homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » real confession

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: real confession
nobody important/lurker
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2001 00:45            Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know what S.I. is? Does anybody have any (personal) experience with S.I.?
IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2001 08:01      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would help to put what context you are referring to.

SI could be anything: Silicon Implants, Stupid Idiot, Science Institute, etc.

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 12 posted December 13, 2001 18:33      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sports Illustrated........Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted December 14, 2001 07:38      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The International System of Units?
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
annie
Assimilated
Member # 909

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2001 12:44      Profile for annie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simply Irresistible?

I think what everyone is trying to say as that you should be a tad more specific because we have no idea what you're talking about.

------------------
the world will have to end someday; hopefully not while i'm around.

Posts: 391 | From: somewhere in Canada | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2001 13:37      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One more guess: Sexual Intercourse?
theJacob
Geek
Member # 980

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted December 14, 2001 20:27      Profile for theJacob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sensory Intergration? I have that. It's why I'm lazy, weak, slow and don't listen to people.

------------------
Intellegnce+Laziness=Efficency

Posts: 141 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
homesalad
Geek
Member # 938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2001 00:01      Profile for homesalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ZorroTheFox:
Sports Illustrated........Z

You're refering to the Swimsuit Issue, I presume?

Posts: 220 | From: On The Road... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2001 09:28      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
STOP it you guys!!!!!!!!!!
S. I. Is the standard measurement system of the world in Chemistry, Physics and General Science! THE INTERNATIONAL SYSTEM OF UNITS!!!!

HERE!

Base quantity Name Symbol
length meter m
mass kilogram kg
time second s
electric current ampere A
thermodynamic temperature kelvin K
amount of substance mole mol
luminous intensity candela cd

YES< I HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THEM!!!!!!

Posts: 904 | From: A Calculus book near you... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Megan
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2001 09:33            Edit/Delete Post 
After some searching I found...

The International System of Units (SI)
Smithsonian Institute
Si Spain
Silicon Si

Let us know what you mean, I'm sure it's not one of those.

IP: Logged
homesalad
Geek
Member # 938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2001 11:44      Profile for homesalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if it is the International System of Units that you're refering too, I am somewhat experienced in it. I do say that I prefer it to the Imperial system. Though the Imperial system is the Standard for boatbuilding, even in canada, and other places where they use metric. Weird, eh?
Posts: 220 | From: On The Road... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2001 20:51      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that is weird.
I like SI units. I like then so much that I've been gradually losing my ability to asscoiate the Fahrenheit scale with air and water temperatures.
I'm not sure why anyone would feel the need to make any confessions about SI. After all, most of the world using them, even the weird places where they drive on the lefthand side of the road!

<mind in gutter>
SI = simulated intercourse?
</mind in gutter>

------------------
Take by surprise and the world gives up resistance.
- Tennesee Williams

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
EngrBohn
Uber Geek
Member # 476

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2001 04:50      Profile for EngrBohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must confess -- even though I *prefer* SI (kms) units, I still *think* in U.S. units (not quite the same as Imperial units). When needing a quick conversion between thought and inputs/outputs (e.g., the feedback cycle of controlling speed while driving in a country that uses kph instead of mph), I have a slew of "close-enough-for-first-approximation" conversions that are easy to do in the head (e.g., kilometer = approx 3/5 mile; ergo, kph = approx 3/5 mph) in the time allotted.

I blame it on the principle of "make the common case fast" -- when I communicate with people, we're already both talking about something measured in SI, in which case I can think about the math instead of the physical aspect, or we're talking about something dealing with day-to-day life, and since that person is most likely to be talking U.S. units, it's a time saver if I'm already thinking in U.S. units instead of having to make the conversion from km to miles when asked how far away something is. Yeah, that's it. That's the reason.

------------------
cb
Oooh! What does this button do!?

Posts: 987 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
theJacob
Geek
Member # 980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2001 20:30      Profile for theJacob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The metric system never caught on in America, unless you count the incresing popularity of the 9 millimeter bullet"
-Dave Berry

------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2001 07:43      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to use metric units for small measurements and english units for the large ones. Not suprisingly, this confuses the heck out of people who have to work with me.
Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2001 08:20      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
I tend to use metric units for small measurements and english units for the large ones. Not suprisingly, this confuses the heck out of people who have to work with me.

Aha, so you were the culprit at NASA then.

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tau Zero
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 195

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2001 13:41      Profile for Tau Zero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a bunch of engineering handbooks which use mostly English units, but when I was crunching some numbers the other day (including my first-ever Reynolds number, because I didn't take any fluid dynamics in school) I found that I was converting everything to MKS for further analysis and back to English for "feel testing" after I had the final values.

Aside:  Did you know that viscosity has the units of force * time / length²?  That is just so weird.

ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 6 posted December 17, 2001 18:51      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by homesalad:
You're refering to the Swimsuit Issue, I presume?

Is there another? >;o) .........Z

Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
octothorp
Assimilated
Member # 339

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2001 09:24      Profile for octothorp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Steen, I tend to use metric units for small measurements and US units for large distances. The reason for this is that the farming grid where I grew up is set up in sections, or square miles, even though we officially use kilometers.

I also like the obscure measurement only used in newspaper layout (as far as I know) called a pica. You can get these kick-ass little metal rulers (called pica gauges) that have picas, inches and point-sizes, because in newspaper layout the standard is to measure column width in picas, column length in inches, and character and line height in pts.

ps. Note from personal experience: if you happen to go out and get a pica-gauge, please be aware that the little prongs on the top can puncture styrofoam, so do not tap your full cup of cafe latte with it while sitting at the front of a lecture hall in your photographic journalism course. It can lead to very embarrassing leaks.

#

Posts: 361 | From: calgary, alberta, canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2001 17:50      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wait until the person starting this thread comes back and says SI is something completely different.

heh.

theJacob
Geek
Member # 980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2001 19:37      Profile for theJacob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still think that it's sensory integration.

------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture