homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » that glorious feeling of belonging

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: that glorious feeling of belonging
feldspar
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1095

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted January 28, 2002 08:54      Profile for feldspar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know that feeling when you come into a new situation, suss it out for a bit, then realize that you BELONG there and you can't believe you hadn't been there all along?

Had that feeling just a little while ago when I stumbled upon these boards. Been reading JoT/AY2K for a while now, just never got to this end of the site. Jeez, where've I been all this time?!

So, the skinny on me:
- "feldspar" is an old college nickname. technically speaking, feldspar is one of the composite minerals of granite (don't get me started on the different types of feldspars)
- Apple user since 1981 (mom made me take a programming course in BASIC in summer school!); Mac user since 1989 (a Plus); PowerBook user since 1994 (now on a Pismo400, TiBook on the horizon)
- work in computer support; phones, help desk, etc., which specialization in educational technology (i.e. computers in schools, mostly Mac). professional considerations force me to be cross-platform, however, and I'm slowly inching towards my MCSE(2000)
- I'd consider myself to be in the classic "nice geek" mold, a la Ti or Macman or SpacemanSpiff, which equals plenty of girl friends but very few girlfriends (none currently, go figure). I'd also say I slightly resemble Ralph Fiennes, but that may just be enlarged self-image....

But I digress. Suffice to say I'm thrilled to have found this little gathering and I suspect I'll be hangin' 'round a bit. Mac geeks are the best kind of geeks, hands down.

cheers!
f.

------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid
is no way to go through
life, son."

Posts: 32 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 28, 2002 09:24      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome feldspar!

...glad you've joined our band of merry geeks.

Posts: 8169 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Akira
Geek
Member # 954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2002 10:17      Profile for Akira   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...just keep in mind that not all geeks here are Mac geeks.

That said, for the most part this seems to be the least religious group of geeks I've ever encountered, OS-wise. Or at the very least, the best about keeping OS preferences from interfering in otherwise happy, productive relationships!

Akira, who *is* a Mac geek

Posts: 223 | From: LA LA land | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
iballoondesign
Highlie
Member # 1037

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted January 28, 2002 10:41      Profile for iballoondesign   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, these comic are so cool. I went and look all over from the begin to end. It took me forever with suck ISP.

Welcome geek

Posts: 569 | From: Irving, TX | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2002 18:54      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hail and well met there fellow DC Mac Geek. Do I know you? I do Mac stuff for just about every county and city school system in the DC area and several of the universities, and I would have though I would have bumped into you. Oh and I agree it is a nice bunch of people here.

------------------
--
Geordie

Posts: 323 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bregalad
Assimilated
Member # 1054

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2002 22:25      Profile for Bregalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!

I read the comics for about 6 months before discovering this friendly little community.

Posts: 484 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
theJacob
Geek
Member # 980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2002 19:09      Profile for theJacob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.....and belong you do! Welcome!

------------------
Intellegnce+Laziness=Efficency

Posts: 141 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2002 02:46      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome feldspar

------------------
reality.sys corrupted. universe halted. reboot (y/n)?

Posts: 1150 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 14 posted February 02, 2002 22:10      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
welcome aboard, feldspar!
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted February 04, 2002 03:00      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<Reads topic>
<Realises that he has not welcomed feldspar>
<Berates himself for not doing so>

Consider yourself welcomed by me then.

As long as you do not have plans to take over the world you will be welcomed here.
If you do have plans to take over the world, you will be even more welcomed here, especially if you share them .

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2002 07:01      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!
Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
seraphim
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1109

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2002 13:56      Profile for seraphim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, I agree with everyone who thinks this is a newly discovered home. greetings all...I'm an animation student, just stumbled on geekculture through wired news. great damn site! I'm also an avid anime fan (and a girl) and I have big plans to take over the world, and everyone is invited to celebration ball afterward! I look forward to talking with you guys and gals, so merry meet!

------------------
lost in coma where it's beautiful, dreaming in digital

Posts: 31 | From: sental star galaxy | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2002 20:29      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeppers, I know what you mean.
Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2002 20:50      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome feldspar :-)
Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
macadddikt18
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2002 15:48      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, i think that is a cool nick name.Keep up the posting. I hope to see you around. =)
Nayt

------------------
Through out your life you will wonder who THEY are. Then you find out who THEY really are. From then on you live you life in fear of THEM and you wish you never knew who THEY were.

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture