem"

Grab life by the balls.

Vinni Viddi Velcro

We came we saw, We stuck to it.

Vini, Vidi, Munchi - We came, we saw, we ate.
Nil illegitum carborundum - don't let the bastards grind you down.

--------------------

littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2003 14:46      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, as the pig latin is being pulled out, will someone please explain to me if carpe diem actually means fish of the day, or fish of the gods. I always get into arguments about that. [Wink]
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2003 15:26      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Nil illegitum carborundum - don't let the bastards grind you down.

I have that hanging by my desk. It's ono a discrett little post it, so maybe I'll add "Carpe Scrotem" to it as well. [Big Grin]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture