homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » And there is no Santa Claus (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: And there is no Santa Claus
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 05:23      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
**sniff**

Beautifully put, Callipygous. [Happytears]

That's the thing that some people just don't get-and probably never will. To find someone who loves you despite your flaws and character defects, who can look beyond them and see all the wonderful, unique qualities, is what it's all about-no? We get all messed up about, "Oh, she won't like this, or he'll HATE that, or what will he think...?" instead of realizing that if there is a strong connection and they're the right person, your flaws won't matter at all. Some of them will become endearing(as mine always do **ahem**) and some will irritate the shit out of the other person(not that I would know about this), and that's what makes it an interesting ride, I think.

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 05:42      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, seriously-about my flaws...

Although I think it's perfectly normal, spungo always thought my pulse was a little fast(he actually thought i was having a heart attack at one point). And he complained that I felt so warm, too, and that my white skin was an odd colour, and I talked alot...

Hmm..... [Razz]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 05:50      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention half the requisite leg quota. [Razz]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 05:56      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
...and that's what makes it an interesting ride, I think.

I always thought it was the marmite, the gang of tripping lemurs, and the ear-bursting Wagner.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 10:32      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Coffee_geek:
Perhaps .this. is why Teen Love rarely works: Teen Love causes one to overlook flaws and once the flaws are noticed Teen Love is doomed to die. Maybe all love is like that (I wouldn't know at this point). Any thoughts from anyone? Input and testimonials requested!

Think Romeo and Juliet. Passion that lasted for weeks until they killed themselves. It sounds like the dedication of true love, but it was "star-crossed lovers". Teen Love is that place where you experiment with the idea of love and passion, to learn what type of person you could make your life mate, if that's your goal.

It's like finding your dream car. There are a lot that are the same make and model, and even the same color. You sit down in the cockpit and let out that sigh knowing this was what you had been waiting for. You aren't excited but relieved. Then comes the slow process of getting to know this particular vehicle -- its quirks, its problems, its features -- and you find that despite the problem, you just like that car more and more every day. Some of the problems get fixed, some not, but the commitment you put into the car makes it part of you, and you part of it.

Romantic love is finding the car people think you should want, and then try to force yourself to want it by talking up its features to yourself, until, eventually, you just can't lie to yourself any more. There was the thrill of getting the car and anticipation of the work you were going to do on it, but the cost was always prohibitive, or you didn't have the tools to do it, or were worried about breaking another part of the car, and then you have to spend even more than initially to fix it.

That's the best metaphor for love I can find that a guy might understand... I hope it helps.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Coffee_geek
Assimilated
Member # 1608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 11:24      Profile for Coffee_geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Best metaphor for love that a guy might understand..." *glowers* You... *thinks better of it, glowers more* Thanks for dumbing the concept down to the point where even a /male/ could understand it. I would have been so confused otherwise.

Thanky, everyone, 'specially Neotatsu and Twinkie and Callipygous... I guess I just need time. I bought myself a gift yesterday (a hat). It's a cool hat. Maybe I'll post a pic of me with my hat. Mad as a hatter...

Ah, well. Life moves on... was listening to angry breakup music, but it seems silly now...

Seeming and Dreaming,
Coffee (with a cool hat!)

--------------------
We got, ten minutes to get there
We got, ten minutes to go
Throw this one in for the money
Cause the next one's for the next show

Posts: 464 | From: Varies | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted June 17, 2003 11:48      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say love is more like an OS...

See, in the beginning, there is using whatever your parents or your school use, and you make do. Then, for the first time you pick your own... and you are infatuated.

Then, it crashes, and you work so hard to fix it.

Later, you use what your job requires, and you live with it, even if it sucks. Better than no OS, right?

Finally, you find one, or one finds you, that is perfect. Every day is spent finding new things to appreciate. The flaws are minor when compared to the overall *rightness* of the whole. Then, you're married to it, and it gets better [Smile]

Ummm, yeah.

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 12:10      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coffee,

Sorry I've been offline and didn't jump in until now. Others have offered excellent and eloquent advice, in my opinion. What I can add that I don't think has been said yet is to suggest you distract yourself for a while. Keep yourself busy. Do something you enjoy, for no other reason than you like it. Make yourself laugh - force yourself to watch the funniest movie you've ever seen if you have to. Sometimes we need a little distance from a situation or experience so we can look at that experience with a different perspective. Getting your brain to think of other things for a bit may do that. I don't mean shutting your brain down as you wrote in an earlier post, but actively keeping it engaged on something other than the relationship. I think that's already happening for you, but helping it along is a good thing.

So let's see the hat!!!!

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Punk Rawk Poet
Assimilated
Member # 2174

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 12:49      Profile for Punk Rawk Poet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Coffee_geek:

Ah, well. Life moves on... was listening to angry breakup music, but it seems silly now...

I listen to angry breakup music all the time, it's called emo. lol Does that doom me for relationships? Mmmmm... Teenage angst [Razz]
Posts: 447 | From: Boringville , USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 15:17      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to think I was helping behind the scenes this whole time, because if I don't get credit... [weep]

Now that that's been said, I'll play spoiler and show the hat!

-

Coffee: Don't kill me! [Razz]

-Oz

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 12 posted June 18, 2003 17:32      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:

See, in the beginning, there is using whatever your parents or your school use, and you make do. Then, for the first time you pick your own... and you are infatuated.
Later, you use what your job requires, and you live with it, even if it sucks. Better than no OS, right?
Finally, you find one, or one finds you, that is perfect. Every day is spent finding new things to appreciate. The flaws are minor when compared to the overall *rightness* of the whole. Then, you're married to it, and it gets better [Smile]
Ummm, yeah.
-WS

I am surely hoping I am "The OS what finds you", and not one of the others you mentioned... [ohwell]

However, I think we ought to leave the metaphors to me, angel... [Wink] ahem...

Love is an OS
You start with BASIC because that's what your folks had,
You find you can program with it, and are enamored. It is everything to you...
...then your world explodes -- there are OS's all over! You try everything, from UNIX to WINDOWS (and realize you don't do WINDOWS), and even sample FREE BSD, looking for that one OS to call your own.. the perfect X*

And finally, finally, you realize that all you ever wanted...

...was a little bit of reliable pus--, er.. kitty to call your own....

JAGUAR.

Jess

* = Roman Numeral for 10; for those of you slow on the uptake, it refers to OS/X, for those of you who got it on the first go... Yay Mac!

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Coffee_geek
Assimilated
Member # 1608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2003 21:10      Profile for Coffee_geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Oz, I pre-empted your hat post by a goodly amount of time. I'm the winner!

Seeming and Dreaming,
Coffee

--------------------

Coffee_geek
Assimilated
Member # 1608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2003 19:22      Profile for Coffee_geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm frm... I /could/ post a new topic, but I think that I'd rather save space and just post updates here...

Well, I had successfully gone a little over a week with an out of sight, out of mind policy. I didn't call her, et cetera, in an attempt to avoid thinking about here. It worked to limited success.

Last night, I got almost no sleep. In addition to my troubles falling asleep, I had to wake up at sevenish this morn to get my little brother ready for Camp. So, very little sleep. Running on little sleep for me isn't that bad most of the time, but it always thins my emotional defenses, as it were. Well, I'm under a lot of emotional pressure at the moment, and, long story short, I caved in and called Megan. I don't know why I did. It was, I suppose, a Bad Idea.

I talked to her for a bit (about five minutes) before she had to go. After she hung up, I broke down and spent a good five to ten minutes curled up on my bed (as I said, I was already weakened by lack of sleep).

Blah blah, it's tonight. She calls back, and we talk for a good half hour. I'm not sure whether it was a good or a bad thing... I don't know. While I felt really horrible immediately afterwards - not because the conversation had been bad, but because it was good, and further reinforced my tremendous sense of loss. But now I feel remarkably lighthearted, or at least a bit more hardhearted. I think it was good to get some things off my chest...

Anyway... Don't really know what the purpose of this post is. Just an update, I suppose...

Seeming and Dreaming,
Coffee

--------------------

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2003 20:36      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear that you finally talked to her. I'm sure it wasn't easy by any sense of the word, but I believe it was something you had to do to expidite the healing process. It's /always/ good to get things off your chest.

I hope you continue to heal, and, as little as this may help, rest assured that you will, even if it takes a while.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timmy334
Geek Larva
Member # 1345

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2003 18:09      Profile for Timmy334   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:

Ummm, yeah.

-WS

Damn, I never thought of it like that [Eek!] I've been moping over this girl I broke up with 2 years ago trying to make sense of it all. That just put it into words I understand! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
I'm not just a programmer, I'm a Code Poet.

-=TeamGouranga.com=-

Posts: 20 | From: Montgomery, AL USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2003 19:44      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I am late but wanted to give you a (HUG) and if that is you in the photo you should have no problems getting a fellow geek girl or 'regular' girl [Razz]

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
chinamoon
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2271

Icon 2 posted July 05, 2003 21:14      Profile for chinamoon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been sitting here reading the whole forum and thinking about love and what it means to me and i have come up with a huge blank...
Getting you heart broken sux big time but you have to have faith that it will get better. Im new by the way i stumbled over this site and thought it looked cool.

Posts: 17 | From: australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted July 05, 2003 21:33      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, chinamoon! We sure do seem to be getting a lot of folks from the land down under, eh? Anyway, may your stay be great, stars sparkly, etc. You shall not see me warning you about any certain members, because I just think that's mean to them, and kills the fun [Smile] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture