homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » What do Geeks do for a living? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: What do Geeks do for a living?
Passenger
Geek Larva
Member # 1411

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2002 20:10      Profile for Passenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, I get to be the Old Man... I'm a retired Toolmaker. I worked for Uncle Sugar and when they downsized I got an Early Out. I'm trying to get it together to do ornamental iron work, which is what a Blacksmith does. So now in me twilight years I get to be sort of a artist person. .

I'm a Mac person, I prefer pickup trucks to cars and am waiting for the Segue Scooter to be outfitted with a gunrack and off road tires. .

Posts: 27 | From: Laytonville CA USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
JGall
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1348

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2002 18:52      Profile for JGall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a sophomore in college and I am majoring in mathematics and computer science. It's really fun because I enjoy math and programming is interesting thus far. I know some C, some C++, and Java. As of lately at school I work in a school cafeteria because that unfortunantly is one of the most high-paying jobs on campus, more than working with computers. I am off from school already for this summer and I will just relax with my all-loving person who knows be best: my computer. I am a linux geek, 100% windows-free. I am very fluent in three categories: bad english, inappropriate language, and programming languages. Anything else you want to know, just ask! = )

------------------
Jon Gall
AIM: JGall20
MSN IM: [email protected]
Yahoo: jgall_17

Posts: 36 | From: Woodbury, MN, USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted May 31, 2002 20:25      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by macadddikt18:
as far as fun with dishes, two words for you. SOAP SUDS.
Nayt

Yay! I like washing dishes! I agree,...soap yourself up 'n have some fun! I always blast some rock from me radio and dance around doin' a jig in the kitchen. It's so much fun, Paul...YOU SHOULD TRY IT! Do it in your socks! Whappens in my case is that I enjoy it so much, I end up cleaning the whole house . It's great joy...

------------------
Look at me, dammit, I'm your little princess!!

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted June 02, 2002 22:43      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by I know Kung-Fu:
I bring up my little girl,make television programs and fool around with Macintosh computers. All at the same time.

Oh my Lord! Fooling around with Macs? Dear God, how could you!

YOU SICK BASTARD!

------------------
Look at me, dammit, I'm your little princess!!

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2002 11:50      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a GAT (Geek of All Trades), so I do some web design, some computer design/upgrading/repairing, and I'm getting my CCNA certification.
And I'm only a Junior! Huzzah! 8^)
And in my spare time, I frighten non-geek classmates with my foldable keyboard (I keep it in my pocket at all times...)
-Oz

------------------
------BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Version: 3.12
GAT/IT/CS d? s++:-- a--- C++++ UP+ L+ W++ N+ K+ w+++++ O---- M+(---)
PS* PE+ Y+ t++ 5 X+ R* tv+ b+++ DI+++ D+++ G+++ e* h!* r-- y--
-------END GEEK CODE BLOCK-------
www.geekcode.com
Yes, I know it's archaic, but...

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
buh
Geek Larva
Member # 487

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted June 13, 2002 14:00      Profile for buh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a UNIX sysadmin. Not linux. UNIX. As in Solaris, and FreeBSD, and HP-UX. The only linux I run is debian woody on an old HP B180L Workstation (PA-RISC).

Use the fork() Luke!

------------------
In God we Trust -- all others must submit a valid X.509 certificate.

Posts: 24 | From: Provo, UT, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2002 17:27      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
webmaster/web designer
html/css/php/ a tad of perl/flash/graphics when i must

------------------

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCM/M/IT d(-) s:- a-- C++(+++) UL/*++ P>+ L++>+++ E---- W+++$ N* o+>++ K--- w--- O M++$ VMS-- PS(+) PE Y(+) PGP++ t++(+) 5-- X- R+ tv++ b++ DI++++(+) D---- G++ e-- h++ !r y?
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
http://www.geekcode.com
Hazards: "There is an island of opportunity in the middle of every difficulty, miss that, though, and you're pretty much doomed."

neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2002 15:49      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Short answer:
glorified technical support

Long answer:
I install, repair and support vibration analysis equipment used to monitor industrial machinery in order to predict failures. I work both over the phone and on site in industrial plants around the country and sometimes internationally.

stick with the short answer...that way you can bitch that people just don't know what the hell they're doing and get away with it, I mean after all your GLORIFIED tech support..not just regular tech support...plus it's quicker to type

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2002 16:01      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ME?...I used to work washing dishes at the Old Country Buffet...I told em to take the job and shove it, for various reasons. Right now I'm looking for another job....I just finished junior year in high school, I'm in running start which means I go to college instead of high school but the high school pays for it...I've only got a couple of required courses left for the high school so next year I get to start work on my programing certificate..I don't really NEED the cert, but the high school pays for it and it increases my chances of getting into the digipen institute of technology...I wan't to go into the video game business, and I WILL no matter what...even if I wind up just making shareware working for myself and doing some office desk job on the side...anywho...GO VID GAMES!
Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2002 17:47      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neotatsu:
ME?...I used to work washing dishes at the Old Country Buffet...I told em to take the job and shove it, for various reasons. Right now I'm looking for another job....I just finished junior year in high school, I'm in running start which means I go to college instead of high school but the high school pays for it...I've only got a couple of required courses left for the high school so next year I get to start work on my programing certificate..I don't really NEED the cert, but the high school pays for it and it increases my chances of getting into the digipen institute of technology...I wan't to go into the video game business, and I WILL no matter what...even if I wind up just making shareware working for myself and doing some office desk job on the side...anywho...GO VID GAMES!

cool, our high school used to do that, but then it became apparent that our school district was actually part of a massive money laundering system in conjunction with the service company, and a few of the board members (and others who the commitee haven't found) and we are now 2 billion dollars in debt... we can't even buy paper and when our desks break, we sit on boxes, etc
i wish we could do that at our school (though i'm sure that your school isn't as good at laundering money as ours is )

------------------

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCM/M/IT d(-) s:- a-- C++(+++) UL/*++ P>+ L++>+++ E---- W+++$ N* o+>++ K--- w--- O M++$ VMS-- PS(+) PE Y(+) PGP++ t++(+) 5-- X- R+ tv++ b++ DI++++(+) D---- G++ e-- h++ !r y?
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
http://www.geekcode.com
Hazards: "There is an island of opportunity in the middle of every difficulty, miss that, though, and you're pretty much doomed."

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture