homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Help me boys?! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Help me boys?!
Rednivek
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2001 08:27            Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like you've already figured out how to get the attention of a bunch of geeks.

IP: Logged
misty
Geek-in-Training
Member # 921

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2001 15:22      Profile for misty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
O.K. I do not wear sunglasses at night. I was just being silly. It actually did come out right. I liked the way it sounded. "I wear sunglasses and only at night." Yeah, it's not really funny, but it sounds funny. Say it ... go ahead ... nevermind. Mmmm, I can be a bit weird sometimes. It's O.K. I only wear sunglasses during the day. Sunglasses are cool, but not at night or indoors.

Well, I was all prepped last night, but it ended up being too busy for me to do anything effective pertaining to this. I did get a few good smiles/compliments out (with red cheeks) early on, but was unable to follow up later. Maybe tonight.

I am overwhelmed with the responses I have gotten here. You all are really and truley an amazing group of people. I have more of a response to the recent posts, but I must go color my hair and paint my nails because I have bills to pay.

Thanks and smile.

P.S. You do know that there are tons of girls out there that have the same dilemma as I, don't you?

Posts: 30 | From: U.S.ofA. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
misty
Geek-in-Training
Member # 921

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted October 06, 2001 15:34      Profile for misty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone wants to e-mail me .... I like e-mail.
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 06, 2001 17:41      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might try seeing if any of us live somewhere nearby you. Since you've already introduced yourself, I'm sure any of us love deprived socially inept geeks would be willing to help you with any of your computer problems. Especially Linux, or any other Unix you might like.

/me winks at SupportGoddess

I'll be the first to say I'm a complete social idiot. Geek guys often just don't know what to do with ourselves even if we know of a potential geek babe. Just the other day while waiting for chem lab to start I overheard an attractive sophmore telling her friend how she changed her major from Business Computer Science to Computer Engineering because she didn't like the business classes and prefered tinkering with computers. I just sort of froze up while I tried to determine the best possible way to draw her attention or start a conversation, but it just wouldn't come. No basis for speaking with her other than, "Hey, so you're a computer engineer. Uh, neat. Me too." Basically, I figured that any attractive fem in Computer Engineering would already be spoken for or would for some other reason be uninterested. Damn.

Oh well, being single isn't so bad.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2001 18:53      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by misty:
Sunglasses are cool, but not at night or indoors.

Ah, but they do help with monitor glare. So indoors is OK. They also help keep the fearsome corporate flourescents at bay until after the coffee kicks in.

quote:
I must go color my hair and paint my nails because I have bills to pay.

I must have missed it... what on earth kind of job makes you paint your nails and color your hair? Is that even legal?

Of course, I'm assuming that you meant you have to do it for your job, as opposed to just doing your hair and nails to pay the bills. But I could be wrong.

------------------
Nice computers don't go down...

Posts: 1150 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angry Rooster
Assimilated
Member # 759

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2001 21:04      Profile for Angry Rooster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SupportGoddess:
Ah, but they do help with monitor glare. So indoors is OK. They also help keep the fearsome corporate flourescents at bay until after the coffee kicks in.

I would add that movie theaters are also an acceptable place to bring sunglasses, anyone who saw "Mission to Mars" on the big screen will attest to this.

------------------
--Angry Rooster
"Eagles may soar, but roosters don't get sucked into jet engines."

Posts: 376 | From: Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Holliday
Highlie
Member # 598

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2001 21:33      Profile for Doc Holliday   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lex:
You might try seeing if any of us live somewhere nearby you. Since you've already introduced yourself, I'm sure any of us love deprived socially inept geeks would be willing to help you with any of your computer problems. Especially Linux, or any other Unix you might like.

That's a good idea.

Posts: 517 | From: I'm right behind you!!! | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanoxt R'rilander
Alpha Geek
Member # 890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2001 14:15      Profile for Xanoxt R'rilander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I only wear sunglasses and only at night.

I had some sunglasses that were not goot to be worn during the day. Heh, the even enchanced the light at night, while being just two pieces of blackened glass or plastic in a sunglass frame...

------------------
Be afraid. Be very, very afraid!

Posts: 319 | From: Moscow, Russia, Earth | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
MrJ
Geek-in-Training
Member # 730

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2001 15:04      Profile for MrJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then in the grocery store I see this super cute "smart looking" guy.

What makes him smart looking? I don't notice people as smart looking. They usually fall into average/nothing special or dumb looking categories. They have to open their mouths first to be smart to me. Unless they have something on a shirt they're wearing that shares a common interest. And "super cute" to me would be a very rare combination.

I turn around and totally get caught eyeing him as I catch him eyeing me. I am so lame.

Let's pretend this happened to me for a moment: There's that cute girl again. She's looking this way... am I blocking a sign? Maybe she's really looking at me, am I bleeding from the head or something? Better look away before I creep her out. *Resume shopping* I wish it were more, but it's probably nothing. I've been staring at this shelf for a while now I should pick something up and move on...

This is not lame, but for someone like myself there's no message delivered. I'd think I was probably standing in front of something you were looking for. I don't get any comments on my appearance outside of family, so I really don't expect anything from it. Nor do I get any other kind of interest. If a girl looks at me or in my direction I'll think nothing of it. If she noticeably smiles at me I'll try for a smile back, if my facial muscles are not paralyzed by the surprise. If she says "Hi" I will definitely say "Hi" back but I'm very quiet especially when nervous. I'll probably wonder about the encounter for a several days, but otherwise no additional response or effort toward conversation. Also I can't assume anything in common with the person, everyone has to eat and show up at the grocery store some time or another, I wouldn't think it worth the effort to meet them anyway.

Could somebody pleas help me translate this into symbolic form using capital letters to represent affirmative English statements?

Doesn't sound like anything I've ever done before. Do you at least have a correct example?

Posts: 35 | From: near Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
MrJ
Geek-in-Training
Member # 730

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2001 15:20      Profile for MrJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well since nobody wants to help me with my Logic homework would somebody be so kind as to tell me what Linux is?

This is a good place to start, if you understand the basics of computers:
http://www.linux.org/info/index.html

Otherwise feel free to ask specific questions.

As for the shirt thing, I would think negatively of someone wearing a Linux/BSD shirt without being able to explain what it is. While the shirt would get my initial attention, such an encounter would quickly lose it. I would be willing to teach someone about Linux (or the less I know of BSD) even if they didn't know much about computers as long as I could tell they were truly interested. However, if they couldn't give me a good reason why they were already wearing a Linux/BSD shirt I would be very put off.

Posts: 35 | From: near Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 08, 2001 06:31      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SupportGoddess:
I must have missed it... what on earth kind of job makes you paint your nails and color your hair? Is that even legal?

I think she meant as a displacement activity.

My bathroom needs cleaning... hmm, I must make a pot of coffee, do some web surfing, scan my bookshelves for a novel to re-read...

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
kimbrosan
Geek
Member # 596

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2001 11:28      Profile for kimbrosan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrJ:

As for the shirt thing, I would think negatively of someone wearing a Linux/BSD shirt without being able to explain what it is. While the shirt would get my initial attention, such an encounter would quickly lose it. I would be willing to teach someone about Linux (or the less I know of BSD) even if they didn't know much about computers as long as I could tell they were truly interested. However, if they couldn't give me a good reason why they were already wearing a Linux/BSD shirt I would be very put off.

Uh huh. Besides, I'd be more attracted -- check that, I am more attracted to people who wear their passions on their sleeves. You know? Being absolutely true to whatever passion(s) you have is job one.

As for a non-neurotic, one hundred percent sane geek, you're pretty much out of luck. With passion comes inscrutability, purposefully or no.

Oh, and if you really want to know more about *nix, you can find copies of the Unix Bible around the net. (It's terribly dorky.)The caretakers of this board would love for you to read The Joy of Linux as well. Better writing in that as well as snazzy pictures.

Posts: 144 | From: Below the Mason-Dixon, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2001 18:44            Edit/Delete Post 
Reverend Misty....

Thanks for telling us what we want so badly to believe..... do you have any Grape Koolaid? I want to drink it!

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2001 18:53      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'misty' wrote:
I must go color my hair and paint my nails because I have bills to pay.

To which SupportGoddess asked:

I can think of a few jobs that would require such attention to appearance. Models, beauticians and prostitutes for instance.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2001 18:58            Edit/Delete Post 
Transvestite entertainers in the far-off-Broadway review...

misty
Geek-in-Training
Member # 921

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2001 21:57      Profile for misty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhh, work is done. No luck, but I feel as if I have a better understanding which will hopefully boost my confidence in the longterm ... with some practice . The response to my post has been awesome and it is appreciated. I do think though, that perhaps a few people have misunderstood my intentions. In fear of that possibility I would like to clarify a bit. I am not a "geek" in the sense that it is used here and I am not trying to pass myself off as one. I am just me. I know very little about computers (yep, I have a Mac). I am a relatively intelligent girl and enjoy mathematics and am an avid reader, but my path in life has taken me on a different road. I am "absolutely true to whatever passions I have". I am a Sociology major and enjoy the work I do. I'm sure everyone knows how social service-type work pays. Which is where the nails and hair come in. My paying job allows for my work minus the stress. Weekends: hair+nails+fantastic outfit+a good make-up job = TIPS. Weekdays: school and volunteer work. I love what I do and find great joy in my field, BUT I love intelligent people. I like intelligent men. O.K, so now I'm back to my original post.

*I would only wear a Linux/BSD shirt if it was super duper cute, easily aquired, and only for the purpose of possibly having smart guys ask me about it. I would not lie if asked, but it doesn't matter because I don't have one.

Well, I have homework. I appreciate all the responses.

cheers and smiles

P.S. Thanks for the Linux link. Ummmmm, I sort of understand what it is, but it's way over my head. Hee, I can't even figure out how to download Yahoo! messenger right.

*Grape Koolaid is not caffienated. I have none.

SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2001 00:43      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many different kinds of geeks, i'm sure you've read some of the other threads here.

I would recommend definitely staying away from wearing apparel advertising an interest in something you don't actually care about. It smacks of false representation. If you are wearing a tux tshirt, you may have a guy come up to you and start talking to you about it, but if he asks a question like "what distro do you use?" and you say "oh, i don't. I just wear this to pick up guys." He will probably lose interest. He wasn't attracted to your looks.

If you are into math, you might want to check thinkgeek... (Im starting to sound like an advertisement tonight.. sheesh ) they had a "don't drink and derive" button, they may have some math oriented t shirts as well. Find something that says something about who *you* are.

------------------
Nice computers don't go down...

Posts: 1150 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angry Rooster
Assimilated
Member # 759

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2001 01:10      Profile for Angry Rooster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*I would only wear a Linux/BSD shirt if it was super duper cute, easily aquired, and only for the purpose of possibly having smart guys ask me about it. I would not lie if asked, but it doesn't matter because I don't have one.

Err, even if it is "super duper cute" if you don't know about it you really shouldn't wear the shirt...

If I saw someone (either gender) wearing a linux shirt, I would approach them, if they didn't know anything about the subject of their garment I would be deeply put off, and have a lower opinion of them than I did before. So although you may attract them at first, once they find out the reason they approached you (the shirt) is a subject you don't know about, they'll be out of that conversation pretty fast...

Secondly, any guy who would be impressed by how "super duper cute" the shirt was, and not care that you didn't know what linux was, would probably not be of the smart variety you're looking for, and more of the stalking variety you've managed to attract already...

In short, if you want to attract a smart guy, go with a shirt themed to an interesting subject you know about (it doesn't even need to be "super duper cute" geeks tend to care less about appearance and more about content, hell look at linux, CLI's sure aren't "super duper cute" but oh the power...), or even a plain shirt ("super duper cute" or not), but you should definitely avoid shirts whose meaning is lost on you, especially if fishing for the more intelligent men...

On the flip side, you can perfectly well still use this information to your advantage, if you're interested in the guys who like this kind of stuff, start looking for guys wearing the insignia. This will work a lot better and also allow you to do the approaching, something most geek guys appreciate

------------------
--Angry Rooster
"Eagles may soar, but roosters don't get sucked into bad conversation."

Posts: 376 | From: Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2001 06:56      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

*Grape Koolaid is not caffienated. I have none. [/B]

Purple Koolaid refers to the Jonestown, Guyana incident where the entire Jones cult used purple Koolaid laced with cyanide--presumably to hide the taste--on themselves after murdering a US Congressman (or was it a Senator?) at the end of the seventies. Those who refused to drink were shot.

Why that line was thrown into the past postings, I don't know.

Perhaps he/she thinks we're starting a cult of Misty?

(Hmmm...a cult that forces people to paint their nails, have beautifully colored and coiffed hair and generally look pretty good, if not their best. Truly frightening!)

BTW, Misty, you now have some source for an experiment on geek responses--You can duplicate this simply by walking into a group of geeks and shouting "SEX!" and then observe the reactions.

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
chromatic
Geek
Member # 164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2001 09:04      Profile for chromatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LifetimeTrekker:
BTW, Misty, you now have some source for an experiment on geek responses--You can duplicate this simply by walking into a group of geeks and shouting "SEX!" and then observe the reactions.

(Dunno where my response went last time, but it was certainly missing today.)

I can only imagine what *that* experiment will achieve: a bunch of scared looking geeks who suddenly take off running!

Posts: 223 | From: Squeaky First Geek House | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2001 15:54            Edit/Delete Post 
What was the name of the Apple TV Ad which appeared the next year after "1984"? Thats my point...

The other thing is.... I'm getting nervous seeing people telling Mystery Misty not to blaspheme a Linux shirt by wearing it without knowing how to rebuild a kernel....

BTW, there's also nothing hotter than a hot woman who gets hot over the geeks who know which decimal address to poke a value into to change the background color of a C64 with its hot power supply.... its almost fantasy fodder in its hotaliciousness!

misty
Geek-in-Training
Member # 921

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2001 17:37      Profile for misty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how I can be more clear about this wierd shirt issue. I'm not going to buy a shirt. I don't want a shirt. Somebody made a comment that wearing a Linux/BSD shirt would get his attention. I made a joke about it. I thought it was funny seeing that I made quite clear, in the same post I believe, that I am clueless about Linux/BSD. I guess it wasn't funny. That's O.K.

Cropped tanktop in x-small bearing the logo of Linux/BSD or something else along those lines is funny to me because it plays upon the reality of what people think and assume about women who have found themselves with what society has determined to be "good looks".

(cough) "Super duper cute" is also a joke. Ummm, yeah, like, oh my god dude, I don't REALLY think that you really think that I would wear a shirt like that, I mean unless it was, like, REALLY super duper cute, and easy to find, and like anywaaaaaaays, I would ONLY be wearing it to, like you know, attract cute geek boys ... or wait, like, do you?

/giggles and bats her eyelashes

So, I am going to try to be brave with some of the advice I have been given. It's a daunting prospect out in the big mean world, but I'm up for the task. Of course, if all else fails I could just buy a shirt.

cheers

P.S. It was Congressman Leo Ryan. Thanks for the information, but I understood the reference initially. I'm sorry you didn't catch the humor in my response.

BTW: Misty's Temple is now accepting applications.

Drasca
Assimilated
Member # 276

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2001 21:04      Profile for Drasca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

BTW: Misty's Temple is now accepting applications.

*sees a sign that says: You will receive a response within 6-8 weeks.

Sounds reasonable to me!

-Drasca

Posts: 400 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GabrielX
Discontinued

Icon 12 posted October 13, 2001 12:18            Edit/Delete Post 
Ahem...

This topic was fantabulous! I just heard about this site and thought I should give it a go, and right away I find something interesting...

Since I have a face for radio, I thought I should dive right in... :-)

Here's my problem:
I couldn't tell if a girl is interested in me, even if she had a big sign saying: "I really, really like you alot!". I think this goes for a lot of people and that it can be very, very hard to spot it. Some people knows it right away and for them this topic should be watched and maybe we could attract some people with some "knowhow"? :-)

It usually boils down to this:
Attractive == secure in themselves when it comes to attraction value
Face for radio == non-secure when it comes to attraction value.

Of course some people has it both, but like ol' Bigfoot - everyone has heard about it but never seen one.

WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2001 14:54      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll spare MrJ all of the quotes, and simply say: Wow, that sounds too darned familiar.

When I commute (2 hrs a day) I tend to look at the people in the other cars, wondering how life treats them. Once or twice I saw someone look back, and I tried to smile.

Pathetic, isn't it? If I saw an attractive woman in a grocery store, and she smiled at me, I'd probably drop something from shock.

-WS

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture