homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Your thoughts on Apple's iPod?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your thoughts on Apple's iPod?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted October 23, 2001 12:39      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering what you think of it.
http://www.apple.com/ipod/
Someone I just emailed refered to it as the iIcecreamSandwich.

The interface reminds me a lot of the killed-before-it-had-a-chance Kerbango Internet Radio...

Posts: 8181 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jidabug
Geek
Member # 779

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2001 14:13      Profile for Jidabug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I want one, of course, but my iBook doesn't have FireWire. We were really hoping it would have some Air Port connectivity. It's pretty much what I was looking for in an MP3 player, and synching to iTunes is nice.....

but I would hardly call it "groundbreaking".

------------------
-Jidabug.

Posts: 123 | From: No matter where I go, there I am. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted October 23, 2001 14:47      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking I'm the first online order... (Kept hitting refresh on the page and didn't bother to look at what I was purchasing as soon as it came up), WOOT! Oh well, I was hoping for Airport connectivity, but a firewire 5 gig HD, and MP3 player that syncs itself and is the size of a deck of cards (not to mention a 10 hour battery that recharges itself) counts as revolutionary in my book.. (I said the same about the Cube)

Kevin
--
Hopefully the first iPod online order!

Posts: 377 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 23, 2001 15:06      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought: is Chicago... is not Chicago?... Yup, it's Chicago all right! Do you think it really is running System 6.0.8 (on an embedded 68000 I guess), or does it just look that way?

Anyway, yes I do want one.

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
sniper
Mini Geek
Member # 904

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2001 16:04      Profile for sniper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
holy jumpin! i've been holding off on an mp3 player for a long time, but no more. i'm getting an ipod!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ti:
[B]counts as revolutionary in my book.. (I said the same about the Cube)

the cube was revolutionary. it just wasn't powerful enough.

-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 5 posted October 23, 2001 17:22      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
make it able to connect to a windoze PC, and cut the cost in half, i *might* think about it

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Orbhead
Geek
Member # 608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2001 18:40      Profile for Orbhead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes sir, I think I like it!

All except for the $740 CDN after taxes you can expect to pay for it. Damn, I can build my own linux box for less than that.

Posts: 162 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2001 01:34      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pas mal, but not yet available out here. Price seems a bit steep, so will have to make a decision when I find out the cost.

On the other hand, my parents did ask me what I wanted for Christmas .

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
trowelblister
Geek
Member # 897

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted October 24, 2001 05:39      Profile for trowelblister   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it looks like a hipper-designed version of the Archos mp3 player-hard drive thingy, which you could stun a water buffalo with. i think the prices of the two gagdets are comparable, but the ipod does the cool itunes-thingy and seems a bit less obtrusive.

neato!!! but how many more gagdets do i need ,or more to the point, can I afford??

i still want it

Posts: 242 | From: lansdale, pa, usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2001 05:57      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by nekomatic:
Do you think it really is running System 6.0.8 (on an embedded 68000 I guess), or does it just look that way?

That'd have to be one hella zippy 68000! I think there is an embedded PowerPC instead, which would have the horsepower to decode MP3s in realtime.

The 25MHz 68040 in my Amiga 4000 could decode MP3s half as fast as necessary at low quality. If I set the decode buffer to half the song length, it would empty right about at the end of the song.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2001 06:53      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am underwhelmed, in fact barely whelmed at all. But, just because I was expecting a Palm-sized Newton replacement with wireless sync and internet access. .

OTOH, if you really look at this thing and what it does, it's a great thing for Apple's users... Like Phil Schiller and Jonathan Ives said, it's the kind of thing that only Apple can do, bringing all the pieces together in a really synergistic way...

Based on that, I can't wait for the iPad

Meanwhile, back in reality, I think the iPod is a little pricey, and has a silly name.

I will, of course, order one immediately!

--bd

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dahak
Mini Geek
Member # 957

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2001 10:40      Profile for Dahak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
iPod is a seriously great product with a seriously insane price tag. $399 for an MP3 player? I'd shell out $250 - $299 for it because it is nice and exactly what I've been looking for in a MP3 player (plus portable hard drive) but I have severe problems with paying more for iPod than I paid for my Handspring Visor which does everything except play music.

At $199 - $250, I would have been one of the first in line to preorder. Maybe in a year or so. :-)

------------------
Once is accident, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action - although to a paranoid, "accident" and "coincidence" are euphemisms for enemy action.

Posts: 53 | From: Royersford, PA, United States | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2001 10:57      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dahak:
$399 for an MP3 player?

More specifically 399 for a MP3 player/5 gig firewire HD, comparable firewire hardrives (1.8") are about $350, so your really only paying $50 for the MP3 player and the LCD screen, and the cool shell :-)

Heck, the idea alone of using it as a portable system is cool, put a System Folder on it and all your favorite Apps, and then when you go to the lab, just hook it up and boot off the drive.. (from what I've heard it can be done, but you know how we all feel about rumors right about now)

I've still been trying to confirm that I was the first online order for this thing :-)

Kevin
--
Heck, it's not an iWalk but it'll do :-)

Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2001 10:58      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by tafkact:
make it able to connect to a windoze PC, and cut the cost in half, i *might* think about it

It can. As long as they've got Firewire.. No MP3 players announce support just yet but you can still use it in disk mode.

Kevin
--
Dig that spool, DONGLE!

mr100percent
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2001 15:48            Edit/Delete Post 
Apple said they are considering making some windows software for it.

I don't think the name is that great, and the price is as much/more than a TiVO. Hmmm...what to get for christmas? Probably an iPod

IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 24, 2001 19:35      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. A bit of a let down, really. Seems that it got way too much hype to just be an mp3 player. A lot of people are going to be irritated by this.

2. As far as mp3 players go, it is kick ass though. Yes, it is a bit more expensive than most others, but it is most likely worth every monetary unit.

3. I've never been in the market for an mp3 player. I don't listen to much music. However, if I did and had the money, I'd be all over it.

4. The name is a bit silly. When I saw "iPod" and "iWalk" on whatever rumour sites had them, I thought the names sounded a bit like all the other made up rumour devices we've seen over the years. When I first saw it, I figured Apple had run out of ideas and had scoured the old rumours for a name.

Overall, a bit anticlimactic, but a good job nonetheless. I really do wish Apple would stop using the terms "breakthrough" and "revolutionary" quite so liberally. When the colonies broke away from Britain, that was revolutionary. The telephone was a breakthrough. The iPod, while quite nice, is merely evolutionary.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Greg Wooledge
Alpha Geek
Member # 165

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted October 25, 2001 06:09      Profile for Greg Wooledge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It needs Ogg Vorbis support (or a way for hackers to add such support themselves). We need to know what CPU is in it. It needs to be able to talk to something other than MacOS/Applehardware. And it needs a price reduction.
Posts: 256 | From: Lorain, OH, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 28, 2001 04:13      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I like the looks of it. However, it reminds me of a Gas Turbine Powered Motorcycle that was featured in Popular Mechanics.

... Beautiful, Well-Engineered, and Powerful (but a bit out of my price range).

I have a RioVolt (CD based MP3 Player, about $170). Although it has a couple of "quirks" (probably something about irregularities on burned CD's or encoding - occasionally a song will mess up, but play fine on second try), it works.

(I should post that article on the Jet Powered Motorcycle .....

------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2001 05:23            Edit/Delete Post 
Apple's site also says:

Who knows, you might also find yourself storing documents, files and applications on your iPod in FireWire disk mode.

And dont forget that it recharges itself from the firewire connection.

IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2001 15:39      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rednivek wrote:
And dont forget that it recharges itself from the firewire connection.

I hope you can disable that feature... that would suck if you wanted to use it as a second hard drive with a laptop that wasn't plugged in.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2001 07:44      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Wooledge:
It needs Ogg Vorbis support

Apple says:
Upgradable firmware enables support for future audio formats

So it's in the wings.. Ogg Vorbis is a cool format no doubt, however not widely accepted enough for version 1 release :-)

Kevin
--
Who in his spare time doubles as a Superhero and saves the free world.

littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2001 03:38      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I want one, but not at that price. Actually, I'm new here and just want to see what kind of geek stars I get.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture