homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Wil Wheaton

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wil Wheaton
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2001 19:44      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be one of the many who called for Wesley Crusher to be tossed into the nearest airlock without a suit and spaced. I also didn't particularly differentiate between the character and the actor, as I thought Wil's acting pretty much sucked in TNG. In recent months, however, I've been reading Wil Wheaton's web site and I rented Stand By Me and watched it. I've got to admit that I've come to respect him as an actor and as a geek a lot more than I used to.

(yes, this is a sucky confession, but the juicy ones aren't suitable for posting in public)

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
trowelblister
Geek
Member # 897

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2001 20:07      Profile for trowelblister   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always wanted his character to be transported just outside of 10-forward (the lounge) so everybody could watch him decompress.

I think I remember reading somewhere that he was also one of the digital toaster graphics programmers on Babylon 5.

Posts: 242 | From: lansdale, pa, usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jidabug
Geek
Member # 779

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2001 08:11      Profile for Jidabug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Steen. Since a friend of mine pointed me to his website about two months ago, I've read it pretty frequently, and I've reassessed my view of Wesley as a character, and of Wil Wheaton as an actor. He's a bona fide geek and a darn funny guy, I've highly enjoyed reading his blogs. Oh, and his spot on the Trek version of The Weakest Link was awesome.

------------------
We'll do it or we'll die trying...or try dying, or do some tie-dyeing! -Yakko Warner

Posts: 123 | From: No matter where I go, there I am. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tau Zero
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 195

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted December 19, 2001 09:04      Profile for Tau Zero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought that Wesley Crusher should have been killed off or otherwise gotten rid of almost immediately in the first season.  Not because of his acting or anything else, but because the writers were using him as the Incredibly Dumb Plot Device in nearly every episode and it was ruining the series (I quit watching it for the next two years).
Roceal
Geek
Member # 878

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted December 19, 2001 11:57      Profile for Roceal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto Steen and Jidabug. Wheaton's blog is a pleasure to read, and some of his observations about the character development of Wesley Crusher are really insightful (as in, "hey, gimme a break, I was 15 years old and I didn't have a lot of control over the writing there"). Love or hate the character, the actor is a pretty funny interesting guy and definitely a huge geek (he runs his own web site himself). Give him a read. I even have him linked from my own online journal. No, I was not paid to say any of that.
Posts: 159 | From: That place, you know, with the thing | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
theJacob
Geek
Member # 980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2001 13:41      Profile for theJacob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My parents liked Welsey Crusher. Even to the extent of naming my brother "Wesley".

I turned off the Trek Weakest Link at the end of the first round when the first bad joke (It was something like "Who isn't completly beamed up?" or something just as bad) came along.

------------------
Intellegnce+Laziness=Efficency

Posts: 141 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jidabug
Geek
Member # 779

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2001 18:33      Profile for Jidabug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tau Zero:
I always thought that Wesley Crusher should have been killed off or otherwise gotten rid of almost immediately in the first season.  Not because of his acting or anything else, but because the writers were using him as the Incredibly Dumb Plot Device in nearly every episode and it was ruining the series (I quit watching it for the next two years).

I quit watching TNG for a few years, too, but not because of Wesley. The episode with the alien parasite that takes over the higher-ups ("Conspiracy" I think it was called) totally turned me off. I have a severe aversion to any show that has alien thingies popping out of people. Perhaps it's a phobia, I dunno. Anyway, I only started watching again when BOBW, part 2 premiered.

Posts: 123 | From: No matter where I go, there I am. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roceal
Geek
Member # 878

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2001 10:33      Profile for Roceal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jidabug:
I quit watching TNG for a few years, too, but not because of Wesley. The episode with the alien parasite that takes over the higher-ups ("Conspiracy" I think it was called) totally turned me off.

<tangent>That was definitely a really really gross episode. Thinking about it makes my stomach turn. I don't blame you.</tangent>

Posts: 159 | From: That place, you know, with the thing | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angry Rooster
Assimilated
Member # 759

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted December 21, 2001 12:16      Profile for Angry Rooster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roceal:
</tangent>

Surely you realise you can never truly close a tangent.

------------------
--Angry Rooster
"Eagles may soar, but roosters don't get sucked into jet engines."

Posts: 376 | From: Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture