homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » What do geeks eat? (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What do geeks eat?
Angry Rooster
Assimilated
Member # 759

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2001 20:57      Profile for Angry Rooster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptorgirl:
Chicken. I eat chicken. Many birds have died for me. I feel mildly guilty about this.

You monster!!! sorry... I've grown attached to this nickname

------------------
--Angry Rooster
"Eagles may soar, but roosters don't get sucked into jet engines."

Posts: 376 | From: Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2001 02:54      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I love cooking though ... tonight I made pork chops, homemade mashed potato's and corn on the cob. Yesterday I made a teryaki veggie stirfry over white rice ...Yum!

It's too bad I only cook for one.

I hate cooking Diva, so if you want to cook for me I will not complain . That teriyaki veggie stirfry sounds yummy.

Of course, getting the food across the Pond might cause a few problems.

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Roceal
Geek
Member # 878

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2001 10:49      Profile for Roceal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LifetimeTrekker:
I love mushrooms. (In the market I frequent, there are several varieties, but it's the oysters and portobello I love the best.)

Mmmmm... I have friends who can't stand mushrooms, but fungus is one of my favorite types of organism to eat. Portobello are definitely tasty, and I can get them just about any time of year from my supermarket, even if they are a bit pricey. I love brushing them with soy sauce or teriyaki and grilling them. Served over rice... ::droooool::

Posts: 159 | From: That place, you know, with the thing | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
DivaGeek
Geek
Member # 901

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2001 16:30      Profile for DivaGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary:
[QUOTE]

I hate cooking Diva, so if you want to cook for me I will not complain . That teriyaki veggie stirfry sounds yummy.

Of course, getting the food across the Pond might cause a few problems.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. I have tried e-mailing food before, but it always gets smooshed when I put it in the CD-Rom!

How about snail mail?!?!

Posts: 142 | From: The city by that great big dead lake | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 10, 2001 02:17      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure about snail mail, if it is as good as it sounds, it will get eaten before it gets here.
If ever, I will supply the ingredients, all you will have to do is supply the cook .

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2001 07:11      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DivaGeek:
Hmmm. I have tried e-mailing food before, but it always gets smooshed when I put it in the CD-Rom!

How about snail mail?!?!

Don't smoosh it into the CD-Rom! The CD-Rom is still useful.

Instead smoosh it into the 5 1/4" floppy disc slot! (True, it's slow and doesn't hold much, but, unless you have an 8" floppy drive hidden somewhere, the only programs you'll find on those floppies are already posted on the net for free. )

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
DivaGeek
Geek
Member # 901

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2001 08:41      Profile for DivaGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LifetimeTrekker:
Don't smoosh it into the CD-Rom! The CD-Rom is still useful.

Instead smoosh it into the 5 1/4" floppy disc slot!

Too late. I wish you had given me this advice a month ago! (LOL)

I don't have a 5 1/5 floppy! (See my post on "What kind of computer do you drive for more info)

...But I do think I have one around here somewhere. Hmmm... maybe if I installed that, I could smoosh more food into my computer! ...Nah it already smells an omlette left in the sun for 2 weeks.

Posts: 142 | From: The city by that great big dead lake | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
DUCT TAPE
Geek
Member # 887

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2001 16:20      Profile for DUCT TAPE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i eat bad cafateria food
aramark is not good
the best food is the food that people from home send

Posts: 120 | From: under the frozen land of snow and ice | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
e-Grog
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 956

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted October 28, 2001 09:10      Profile for e-Grog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do Geeks eat? Hmmm -> this particular geek actually enjoys cooking. Consequently, my eating habits tend to cross a lot of cultures - predominantly mediterranean and middle eastern, with a bit of Asian thrown in for variety.

Ever since my ex discovered a near fatal allergy to nuts {and I seem to have a similar sensitivity), the list of restaurants I trust has gotten very, very small. {There's lots of good restaurants around, but very few that are careful enough in their kitchens to guarantee that no nut contact occurs}

Anyhow - cooking's a bit of a hobby for me, and my tastes range all over the world. {Sadly, my travel budget doesn't...}

Grog...

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2001 09:46      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DUCT TAPE:
i eat bad cafateria food
aramark is not good
the best food is the food that people from home send

You have Aramark too?
My heart would bleed for you if my lunch weren't giving me heartburn. Someone needs to explain to these people that salt is not a spice!

------------------
Take by surprise and the world gives up resistance.
- Tennesee Williams

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2001 22:10      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um...food....let's see.

Lots of pasta/macaroni. Usually Mac-Cheese, canned soup (whatever brand is on sale), oh, Meijer's canned Chilli (actually a store brand of Hormel, but $2 cheaper) (oh, so many great big hunks of ground beef!). I like spaghetti, sometimes I make my own sauce so I can let it boil down for a few hours and get real thick (or if I really am craving my oregano), but usually sauce from a can. I also make Macaroni and Hot Dogs and Cheese (kinda' a personal fave), sometimes I forgo the cheese for some pasta sauce or stewed tomatoes (it's better for me that way ).

Let's see, out of the pasta rhelm, tuna, toast, cereal (Cheerios, my fave!!!), a good ol' juicy big honkin' slab of cow on a bun (MAJOR YUM!) espically grilled, Dominos Pizza or Little Cezers is cheaper, eggs, lots of eggs, cookies!, chips, pretzles, PB&J, PB&Butter(&J), Ice cream!, grilled cheese, pancakes, french toast, oatmeal (quick-oats (who has 3 minutes to wait for oatmeal?)), did I mention cookies?...

Oh yeah, and, once in a while I feel like making something special, so I head over to www.cookingbynumbers.com (that's assuming they still exist). Pretty cool site, you tell them what's in your kitchen, they tell you what you can cook with it, now THAT'S the real power of the internet (and a real geeky way to do some real cooking).

Oh yeah, almost forgot, coffeé, strong, lots of it, with sugar and milk (preferably Starbucks, usually Maxwell House or, even cheaper, Meijer).

------------------
--
KK (a.k.a. The MacMan)
Proud to be Microsoft Free!
"If it doesn't say 'Microsoft' it must be better!"
The Man's Prayer -- "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2001 15:12      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My diet is usually:

Lunch or Supper
boiled shrimp, crawfish or crabs
raw oysters or fried oyster poboy
fried catfish with white beans and rice. grilled redfish
gumbo, chicken and sausage or shrimp crab and oyster
stews, beef, chicken, shrimp or crawfish. spagetti, beef or chicken.
red beans and rice.
chilli
tuna salad or chicken salad

Breakfast
eggs and sausage
biscuits
cinnamon rolls

If I get fast food, it is usually Subway.

------------------
CrawGator

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. Douglas Adams Mostly Harmless

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted October 30, 2001 17:22      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CrawGator:

boiled shrimp, crawfish or crabs
raw oysters or fried oyster poboy
fried catfish with white beans and rice. grilled redfish
gumbo, chicken and sausage or shrimp crab and oyster
stews, beef, chicken, shrimp or crawfish. spagetti, beef or chicken.
red beans and rice.

Oh man, that's great. Memories of my one and only trip to the Crescent City.

Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted November 02, 2001 13:50      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CrawGator's Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

1/2 cup cooking oil & 1/2 cup of flour
1 cup of chopped onion
3/4 cup of chopped bell pepper
3/4 cup of chopped celery
2-1/2 tablespoons of garlic
1 can of chicken stock
3 pounds of chicken deboned
1 pound of smoked sausage

salt, pepper (red and/or black), celery powder, file (sasafrass)

Put chicken in pot of water and let it boil.
In a frying pan cook your sausage a bit to help bring out the flavor.
Mix the oil and flour in a large stock pot to make a roux and turn on hi.
Stir to keep it from sticking and burning.
Cook it until it's a dark brown (between caramel and chocolate).
Add onion, bell pepper celery and garlic. turn heat down just a bit (about 6 or 7). Cook until the onions are looking clear.
When chicken is done, take out of pot and cut up into chunks.
Add water used for chicken into large pot with roux and vegtable season mix.
Add can of chicken stock, chicken and sausage, to the stock pot.
Add water so that the liquid has a light milky brown/green look.
Add salt, pepper, celery powder and file to taste.
Let it simmer for about 1-1/2 hours.

Serve over rice.

If you live alone you might want to cut the recipe in half. When I cook, I make enough to last a few meals and freeze some for later.

------------------
CrawGator

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. Douglas Adams Mostly Harmless

quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2001 15:01      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CrawGator: The Gumbo sounds great. I'll have to try. Or course, you should be using Anduille rather than plain old smoked sausage, but I won't hold it against you.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted November 05, 2001 12:25      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
CrawGator: The Gumbo sounds great. I'll have to try. Or course, you should be using Anduille rather than plain old smoked sausage, but I won't hold it against you.

I do use it sometimes, depends on if I feel like splurging. It is a little more expensive than regular sausage.

------------------
CrawGator

quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2001 12:56      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CrawGator:
I do use it (anduille) sometimes, depends on if I feel like splurging. It is a little more expensive than regular sausage.

Life is too short to drink cheap wine. If I'm going to wear it around my middle for the rest of my life, I might as well fully enjoy the taste.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2001 17:30      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I eat gum and Pesto! MMMMMMmmmmmm. Anyone else here lke Pesto!?!?!
Posts: 904 | From: A Calculus book near you... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted November 06, 2001 17:32      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also like Sushi
Posts: 904 | From: A Calculus book near you... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted November 06, 2001 17:35      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will eat ANY kind of Chicken!!!!
(except if it's raw)

voice-
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 975

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted November 18, 2001 23:03      Profile for voice-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only vegan food

------------------

Posts: 4 | From: Narvik, Norway | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
trowelblister
Geek
Member # 897

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2001 17:25      Profile for trowelblister   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by voice-:
Only vegan food

mostly vegan, but have a weakness for pizza,,,,

Posts: 242 | From: lansdale, pa, usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Blutrane
Geek Apprentice
Member # 992

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted November 20, 2001 02:06      Profile for Blutrane   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
food? i know not of this food you speak of.

i merely inject..i mean drink the necessary amount of caffeine needed as delivered by code red mountain dew

------------------
Something is Coming Soon to Theatre near you...

Posts: 43 | From: Rio Rancho, New Mexico, U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
miliani
Geek Apprentice
Member # 999

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted November 26, 2001 22:58      Profile for miliani   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Supreme Pizza with extra sauce!!!!!! =D

OR... sushi. Spicy sushi. >=)

OR... barbequed ribs. The way dad makes 'em.

OR... my mom's pot roast.

OR... my grandma's sinigang... gotta love that Filipino food!!!!

Unfortunately, though, I had a sandwich for lunch and leftovers for dinner... but, alas, when you work more than 12 hours straight, without a lunch break, you tend to not really want to cook any gourmet dinners when you get home at the end of the day... Is it me, or are geeks underappreciated? I think I'm an overworked, almost burned-out engineer... =P

Posts: 45 | From: atlanta, ga, usa | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tau Zero
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 195

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2001 10:08      Profile for Tau Zero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crawgator, is that minced, chopped or powdered garlic in your recipe there?  I'm suddenly interested in trying out a little cajun cooking.

I'm heavily omnivorous.  I used to grill a lot of chicken and some steak, and do stir-fry, but I've gotten out of the habit of stir-frying and I quit grilling when my grill broke.  Fortunately most of the stuff I liked to grill still tastes fine when oven-roasted, so I do that on occasion.  I make a pretty good pork roast and I've gotten into a habit of making casserole dishes which work fine with leftover whatever but could be made meatless if so desired; they depend heavily on pasta, tomato sauces, onions, mushrooms and whatever veggies are handy so they don't necessarily depend on any one thing in particular.

I used to make a pretty good pie crust but I haven't had the inclination to make pie in a while.  I can whip up enough chicken-noodle or mushroom-barley soup to feed a small army, though.  Got any small armies you want fed?

<τ needs a woman to cook for>

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture