homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Mac?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mac?
iMat
Geek
Member # 1246

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted August 26, 2002 12:30      Profile for iMat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using a PC for about all my life now, but when I'm getting my next computer, Macintosh is really dominating my mind. The only thing keeping me away from really, truely considering one os software. I know there is all the software I need, but I would have to pay a lot to re-buy what I have for my PC for a Mac if I get one.

The software alone would be thousands.
I need
-Macromedia Studio MX
-Adobe Photoshop
-Office

Those alone are more than the machine itself.

Also, which one should I get? Note: I'm not really that big when it comes to spending. Top-of-the line PowerBook is out of the question.

--iMat

Posts: 119 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2002 12:52      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The iBook, iMac, and eMac are all good machines. They lack some of the oomph of the pro models but are priced nicely. Usually the top of the line consumer model is a few hundred dollars less expensive then the base pro models.

Besides performance, the tower models can also grow in the future. While you might be able to change the HD in an iMac, there is very little chance of a processor upgrade. This is basically a laptop with leg room and a nice display. Towers can get processor upgrades, PCI cards, new video cards, and so on. Not so with the consumer models.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 26, 2002 13:34      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you a student? If you are, there are great deals at http://www.academicsuperstore.com They have all the titles you mentioned at way low prices. They're fully functional educational versions that are upgradeable and cost about half as much as retail. They might also have Virtual PC , if you want to run your Windoze programs on your Mac.
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
moreflash
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 1622

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2002 14:11      Profile for moreflash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I switched back in January and have been very happy ever since.

As for the software issue, it was a concern of mine also. First you can get Virtual PC to tide you over until you can purchase all mac versions of your software.

Next Adobe offers a cross platform copy price for Photoshop. I had Photoshop 6 and had to pay $200 for a mac version of Photoshop 6, sucks but $400 cheaper than just paying for the full version.

As for Flash I know two methods. I have heard that you can mail in your old copy of flash and $20 and they will send you a mac copy (check with macromedia first). or go to megamacs.com and order Flash 4 ($80) then upgrade to MX (same price as upgrading from 5).

As for office, maybe try thinkfree office or openoffice.org

good luck

Posts: 2 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2002 06:41      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at it this way... you already have a PC and can run all your Windows software. Purchasing a new PC would mean only that you could run it a bit faster. Purchasing a Mac opens up entirely new lines of software to you, however, without losing the ability to run anything you currently have.
Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
kygeek
Mini Geek
Member # 1623

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2002 07:36      Profile for kygeek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look into buying a used mac to try the waters.

Off topic but switch photo.
http://thetweakshow.com/DrEvil.jpg

--------------------
-Paul
Dsl and Cable internet, some call me a broadband junkie, some call my apt a datacenter.

Posts: 84 | From: Louisville, KY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
+Andrew
Alpha Geek
Member # 873

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2002 07:54      Profile for +Andrew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to be doing a lot of Photoshop and Macromedia work, you may want to consider that P4 and Athlon systems are apparently a lot faster than even Dual G4 systems.

That said, I don't have anything against Macs - I'd certainly have my own if I had a few thousand $ to spare.

Posts: 349 | From: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
kygeek
Mini Geek
Member # 1623

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2002 07:57      Profile for kygeek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by +Andrew:
If you're going to be doing a lot of Photoshop and Macromedia work, you may want to consider that P4 and Athlon systems are apparently a lot faster than even Dual G4 systems.

That said, I don't have anything against Macs - I'd certainly have my own if I had a few thousand $ to spare.

I seen a similar report to that one about speed ratings of mac/intel/amd on a apple site and the mac was the best. Seems like someone is fixing the numbers or some "fuzz math" per our president of usa. lol

--------------------
-Paul
Dsl and Cable internet, some call me a broadband junkie, some call my apt a datacenter.

Germanguy
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1559

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2002 08:56      Profile for Germanguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I switched about 4 month ago.
I noticed that the workflow on a mac is a lot smoother.I just get things done now.
You loose maybe a second or two on the processor speed but save yourself minutes,hours and days clicking those .net ads away [Smile]

Posts: 37 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Akira
Geek
Member # 954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2002 10:14      Profile for Akira   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The question of which Mac to buy depends a lot on what your needs are. Here's the flowchart I usually recommend.

First question: are you a hardware geek that wants to be able to install your own hard drive, RAM, and PCI/AGP upgrades? If so, the only options to consider are the towers. The G4 towers are the only machines Apple makes that can be easily user-upgraded beyond adding more RAM or an Airport card. These are also the most powerful machines Apple makes.

If the answer to that question is no, the second question becomes: is game-playing going to be a primary focus for this machine? If so, again, look toward the towers, as they are the only machines that can easily have the video subsystem upgraded. (That said...the current iMacs all feature fairly impressive nVidia cards, so unless you're a power gamer, that would probably be acceptable.)

If the answer to that question is no, the third question becomes: are you entirely budget minded? If so, look to an iMac or eMac; they're less expandible but considerably cheaper than the towers or portables Apple is offering.

If the answer to *that* question is no, the final recommendation is to look to a TiBook. These things are ridiculously powerful, have beautiful monitors, and are easily portable to boot. Attach a keyboard and monitor at home and you have a fully capable desktop machine; unplug said attachments and you've got solitaire on your bus commute or a DVD movie on the airplane.

The software issue is a bit more difficult, and is certainly the biggest sticking point toward switching from any platform. I was honestly surprised to hear about the Adobe cross grade; especially lately they've seemed to have their eye more on the bottom line than on customer relations. Conversely, the Macromedia offer wouldn't surprise me in the least, as that company has a long history of going out of their way for customer support. (Read a news story once about a man who lost his computer in a flood and submitted claims to all his software vendors, the logic being that since he had paid for the software license, and the software was rendered inoperable by an act of god, that they should replace the software for the cost of media and shipping. Macromedia quiclkly and entheuiastically agreed, and in fact were the only company to do so.) Office I'd be surprised to find a deal for at all, because Microsoft is concerned that it's not generating enough revenue.

That said...the question again becomes what you're going to do with it. There's a great article in the current issue of MacAddict that discusses low-cost alternatives to high-priced software packages. ThinkFree Office in particular is very viable, as it opens damn near all existing Office documents for 1/10th the price of Office itself. Unless you do a lot of CMYK work, The Gimp is a totally viable replacement for Photoshop; installing it is non-trivial, but in the process you'll learn a LOT about your new machine's capabilities. [Wink] VirtualPC works well as a way to keep all your PC software going until you can replace it with Mac-native equivelents; it's also indespensible for things that just have no Mac counterpart. It'll even piggyback of your Mac's Internet connection, so you've got full network capabilities without having to worry about knocking your Mac off the net with IP incompatibilities. (I use it frequently for creating 3D models of plants with a couple freeware applications, and for playing an online card game that has no Mac client.)

If you can give us a better idea of what you need to do, we can probably give you some more focused advice.

Akira, Mac lover since 1984, Mac user since 1992

Posts: 223 | From: LA LA land | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2002 10:20      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. Yes, I see your dilemma... which greedy, evil, multi-national, corporate behemoth to choose... tough one.

I could, of course, crassly suggest that you speak to a certain penguin... but that would be inappropriate - as I would just be trying to reach out and Tux someone. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2002 10:22      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i thought we were talking about macs, oh no, sorry, wrong website
Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2002 10:24      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:

Yes, I know which kind of macs you mean...

-

... ya dorty fecker!!!

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2002 10:52      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[IMG]C:\My Documents\Turkish colleagues from The Joke File.htm[/IMG]

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2002 10:56      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
damn it didn't work!!! how do you include a tiff file?

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2002 11:01      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:

Yes, I know which kind of macs you mean...

-

... ya dorty fecker!!!

hey, that's my dad you're taking the piss out of...

--------------------

iMat
Geek
Member # 1246

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted August 27, 2002 13:26      Profile for iMat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do like the TiBook, however, money is a big issue. I like the iBook, but then a G3 is already one generation behind. I know one thing now is that I'm most likely going to get a Mac, no matter how much software is going to cost, or I might just find alternatives to what I use.

As for the Mac, now all I have to do is choose a right one. I might wait for Macworld January for price drops or newer stuff (I think if Microsoft's TabletPC will work, Apple will follow, hint: Jaguar's Inkwell).

What do you all think of my idea of waiting.

One thig's for certain, its got to be portable.

--iMat

PS, please no more animated gifs of the sailor, it gets annoying.

Posts: 119 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
DesktopX
Geek-in-Training
Member # 650

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2002 15:35      Profile for DesktopX   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been looking into switching for the last couple month's too. I've also been looking at the portable option, as I think it's better to have a laptop and not need it, then to need a laptop and not have one.

I agree with your point iMat, in the fact that the iBook's G3 is a generation behinde, and it has made me consider the iMac more, because comming from the PC world, speed is all the rage [Wink]

--------------------
:: DX

Posts: 33 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bregalad
Assimilated
Member # 1054

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2002 22:19      Profile for Bregalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing about waiting is that there is always something better coming out "soon". I think the recent upgrade of the TiBook makes it a real winner. I don't expect to see anything but a speed bump on it in the next few months. Likewise with the iBook which I think is a great little portable for most people.

For those doing heavy lifting the TiBook is the only way to go. It sounds like you're prepared to wait for the next rev so do that. Then look at the specs of the new low end TiBook, compare that with the discontinued 800MHz model and make the jump.

I would not recommend the older, pre-DVI TiBooks because they're not all that fast, the screen is only moderate quality, the video circuits don't really support Quartz Extreme, they run much hotter and you'll wind up wanting to upgrade the hard drive right away.

Posts: 484 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
- - e r i k - -
Geek Larva
Member # 1517

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2002 00:44      Profile for - - e r i k - -   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kygeek:

Off topic but I read that URL as That Weak Show...
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2002 01:09      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh heh heh .... Dr. Evil -- a switcher. That's great !

I believe all new G4 Machines are Dual-Processor ($1699), so any tower model is pretty powerful (but not very portable).
http://www.apple.com/powermac/

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
kygeek
Mini Geek
Member # 1623

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2002 05:07      Profile for kygeek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
quote:
Originally posted by kygeek:

Off topic but I read that URL as That Weak Show...
Well the domain name was free (friend purchased it and then decided on another name), so i bound it to a ip.
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2002 22:17      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmm that reminds me of the tony soprano switch pic too bad i cant find it at the moment [Frown]

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture