homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Is that snow I see?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is that snow I see?
Orbhead
Geek
Member # 608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2002 08:18      Profile for Orbhead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brrr!!!

All the snow back home near Meaford is melting, and I am driving around with the sunroof open and the heater off.

Posts: 162 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted January 28, 2002 08:37      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Curse you Orbhead!!!!

We finally get our chance to gloat about a B.C. winter and we get snowed in and lose power for 20 hours!!!

sure is purdy though!

Posts: 8169 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted January 28, 2002 09:31      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute, snow in Vancouver!

What is the World climate coming too?

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Eponine
Highlie
Member # 548

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2002 10:58      Profile for Eponine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if snow is normal or not there, but I'm here in my room with the window open, sun shining, and my sleeves rolled up. It's 60 something here in IN. Ridiculous for January, I'd say.
Posts: 745 | From: Midwest, US | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted January 28, 2002 16:42      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... should I even get involved in this one? Awwwhattheheck...

Well, er, we had our winter days in South Florida already, lasted almost 2 weeks this year... dipped almost into the 40°F range once or twice...

It's currently about 76° and clear... been in the mid 80's most days...

Hmm... lesse if this works...

Click for forecast

--bd

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2002 17:53      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary:
Wait a minute, snow in Vancouver!

What is the World climate coming too?

Yeah, and to make it things even more effed up it snowed in the Seattle area this past weekend (causing my sister to e-mail me - yet another sign of the impending apocalypse)! And we've got spring-like weather out here by the Great Lakes. WTF???

------------------
Take by surprise and the world gives up resistance.
- Tennesee Williams

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2002 18:08      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
plenty of snow here, then it rained.......darn Seattle........Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
homesalad
Geek
Member # 938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2002 18:26      Profile for homesalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, across the sound here in Port Townsend, it snowed a bit too, and its been cold, so its stuck around.

After living on the west coast for 4 years now, I realize how truly bad most drivers are at driving in snow. I think everybody should learn to drive in Minnesota in December.

Posts: 220 | From: On The Road... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bregalad
Assimilated
Member # 1054

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted January 28, 2002 19:23      Profile for Bregalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by homesalad:
After living on the west coast for 4 years now, I realize how truly bad most drivers are at driving in snow. I think everybody should learn to drive in Minnesota in December.

Fair comment, but now that you've lived here for a few years don't you think our snow covered roads are different? In Minnesota, and many other parts of North America, the snow is cold and you can drive on it. Here it's rarely more than a few degrees below freezing. The minute something heavy like a car goes across warm snow it starts to melt, resulting in a tiny little layer of water on top of the snow. A few hundred cars later you don't have a snow covered road anymore, you've either got a 2 inch thick sheet of ice or a bunch of slush. Neither one offers even half the friction of cold snow.

Now that my street has a solid pair of grooves up the hill and the main streets are bare, it's great. I get to enjoy the beauty of a snow covered city without having to take outrageous risks getting to work and back. Today it was bright and sunny all day and people were leaving their desks and standing at windows just enjoying the view

Posts: 484 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpacemanSpiff22
Mini Geek
Member # 1078

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted January 28, 2002 23:37      Profile for SpacemanSpiff22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I posted this in another section, but it does seem odd that I'm getting snow too, here in southern california. Not enough to cause my power to go out, but still a couple inches. It's all sparkly! Ooh!

------------------
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof
is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. --Douglas Adams

Posts: 85 | From: Geek-o-sphere 42 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Miles
Mini Geek
Member # 790

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted January 29, 2002 07:33      Profile for Miles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By contrast, it's been nearly 60 deg F here in Ohio for 3 days. It should be 20-30 and either snowing or sleeting. Who do you think mixed up the weather? (not that I'm really complaining...)
Posts: 98 | From: Columbus, OH, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eponine
Highlie
Member # 548

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2002 12:14      Profile for Eponine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the driving in snow comment, in OH, they slap on a layer of salt for every inch of snow we get. I don't think salt is necessary unless you have ice. But then, both my parents learned how to drive in MI, and I don't drive at all, so I can't talk.
Posts: 745 | From: Midwest, US | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Orbhead
Geek
Member # 608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2002 22:57      Profile for Orbhead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Snaggy, I guess I got what I asked for. After all the snow here melted, it snowed about 15cm here. As soon as the roads were plowed a bit, it started freezing rain. It is truly gross outside here right now. And I was supposed to drive to Goderich tomorrow.

Perhaps we should start a new thread called. "Winter Blast Part II"? It can be the sequel to the Winter Blast thread that went on forever last year.

Posts: 162 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2002 20:27      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, what IS the world coming to? It's SNOWING in COLORADO!
Posts: 904 | From: A Calculus book near you... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture