homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Douglas Adams

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Douglas Adams
Shinaku
Alpha Geek
Member # 2027

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2003 14:37      Profile for Shinaku   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does any one hear read the books by Douglas Adams. You know "The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy?" I was watching the TV series yesterday just to see it was anything like the book, Just thought I would ask.

--------------------
^(^.^ )P~~~

Posts: 312 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2003 16:01      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to read them, they're great! I've also read "The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul," but I have't been able to find the first Dirk Gently book anywhere [Frown] .

--------------------
I must first reveal my personal bias in this discussion, since I worship at the 'First Church of PDF Really Sucks.'
-Bruce Tognazzini
http://thegeekgroup.org
Geek ID# 1162

Posts: 692 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Topher Kersting
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2155

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted April 29, 2003 16:14      Profile for Topher Kersting   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've read just about everything DNA ever wrote, so obviously I like his work.

One little known (and hard to find) work of his, "Last Chance To See," documents a series of trips he made with nature photographer Mark Carwardine to try to find endangered species before they disappeared. Both humorous and touching.

I'd also recommend reading "The Salmon of Doubt," a compilation of his last writings. Visit h2g2.com for his sort-of "Hitchhikers Guide" to Earth project.

Don't Panic!
Topher

--------------------
They'll get my encryption algorithm when they pry it from my cold dead hard drive.

Posts: 1 | From: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2003 20:01      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Slurpy:
You have to read them, they're great! I've also read "The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul," but I have't been able to find the first Dirk Gently book anywhere [Frown] .

Indeed, and the Starship Titanic is the next on my reading list. I have read (and re-read) the HHGTTG trilogy (of five), and look forward to finding a CD of the original BBC radio broadcast (as I have the DVD of the TV series) of HHGTTG.
Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted April 29, 2003 21:00      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. Never heard of him. (Read sig for irony.)

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
miock
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 1112

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted April 30, 2003 03:54      Profile for miock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
such a loss to us both in the literature and mac way. We now only have Stephen Fry to Evangelise the Mac wherever he goes.
Salmon of Doubt is very sad, all DNAs plans now never to be completed and it is probably wrong to publish his works in their raw form, since he was a such a wordsmith and agonised for hours/days over his writings

Posts: 1 | From: Southend-on-Sea,Essex,UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2003 04:07      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, miock, by the way.

Always good to have another limey on board to counter Johnny Foreigner. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shinaku
Alpha Geek
Member # 2027

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2003 04:19      Profile for Shinaku   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I HAVE read all his books, i just got his TV series from the library, so i thought i would post. PB: You have never heard of him? OMG! Heres a link

--------------------
^(^.^ )P~~~

SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2003 04:22      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Smegedinashed:
I HAVE read all his books, i just got his TV series from the library, so i thought i would post. PB: You have never heard of him? OMG! Heres a link

smeg monty python has lead me to believe that all brits are powerful masters of sarcasm yet you dont comprehend the idea.. be sure to install Sarcasm Detector 2.0 on your pc [Wink]

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2003 04:24      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Errr... smeggy - you've been in that shed too long. Get out and discover sunshine once in a while. Peeb was being sarky. JUST LOOK AT HER SIG GODDAMMIT! (ok...deep breaths... no more coffee... no more coffee...)

--------------------

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2003 08:46      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Smeg, for our annniversary this year I got my fiance The Ultimate Hitchiker's Guide, which is all six of the Hitchiker books in one volume. I've been a DNA fan since I was introduced to his work in High School. I'd really like to find The Meaning of Liff[sic], or The Deeper Meaning of Liff[sic], but they have been out of print for so long that I probably won't be able to find them.

To most people on the board the [Wink] would have been enough to show the sarcasm, even if they hadn't heard me begging for a Douglas Adams poster, but for you I added the extra touch of pointing out my sig. Maybe you should read more carefully. [Wink]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2003 08:56      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try here, Peebs. [Smile]

--------------------

raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2003 09:49            Edit/Delete Post 

IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2003 11:36      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...or here
web page on bbc.co.uk

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shinaku
Alpha Geek
Member # 2027

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2003 13:00      Profile for Shinaku   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ah.. didn't read the signiture, i was at school, in a rush... OH SHUT UP
[Mad]

--------------------
^(^.^ )P~~~

sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2003 15:04      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey PB

I found some used copies of those books on Amazon. [Smile]

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2003 15:12      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sosumi:
hey PB

I found some used copies of those books on Amazon. [Smile]

Cool thanks. You know, that would be great as a wedding present!

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

dadaist
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1073

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2003 21:47      Profile for dadaist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm I don't know. I had the Hitchhiker's Quartet, back when there were but four books, the original US Edition of Don't Panic, which fell apart and was donated to a middle school that I worked for (long story there, I might tell it sometime), got the revised UK edition through amazon.co.uk - then there's the Meaning of Liff, the Deeper Meaning of Liff, the Illustrated Hitchhiker's Guide (which originally sold for $42, go figure).
Plus LCTC, both Dirk Gently books (and the old simon and schuster abridged editions on tape, with Douglas reading Dirk Gently and Simon Jones (aka Arthur Dent) reading Long Dark Tea-Time are great). I have Mostly Harmless, and a newer leather bound volume with all 5 H2G2 novels, as well as German editions AND the DC comic editions of Hitchhiker's and Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
The CD's are VERY hard to find in the US, again I went through amazon.co.uk, where you can get an 8 CD set, including all 12 radio episodes, a 20th anniversary radio documentary and an interview with Douglas, OR buy the whole thing on a brand new MP3 CD (this is a totally new format for BBC audio).
I also got the DVDs a few months before they came out in the US, so my version doesn't include the retrospective documentary of his life. There's another documentary you can get through douglasadams.com, narrated by Neil Gaiman, who wrote the first edition of Don't Panic. And don't forget the official fanclub, at zz9.org.

Posts: 32 | From: Chicago area | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted May 02, 2003 01:32      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow you can get the CDs NEW?!!? then why am I downloading 30MB file on dialup? It's payday, so off I go.

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dadaist
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1073

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2003 10:59      Profile for dadaist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UK ISBN for the 8-disc collector's edition of H2G2 (both radio series plus 2 bonus discs) is
Current amazon.co.uk price is £34.99 (just shy of $56 US, according to money.cnn.com).
I've never had any problems getting things imported from amazon.co.uk to the US, except for one shipment lost by the USPS, but replaced for FREE by amazon.co.uk.

dadaist
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1073

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2003 11:01      Profile for dadaist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And speaking of DNA, Shada, the lost Doctor Who story, has started in its new format on BBCi.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/shada/

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture