homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Monitor settings in Mandrake 8.0

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Monitor settings in Mandrake 8.0
Orbhead
Geek
Member # 608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2001 11:51      Profile for Orbhead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, this Mac geek here tried to install the Mandrake distro on an old Pentium 75. It has a 1MB Cirrus Logic videocard soldered onto the motherboard, and it's driving a 14" Packard Bell Monitor. All is well until X Windows boots up (I am booting into Gnome). Everything is all crazy (ghosting, squished screen serious flicker), and I can't seem to change the settings. The resolution and refresh rate were all wrong on the install, and I didn't have the chance to test different configs. What are my options here? I'd hate to have to try the install again, it took an hour (Pentium 75 you know)

Ack!

Posts: 162 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2001 14:15      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Drop to a VT and run xfree86config or XFree86Setup or whatever they call it these days and select the proper video configuration. The graphical version of the configurator is prefered.
Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Orbhead
Geek
Member # 608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2001 19:42      Profile for Orbhead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply! I Had no idea what you were talking about, so i was just going to redo a clean install. I figured I would run a whereis xfree86setup and config, but no such luck. The I did a whereis drakfloppy to make a bootable floppy, and after telling me where it was, I figured I would go to that directory to have a look. Low and behold was xf86config, so I ran that. Woohoo! Did all the stuff to make it work, and nada. Still didn't work. I logged back out of Gnome and into KDE, and I was magically able to reach parts of the screen that I couldn't with Gnome, so I went ahead and changed my settings. I played around a bit, and nothing worked for me. I did manage to get the screen to a useable state with one setting though.

So... here is my new question. I am using Mandrak 8.0, have a 1MB Cirrus Logic GD5434 Video Card and a Packard Bell 1512 SL ( the specs for this monitor are found at http://j23456.50megs.com/pb/monitors/1511MAIN.ASP.htm ), and since Packard Bell went out of business in January 2000, they didn't include any monitor settings in the brand new Mandrake distro, and none of the generic options are working. Shy of buying a new monitor, what are my options here?

Thanks for the info Lex. :-)
(I am actually posting this from the semi-useable state KDE is in right now.)

Posts: 162 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2001 07:08      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you try running DrakConfig (or whatever it be called these days) from inside X-Windows? Also remember that Linux's filesystem is case sensitive, so typing drakconfig or xfree86setup on a the cli is totally different than typing DrakConfig or XFree86Setup.

As far as your monitor and video card go, don't expect great things out of them. You most likely can't get 1024x768 out of it, although you might be able to get 800x600. Probably 256 colors. These days GNOME and KDE are designed to work best on displays that do at least 1024 and with a good amount of color. Have you considered becoming good friends with bash, lynx, et al?

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Greg Wooledge
Alpha Geek
Member # 165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2001 10:24      Profile for Greg Wooledge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check Xfree86.org for your video card, to see what version(s) of X support it.

You can get more info on your video card by running the SuperProbe command (yes, it's really written in MixedCase).

The xf86config and XF86Setup commands are really meant for XFree86 3.x. For XFree86 4.x (which is what Orbhead's probably trying to use), you need to use XFree86 -configure (or whatever tools your Linux distribution provides). E.g., for Debian unstable, it would be "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86".

Posts: 256 | From: Lorain, OH, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture