homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » What do geeks eat? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What do geeks eat?
DivaGeek
Geek
Member # 901

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted September 22, 2001 01:12      Profile for DivaGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do geeks eat? Is ramen and burgers the most common? Burrito's and Pizza? Chicken stirfry over white rice?

Do you make your own food, or does it come in a box?

Personally I like cooking (but hate cleaning up) so I make a pretty mean pork chop, cajun chicken breasts, spagetti, bread etc.

I should say ... sometimes I do. I find mself making Ramen and tuna sandwiches more often than not!

What is your most common meal?

------------------
I see dumb people...they're everywhere...they walk around like everyone
else...they don't even know that they're dumb.

Posts: 142 | From: The city by that great big dead lake | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
sk00t
Mini Geek
Member # 886

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted September 22, 2001 01:51      Profile for sk00t     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
coffee.
Coffee and sugar. Lots of sugar.

Posts: 57 | From: Olsztyn, Poland | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
xobender
Alpha Geek
Member # 721

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2001 02:56      Profile for xobender     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am so lucky to have the biggest oriental shop in the midwest here in mpls..UNITED NOODLE. All my fav needs of ramen come from there and not to mention MISO soup..yum!! But other than that..umm stout beer , ramen , toast , coffee , water , gum , meat , and whatever i can make of my imagination. My favorites been home made split pea soup with lots and lots of bacon and crackers..yup!

Posts: 314 | From: OMG..There Breaking in..HELP!!!! | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanoxt R'rilander
Alpha Geek
Member # 890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2001 13:39      Profile for Xanoxt R'rilander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Insta noodles? 3 min 10 pence ones (hrm, I think they would cost about quarter in America) Are bes all round insta food. They are best cripsps second to none. (Walkers and whatnot yuk!).

But ultimate junk food are orange juice and crab fingers (Crab fingers: ultimate junk food strikes back! It is saga. Epic. Legendary stuff. Basicly it is rolled fish meat, processed, and with crab flavoring. Yet it is tasty (words tender, mouthwatering and delicious spring to mind) and even healthy. I know it sounds strange).

We also have caviar made of petroleum (almost as good as the real stuff).

Soo... king of food is:

Liquid Bread! The King! BEER!

I am not beyond cooking, but I tend to avoid it and do absolute minimum. When required (and probably I have a cook book for ideas) I can do quite highstar and delicious stuff.

------------------
Be afraid. Be very, very afraid!

Posts: 319 | From: Moscow, Russia, Earth | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
plastic
Geek
Member # 763

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted September 22, 2001 19:00      Profile for plastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of soup and lots of soda, every once in a while I just crave some greasy eggrolls.
Oh, yeah and deli/butcher sandwichs.

Posts: 180 | From: Land of Lincoln | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2001 19:37      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ramen noodles! chicken + stars, campbell's chunky beef stew, and that macaroni that comes already in the little plastic bowl.

cereal is always high on my easy-to-prepare food list, as is toast.

LostInColorado

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 862

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2001 20:26      Profile for LostInColorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tenderloin filets, Salmon, rice, crab filled raviolis... oops... Looks like I don't follow the typical geek diet... Well, I do go through large quantities of coffee laced with sugar and cream... It may be my geek saving grace

------------------
LostInColorado

To the optimist, the glass is halfway full.
To the pessimist, the glass is halfway empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Posts: 117 | From: Thornton, CO, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2001 00:23      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coffee... black and strong is a constant. If i'm having it for breakfast i put some sugar and milk in it. Jolt if i need the massive sugar influx too.

When i cook for myself (and i use the term "cook" fairly loosely ) it is usually sandwiches or something that can be microwaved. Veggie dogs are good for that. I can boil water, but when we start to get into complex things like *watching* stuff, and stirring occasionally it decreases the chances of the end product being edible. Cereal is also pretty popular... dump in bowl, pour milk on top, eat. Fruit too, because all you have to do is wash it. And at work: machine food.

If i decide to get really gourmet i make spaghetti. With sauce from a jar. Delivery is good, unfortunately i usually think of it too late, and everybody is closed.

And of course, a multivitamin.

Posts: 1150 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
MrJ
Geek-in-Training
Member # 730

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2001 11:17      Profile for MrJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my shopping list:

(Creamy chicken) ramen, mac & cheese, spaghetti and meatballs (from can) or spaghetti with meat sauce if I ever decide to be make non-can servings, subs (bought made), pizza (papa johns), peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (or some meat slices if I ever have any), salads (packaged, just add cheese, croutons, dressing), chicken nuggets (precooked frozen), doritos, pringles, crackers with cheese or peanut butter and sugar, gummy fruits, instant maple & brown sugar oatmeal, cereal, chicken noodle or vegetables soups from cans, Campbell's Chunky soups, cheeseburgers (from fast food places), tacos (fast food), hot dogs, ravioli (can), cottage cheese with fruit cocktail, pie (bought made), yogurt (fruit-on-the-bottom), pudding (cups), cookies, ice cream, waffles, french toast, bagels with cream cheese, grape-cranberry juice, orange juice, chocolate milk, milk (mainly for cereal and mac & cheese), mountain dew...

That's pretty much everything. As you can see, there's very little cooking involved.

Posts: 35 | From: near Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
LostInColorado

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 862

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2001 11:31      Profile for LostInColorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok... Maybe my previous post did not cover all of my diet...

I do enjoy spaghetti... I miss my mom's sauce a lot. It is really, really good.

I do enjoy pastas. I'll have soup (from a can) every so often. I do have chicken. I have about a weeks worth of Uncle Ben's rice bowls, just in case I get home and do not want to cook. And just to remember the good old days of college, where I was broke, I got myself a few packs of Ramen noodles...

I do enjoy sushi. Fresh, not what you find in the fish section of the grocery store.

I love chinese food... Sometimes, after work, I call a chinese restaurant around work and pick up some food on my way home... They have awesome food at that restaurant.

I do tend to cook a lot. I am still going through my list of food I like but had to avoid cooking because of my roomates not liking it (rice, couscous, fish, seafood, lamb, etc).

And let's not forget beer and wine. This goes from the house's Chianti at the corner trattoria to the beaujolais and carbanet sauvignons... As for beer, mostly microbrews and imports... Sorry, no bud light for me...

I am getting tired of cooking just for myself, but that's another discussion for another thread

------------------
LostInColorado

To the optimist, the glass is halfway full.
To the pessimist, the glass is halfway empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Posts: 117 | From: Thornton, CO, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Holliday
Highlie
Member # 598

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2001 12:21      Profile for Doc Holliday   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of Pepsi, lots of popsicles and ever night 2 hours before bed I eat 3 cans of tuna in a cup of brown rice with a slight Vinegarette.
Posts: 517 | From: I'm right behind you!!! | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Janeway
Assimilated
Member # 78

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2001 14:02      Profile for Janeway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ramen noodles--Oriental, picante chicken, shrimp, beef, chicken, hot and spicy

Spaghettios, yogurt, tv dinners, and couscous for when I feel like cooking. Mozzerella cheese sticks, Sugar puffs, vegetarian bacon (mm mmm good!), dried pineapple, ramen-in-a-cup: same flavors as above, just add chili, creamy pesto and cheddar, fast food, usually Taco Bell.

Posts: 468 | From: Cyberspace, Delta Quadrant | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Kiggy
Geek-in-Training
Member # 892

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2001 19:58      Profile for Kiggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
whatever...

I'm 95% omnivorous

------------------
"Doesn't have a point of view
Knows not where he's going to
Isn't he a bit like you and me."
The Beatles - Nowhere Man

Posts: 34 | From: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
octothorp
Assimilated
Member # 339

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2001 21:05      Profile for octothorp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I follow an Iron Chef philosophy to cooking. If you have the equipment, get lots of good ingredients, and are willing to put in a bit of time, you can cook some amazing meals. I think I've already shared on here my affection for any food that you light on fire (rum and brandy fried bananas or coq au vin). I'm also very fond of cooking with souteast asian ingredients: lime-juice and cilantro are the only flavourings you ever really need.
Tonight I tried a new expiriment: phyllo-pastry mushroom pie. oyster and portabello mushrooms lightly sauteed and then cooked in a phyllo-pastry covering. In retrospect I should have used a spring-form pan so that the sides would be crispier and it would be less of a casserole, but it still tasted good. Oh, and I used Ricotta cheese which I'm not sure I'd use again. The mushrooms would have enough flavours of their own.
Someday when I have money to burn, I want to open a deli.

#

Posts: 361 | From: calgary, alberta, canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2001 02:54      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Food, I am not allowed food.

What I like and what I have to eat are two different things, especially as I am slipping in my diet.

Bacon, eggs, sausages, mushrooms, hash browns and baked beans all washed down with coffee, dark and strong.

Allowed:
Salads, fruit, low-fat foods.

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2001 06:32      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Baby carrots. Raisans. Caffeinated beverages. PB&J's.
Actually I cook for myself a lot - things like stir-fry and soup. I make a whole lot of food, eat some, and store the rest for other nights when cooking is not an option.
Tupperware and microwaves are gifts from the gods.

------------------
Take by surprise and the world gives up resistance.
- Tennesee Williams

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2001 07:04      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I eat anything that isn't nailed down. I do, however, like variety and tastiness, so soy based meat substitutes are only troted out to make my wife happy sometimes. I also stay away from internal organs - liver, brains, kidneys - you know, the disgusting stuff.

I do a lot of the cooking since I work from the house. Balancing work and the kid's activities schedules don't leave a lot of time, so I got good at preparing things that require little prep time. The trick is to never forget that flavor is as important as nutrition if you want to enjoy life.

At least one night a week is pasta. There's no need for that sauce in a jar shit. You can make fresh tomato, clam or pesto sauce during the time it takes for the water to boil. Or, just saute some vegetables with a little tomato paste and have that on the pasta. Grilled meats are great becuase you can marinate them the night before and then pull them out of the fridge to cook. I got myself a 40K BTU grill (rather than the normal 36K) so I can use it all year. Grilled fish is a favorite as well.

In the winter I make a lot of bean soups. They take a few hours to slow cook, but I can set them up when I have lunch, and come up and stir during breaks. Add a salad and a loaf of garlic bread you're set.

Octothorp: The mushroom pastry thing sounds yummy. I love portabello's. I make a grilled portabello quesadilla that IMHO is out of this world.

Frequently there must be a beverage. That pretty much comes down to coffee, tea, wine and the occasional glass of lemonade. In my youth (and when I worked in offices with coffee makers) I used to down 10 to 15 cups a day. Now I am slowed down by the simple act of laziness towards making fresh pots. I have more tea now because it's quicker to make. Herbal teas are good because they help prevent me from getting dehydrated. Dinner requires wine.

Today is actually a special food day for me. I just harvested my habeneros and am about to blanch them as the first step for making my hot sauce. This is a serious sinus clearing activity. Taking peppers that can be used to blind people and dropping them in boiling vinegar is always a thrill. (Well, for me at least).

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanoxt R'rilander
Alpha Geek
Member # 890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2001 08:26      Profile for Xanoxt R'rilander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, food. Here are two great recepies, russian student dorm style.

Recepie number 0:

Get all edible things from the fridge and a bowl. Put things into bowl. Mix.
You can eat it now.

Recepie number 1:
Take recepie number 0 and fry.

Recepie number 2:
Take recepie number 0 and boil.

That is all. Fast, edible, nutritious and whatnot!

------------------
Be afraid. Be very, very afraid!

Posts: 319 | From: Moscow, Russia, Earth | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Greg Wooledge
Alpha Geek
Member # 165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2001 08:57      Profile for Greg Wooledge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm somewhere in between the extremes who've reported here.

I cook more often than my wife does. Often, it's just microwaving or toaster-ovening something from the freezer for the kids. (My older son is very picky when it comes to food; he only eats about 4 different things. Breaded chicken patties (plain) are one of them.)
My younger son eats a wider variety. He really likes mashed potatos (I use flakes from a box; you can make a child-sized serving). He also likes scrambled eggs. But he'll typically eat whatever I'm eating.

For myself, I make a fair variety of stuff, but usually not from scratch.

• Spaghetti and other pastas are good, but I use sauce from a jar or can.
  • I use hamburger helper and chicken helper quite often.
  • Tacos are good (just ground beef and flavoring from a packet, plus whatever you put on top).
  • If I'm in a more "gourmet" mood, I'll make something Chinese -- fried rice if I want to share with my wife who dislikes spicy stuff, or Kung Pao Chicken for me.
  • Burgers and hot dogs on a grill. This is mandatory during the summer months in the US -- I think they'll call the men in white coats if you don't barbecue at least once a month.
  • When I'm lazier, I'll use Lipton pasta dinners (add water, milk and butter, boil, serve), or Ramen noodles (pork).

Posts: 256 | From: Lorain, OH, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Geekatrix
Geek
Member # 826

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2001 08:59      Profile for Geekatrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In theory, I eat a super crunchy, mostly lacto-ovo vegatarian diet with lots of whole grains, fresh raw fruits and vegatables, various plant protiens, yogurt, an occasional hunk of broiled fish, and a big bowl of granola every morning to get the day off to a roaring start. Plus as much black and green tea as I can drink and still be able to sleep at night. This seems to be the optimal diet for me in terms of energy, immunity, and not letting my desk job go straight to my butt.

In reality, I don't get out to the grocery store enough and don't feel like cooking when I get home from work, so I end up eating a lot of pasta, frozen burritos, and rice-pilaf-in-a-box. Then those times when I've been working too hard and not sleeping enough, and just need some convenient, concentrated fuel to get me through the afternoon. That's when a medium McDonald's Extra Value Meal #2 with Dr. Pepper to go comes in handy.

Posts: 154 | From: NYC | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roceal
Geek
Member # 878

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2001 09:40      Profile for Roceal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
General diet: lots of carbos-- bread, pasta, potatoes, yum; fresh veggies & fruit (I love summer produce); cheese & other dairy products; less often unnatural awful stuff like mac & cheese, Doritos, Power Bars, and corn nuts; of course chocolate & ice cream and any combination thereof; and every once in a while I'll have a small amount of fish or chicken. I like to cook, but when I'm busy at work it doesn't always happen. Breakfasts are usually cereal or oatmeal, lunches are generally sandwiches/ soups/ salad, or mac & cheese. My most common dinner meal is probably some rough variation of an Italian pasta dish, with either tomato-based or cheese-based sauce, veggies on the side or in the pasta, maybe salad, too. Beverages? Coffee, tea, water. Sometimes carbonated sugar water, but more likely some kind of fruit juice.
Posts: 159 | From: That place, you know, with the thing | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2001 17:17      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I eat a lot of frozen tv dinners. Mostly the healthy ones, but sometimes the Marie Calendar's lasagna. When I do cook, it most often winds up with me stir frying whatever vegetables and meat were on sale at the store that evening, then tossing that with some pasta and a bit of olive oil.
Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Parity
Geek
Member # 429

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2001 23:09      Profile for Parity   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in the first place, I'm a vegetarian, so, I eat non-meat food (I do eat dairy and eggs, though.) In the second place, my housemate can be an extreme pain in the ass when I don't wash the dishes immediately, so I've just given up using dishes. This means most of my meals are at restaurants or delivered food (pizza, chinese... there -used- to be a mexican place that delivered.) The rest are sandwiches. Yes, I have to clean the knife still, but whatever. I use lots of coffee cups too.

What I actually eat? Pizza, subs, szechuan this-n-that, and other chinese food too, especially steamed vegetable dumplings, knishes, spanokopita, hummus, falafel, burritos, rice, pasta, veggie-burgers, IHOP-food (omlettes, pancakes, etc.) ... and whatever else I feel like eating.

Parity None

Posts: 212 | From: Appended to the Data Bits | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2001 19:38      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DivaGeek:
What do geeks eat?

What is your most common meal?

Although I'm an excellent cook, when I get home from work the last thing I want to do is cook. I don't often get a burger and fries, though; I will generally stop at Church's Fried chicken and pick up a dozen or so pieces. I'll eat two and the rest go in to the fridge or freezer for later consumption. I plan most of my meals around leftovers.

I do try to balance my diet according to the geek food groups:
Sugar, salt, fat, caffeine and cholesterol (and sometimes nicotine!)

If I don't have my triple venti mocha with a shot of caramel sauce and sausage mcmuffin with egg in the morning, I just might not make it to lunch!

BTW, pure chocolate bars supply three out of the five, but Snicker snack-size bring four (no cholesterol.)

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
DivaGeek
Geek
Member # 901

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted September 30, 2001 20:06      Profile for DivaGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LifetimeTrekker:

BTW, pure chocolate bars supply three out of the five, but Snicker snack-size bring four (no cholesterol.)

Chocolate is necassary for a balanced diet ...I really wish I believed that. :\ M&M's (plain) are my weakness. Yuuuummmmmm.

It's been proven that women need chocolate... (Hmmm, I know I have that article are around here somewhere ... I'll get back to you on that!)

------------------
I see dumb people...they're everywhere...they walk around like everyone
else...they don't even know that they're dumb.

Posts: 142 | From: The city by that great big dead lake | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture