homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Soulmate calculator (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Soulmate calculator
illuminatus
Geek
Member # 2187

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2003 22:21      Profile for illuminatus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez ppl. Picky picky. I met my love on vacation, of course now we live 300+ mi away, but soon enough that'll change.

and according to the calculator...

You have to meet 1 American single females who are between 18 and 20 years old.

You might have to move.

well gee. whatda ya know...

--------------------
-illumina+us
http://illuminatus.oczombies.net/
I suck at life IRL

Posts: 124 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2003 19:14      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:
Originally posted by macadddikt18:
I would have to meet 4,416,674,736,245 American singles who are living in your city or willing to move there. Too bad I found my soul mate allready. Now all those girls I would have to meet don't stand a chance.
~Nayt~

Over 4 trillion females?! You may have a difficult time at that. There are only 3 billion or so on the planet. And they aren't all available.
actually it didn't specify a gender nor did it really speciy a species, though nayt might have made that assumption. I suppose there might be enough roaches [Razz] .........Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2003 20:51            Edit/Delete Post 
Even a few annoyed ones.... ;-)
IP: Logged
erp
Assimilated
Member # 602

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted May 19, 2003 17:13      Profile for erp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

You have to meet 43,847,293,602,281 American single females who are between 20 and 23 years old who are living in your city or willing to move there.

[Eek!]

I'm screwed. [weep]

--------------------
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." - Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)

Posts: 484 | From: beneath the Gables of Coral | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sinn
Mini Geek
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2003 19:23      Profile for Sinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow

You have to meet 1 American single females who are between 18 and 24 years old.

You might have to move.

--------------------
Sin is a dangerous toy in the hands of the virtuous. It should be left to the congenitally sinful, who know when to play with it and when to let it alone.

Posts: 64 | From: Kerhonkson, NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2003 19:32      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to meet 10,442 American single males who are between 22 and 30 years old who are living in within 1000 miles radius or willing to move there.

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
ronin
Geek Larva
Member # 2229

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 10:46      Profile for ronin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I refuse to use that calculator on the basis that I am certain the results would just be too goddamn depressing to deal with.

And yet I keep trying. Silly boy.

.ronin

Posts: 25 | From: Binghamton, NY | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 16:25      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to meet 7 American single females who are between 18 and 22 years old who are living in your city or willing to move there.

Huzzah!

Lemme see... in the past two years, I have met about... mmm... two girls... and at that rate... I won't meet 7 before I graduate. Oh well, guess I'll have to start over.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 08, 2003 22:30      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was able to get between 214 and 254 American females who are between 21 and 25 who are living in my city or are willing to move. With a little tweaking I bet I could get an even lower number based on age and proximity alone. Very interesting...

On another note, the site has a summation on the top left corner as follows:
<sum>(i=0, n) (Solve)^dating

Now, if we "Solve" where it says "Solve" and dating is some amount of dating it would seem we would arrive at some constant. I may be mistaken but I believe if this is true we can rearrange the summation so it is as follows:
(Solve)^dating * <sum>(i=0, n) (1)
Where Solve and dating are now some Constants which we arrived at when "Solving"

This looks like the simple summation we used when we were learning inductive proofs in CS so I am going to get rid of the summation with the following:
<sum>(i=0, n) (1) = n(n-1)/2
thus we have:
(Solve)^dating * n(n-1)/2

Now I am guessing the summation is suppose to "result" in a "Soulmate" so we now have an equation to play with:
(Solve)^dating * n(n-1)/2 = Soulmate

Since (Solve)^dating is suppose to be a constant (see above) I will use C to represent whatever this number may be.
C * n(n-1)/2
Rearranging the equation we can arrive at:
n(n-1)/2 = Soulmate/C

I think we can see now where this is going so my question is... what is n? Furthermore, how does the number from the "Soulmate Calculator" figure into this?
[crazy] [Confused]

-Shadow

(addiew's sig: "she-geeks are cool right?" -- Need there be any question? She-geeks rule! [Smile] )

[Edit] <sum> is in place of the sigma which didn't seem to post correctly [Mad]

--------------------
I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword,
Or manage it to part these men with me. - Benvolio (Romeo & Juliet)

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2003 19:28      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jessycat:
Wow... that questionnaire gave me a headache just looking at it.

Therefore I would bet that my soulmate has never even filled out a census form.

just how sure are you about that?

quote:

I guess I'll have to leave this love thing up to destiny after all. [Big Grin]

hmmmmm [devil wand]

heh - my 1st post in this area of the forum!

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture