homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » vi rocks (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: vi rocks
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2003 06:59      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you look at it from a practical POV, then vi is the clear winner on unix. I also keep a DOS version of it on a floppy so I carry it over to someone's windows machine when I have to help them out.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2003 07:11      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto, Fluff Daddy. But, alas, you and I are a dying breed - old-school fuddy-duddies who love nothing more than a cup of cocoa and a cozy cardigan. These youngsters with their new-fangled bells-and-whistles doo-dahs are taking over - and if it don't play Snoopy Snoop Dog or wouldn't look phat on their boogie-boards they'd have nowt to do with it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, it's time I was bouncin' - I'm off to get some rad studs ... and maybe get stoked listenin' to my dope mixes. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2003 10:15      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of being able to bring vi around with you, I carry the LNX-BBC (http://www.lnx-bbc.org) with me, and that has vi and all sorts of great stuff on it (like SSH). Nothing like being able to look at a system that Windows judges to be non-functional, with a mere business card CD. It even has a very light version of X on it, and other goodies. If emacs was on there, there wouldn't be room for X [Wink] .

:wq

Edit/Append: Or simply:
ZZ

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
AnyoneEB
Mini Geek
Member # 1456

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2003 18:46      Profile for AnyoneEB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use TextPad on Windows and Nano on Debian/Linux (just added the alias nano='nano -w' thanks for the hint [Smile] ).

--------------------
"What do you call someone who only speaks one language? American"

Posts: 50 | From: Somewhere in the 4-dimentional time-space continum | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Coffee_geek
Assimilated
Member # 1608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2003 13:11      Profile for Coffee_geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VI forever!
Emacs is far to complicated and frivilous. No frills, baby!

Seeming and Dreaming,
Coffee

--------------------
We got, ten minutes to get there
We got, ten minutes to go
Throw this one in for the money
Cause the next one's for the next show

Posts: 464 | From: Varies | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 06, 2003 08:49      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dragonman: thanks for the tip about lnx-bbc, that should be wonderfully useful to me some day.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hagrid
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 1875

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted January 06, 2003 14:57      Profile for Hagrid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vi is OK but its edt that rocks!!

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture